Is your Exetel ADSL2+ upgrade experience all you expected ?

Old, inactive threads

Yes, no problems and the speed's magic !
26%
There were problems initially, but fixed now
31%
Not as good as expected, but better than 1.5M
18%
I've learnt to live with it
10%
I wish I could go back to ADSL1
15%

Total votes: 39

donburch

Post by donburch » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks Exetel for the "ADSL2+ Special Offer"; it seems too good to be true !

After checking other customer experiences in your forum, I get the impression that there are still significant problems with ADSL2 - particularly with getting connected, then dropouts and slow speed.

While I'm sure that you have many satisfied ADSL2+ customers; I have no desire to risk being one of the "unlucky" group with no internet access for weeks (or months), and getting only run-around from Exetel, while being locked into a contract. The last straw is the "Exetel Customer Service Guarantee Waiver".

So no, it is too good to be true. If you can't get ADSL2+ working right, I'm not prepared to give up the right to complain about it.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi Don,

The number of issues experienced by Exetel users seem to be similar to those of many other ISPs. I'll grant that there has been a dearth of useful information posted accessibly here, compounded by a welcome letter that is too simplistic and omits some important caveats.

I'm an IT guy; I can say that in the five recent setups performed recently for Exetel (via Optus) ADSL2+ customers, all have been rock solid once (a) the modem was configured correctly and (b) compliant filters were installed (apart from one case where the DLINK modem caused an issue that required Exetel and Optus to sort out).

Performance of each connection has been to specification for ADSL2+ in general. That is: connection speed falls off with distance; in some cases, an 8000 profile is warranted; the service is more sensitive to local environmental impact (noise and so on). Issues like this affect all ADSL2+ connections from all ISPs; they are inherent in this technology.

ineedaname

Post by ineedaname » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Well said Chris.

I had problems initially but once I had setup corectly from my end all is fine, I even said to the wife this is the biggest mistake i've ever made while trying to get it going.

My only beef is that we had no Internet for 3 days as our modem wasn't ADSL2 compliant so we had to be cutover & then have our modem sent out. Speed is approx 3-4 times quicker then the 512/128 I was on but I still think i'm going threough setup problems which will hopefully improve that speed more as well.

donburch

Post by donburch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:32 pm

For what it's worth, my job is Tech Support for ADSL/ADSL2+ modem/routers ... and so I'm quite familiar with many of the problems. After reading here, I now know that it's not just the brand we sell ... all ADSL2+ modem brands and ISPs seem to have their share of problems.

I just wish that we had some real answers for the unlucky customers. My concern is that we (IT enthusiasts) and exetel are encouraging customers to upgrade before all the 'kinks' have been ironed out of ADSL2+.

The first 10 poll votes seem to support this, with 7/10 having problems with ADSL2+ upgrade - though I understand that happy customers have no desire/need to patrol the forums :wink:

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:34 pm

I think many users will find this post useful. It explains some of the issues with ADSL2..

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=18453
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

ymo

Post by ymo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:47 pm

donburch wrote: The first 10 poll votes seem to support this, with 7/10 having problems with ADSL2+ upgrade
Mine is one of the 7. The initial trouble was that the actual transfer didn't happen the day it should have (but the ADSL1 service was removed so I had 3 days with no net). Other than that, my service has been generally very reliable - no noticeable dropouts (apart from the day when Optus was affected by fires in Sydney). I am not a big P2P user so cannot comment on that. I also went from a 512k plan to a current 13.9Mbit/s sync rate and can at times get a suitably high transfer rate.

bordo

Post by bordo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:18 pm

My changeover was simple. Came home from work and my modem had already reconnected. My connection is dead solid:

System Uptime: 598 hours 19 minutes
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Speed: 807/9485kbps

Description Type IP State Online Primary DNS Disconnect Reason
QuickStart pppoa xxx.xxx.xx.xx Connected 598hr 22min 25sec 220.233.0.3 N/A

That is 25 days without an interruption to my connection. I had been connected for over 400 hours previously but wanted to see if PPPoA was any quicker (I was synced at 8500, it was a bit quicker).

As for speed:

A while back the downloads were a bit flat in off peak but the bandwidth has been upgraded since then.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:19 pm

ADSL2+

Shad0x

Post by Shad0x » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 pm

My experience has been mostly good. ADSL2 is new, and even for exetel who are using hardware from suppliers who are also new and are running newly developed systems to make all this work. Theres bound to be problems

My change over was mostly painless, i changed to Powertel based adsl2+, which has a massive downtime during change over compared to optus. I knew it was coming, the only painful part was i didn't know when (i got the email notifying me that it'd be cut off on so and so date and how to log in with the new password setup and such after i had actually been cut off).

Apart from that service has been great most of the time, that issue not too long ago with the super slow speeds put a damper on the experience and i've been having constant time outs to a few gaming services (which are easily fixed by a power cycle of my router, hoping this'll be fixing by that new hardware thats coming around the 16th). Apart from that i get 5mb/1mb speeds and i'm very happy, people on the forums are very helpful too, which is great compared to ...well 100% of other ISP's :p)

i just wish i could get the "theoretical" 13mb speed down speed :( or even "up closer" to that (eg around 8mb or so), i've asked a few questions on these forums about it but yet to get any answers, i think my lines got some bad bits to it thats all (though its SNR is 10-12..)

mattski

Post by mattski » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:12 pm

ADSL2+
Roughly 0.6km from the exchange.

... can't really complain.