New (Low Volume) Wireless Service

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

New (Low Volume) Wireless Service

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:53 am

Exetel is in the final stages of negotiations to offer a wireless data service based on the "3" network.

Currently over 1,200 users of the Exetel wireless broadband service download less than 1 gb per month and a further 300 users download less than 2 gb per month.

In preliminary tests done by Exetel the "3" data service easily exceeds 1,500 kbps down and 256 kbps up.

At the moment the lowest cost Exetel wireless broadband service costs $45.00 per month for a 256/64 kbps speed.

If the negotiations with "3" are successful, Exetel plans to offer a 1500/256 (or better) service at the same price of $45.00 per month with 1 gb of included download.

There will be no set up/activation fee and the necessary USB modem will be included on a 24 month contract at no charge.

The coverage available is most areas of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and also some areas of Perth, Canberra, the Gold Coast and Adelaide.

The USB modem is completely portable and the "3" coverage and congestionless infrastructure is comprehensive within the stated coverage areas.

Any suggestions/interest/opinions are, as always, welcome before we make any final decisions.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

James D

Post by James D » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:02 am

ceebee

Post by ceebee » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:01 am

Can you advise how big the Modem is? I know teltra have a USB modem the size of a matchbox.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:46 am

I can't see how if you are a traveling salesman or service rep etc you could say no to a service like this.

Price wise it is much more attractive than Telstra's NextG offerings.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:22 pm

ceebee wrote:Can you advise how big the Modem is? I know teltra have a USB modem the size of a matchbox.
It's about that size.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:18 pm

I think this is absolutely brilliant, i will be signing up if all is successful. Fingers crossed :) Will there be larger plans available as well?

paddles

Post by paddles » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:19 am

That's interesting. A few questions:

- How does the 3 network compare to the Unwired network in terms of black spots etc.?

- "Congestionless" seems a pretty big call (I know people in some areas have had problems with congestion on the Unwired towers, although I've never had that problem myself). Is there any info you can point me towards to understand a bit better why/how this can be claimed? 3's page about HSDPA seems to suggest network usage could be an issue?

- Is the modem available for desktop computers, or only laptops? (3's page refers to a laptop card, but I don't see any mention of USB modems - the options there seemed to be a PCMCIA laptop card, or plugging a 3 phone into the computer.) Is becoming a 3 telephone customer required?

- How would the provisioning of cross-connect between Exetel and 3 compare to that between Exetel and Unwired? (If memory serves, this was perceived as an occasional issue for the early adopters, whether correctly or not.)

- What excess gigabyte rate would you expect to have on the Exetel plans? (I don't go anywhere near my monthly limit on Exetel-Unwired-wireless, but I'd probably want more than 1GB if using Exetel-3-wireless.)

- Does the 3 network use similar or different frequency bands to the Unwired network? Would the patterns of interference from other things (metal objects, rain, etc.) follow similar or different characteristics to Unwired?

- (Not of interest to me, but others may be interested) Would the 3 network support hand-off between towers (e.g. if you were using a laptop on a moving train), or is it more a wireless connection to a stationary point concept like Unwired?

- Have you considered an option of a shorter contract with some upfront payment?

- What sort of "try before you buy" policy would there be, i.e. for verifying that the connection is suitable before being locked into a contract?

Thanks

Tim

bodogbodog

Would there be an Off-Peak period?

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:26 am

Sounds great - will there be an Off-Peak period from 12mn to 12noon like in other plans when downloads are not counted towards monthly quota? (I guess the "Low Volume" in the title suggests not)
Last edited by bodogbodog on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

flak

Post by flak » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:44 am

Would be very interested in purchasing one (or more) for use for oncall support with work.

1. Will there be options for different contract lengths, etc?
2. Will the modem be 3 specific or locked, or will it be configurable for other services?
3. Already asked, but what will excess charges be like?
4. Is servcie available outside a 3 zone (ie fallback to another network)?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Would there be an Off-Peak period?

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:47 pm

kiwi wrote:Sounds great - will there be an Off-Peak period from 12mn to 12noon like in other plans when downloads are not counted towards monthly quota? (I guess the "Low Volume" in the title suggests not)
There will be no off peak/peak allowances - just the choice of 1 or 2 gb.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 pm

flak wrote:Would be very interested in purchasing one (or more) for use for oncall support with work.

1. Will there be options for different contract lengths, etc?
2. Will the modem be 3 specific or locked, or will it be configurable for other services?
3. Already asked, but what will excess charges be like?
4. Is servcie available outside a 3 zone (ie fallback to another network)?
1) 12 or 24 months.
2) "3" Specific.
3) 10 cents per mb.
4) Roaming to another network is $1.65 per mb - so really too expensive for other than a real emergency.

soulless

Post by soulless » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Will there be a pcmia card for laptops or is it just USB modem only?

Will existing Exetel customers get a bundle discount?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 am

soulless wrote:1)Will there be a pcmia card for laptops or is it just USB modem only?

2) Will existing Exetel customers get a bundle discount?
1) Yes - both PCMCIA and USB.

2) No final details are available yet.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:50 pm

paddles wrote:That's interesting. A few questions:

1) - How does the 3 network compare to the Unwired network in terms of black spots etc.?

2) - "Congestionless" seems a pretty big call (I know people in some areas have had problems with congestion on the Unwired towers, although I've never had that problem myself). Is there any info you can point me towards to understand a bit better why/how this can be claimed? 3's page about HSDPA seems to suggest network usage could be an issue?

3) - Is the modem available for desktop computers, or only laptops? (3's page refers to a laptop card, but I don't see any mention of USB modems - the options there seemed to be a PCMCIA laptop card, or plugging a 3 phone into the computer.) Is becoming a 3 telephone customer required?

4) - How would the provisioning of cross-connect between Exetel and 3 compare to that between Exetel and Unwired? (If memory serves, this was perceived as an occasional issue for the early adopters, whether correctly or not.)

5) - What excess gigabyte rate would you expect to have on the Exetel plans? (I don't go anywhere near my monthly limit on Exetel-Unwired-wireless, but I'd probably want more than 1GB if using Exetel-3-wireless.)

6) - Does the 3 network use similar or different frequency bands to the Unwired network? Would the patterns of interference from other things (metal objects, rain, etc.) follow similar or different characteristics to Unwired?

7) - (Not of interest to me, but others may be interested) Would the 3 network support hand-off between towers (e.g. if you were using a laptop on a moving train), or is it more a wireless connection to a stationary point concept like Unwired?

8) - Have you considered an option of a shorter contract with some upfront payment?

9) - What sort of "try before you buy" policy would there be, i.e. for verifying that the connection is suitable before being locked into a contract?

Thanks

Tim
1) Given the network information available from both companies the "3" network is 100+ times more capacity but then it has at least 100+ more users of telephone services.

2) For a mobile telephone service to operate there has to be no congestion. That's all the comment/claim was based on.

3) USB and PCMIA plug in to either a desk top or a laptop.

4) There is none - this will be a resell of the "3" service.

5) If 1 gb isn't going to be enough then select a 2 gb plan - if you require more than 2 gb then this is not a suitable service.

6) Entirely different spectrum.

7) It is 'roamable' but that has a significant downside.

8) It will be considered.

9) 7 days or something longer.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed May 02, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExetelRocks

Post by ExetelRocks » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Are uploads counted?