Streaming TV (Other Languages)

Old, inactive threads
karLos

Post by karLos » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 pm

wow i just sat here for a few minutes watching this crazy guy in a pirate shirt circle things madly with a computer pen.

chinese tv is awesome.

DaXiuyi

Post by DaXiuyi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
DaXiuyi wrote:

Any word on which Korean TV channels will be streamed?
Not at this early stage. Our main objective is to establish that a widely accepted standard of quality can be sustained over a wide user base at an economic cost to Exetel.

If that proves to be the case and the licensing with the networks can be put in place on realistic terms then we will proceed with whichever networks wish to deliver their programs via internet partners in Australia.

Our investigations to date indicate that the networks we have been in contact with have a sensible level of interest in doing this but don't have 'off the shelf' contracts/operating procedures in place that fit the model we believe we would be able to make work.
Managed to get it working using mms://, thanks very much.

Quality is very good - loads no problem (if I can read the messages from VLC, I think it said 986kb/s). I did get some funny ones though along the lines of "late picture skipped" etc. Should I be concerned?

Hope it can be expanded ASAP! Very good service :)

EDIT: Using ADSL2+ (Optus) on Windows XP. Works using both VLC and Windows Media Player 11.
Last edited by DaXiuyi on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Watched the stream for 15 minutes tonight, on a 1536 ADSL1 connection. It worked flawlessly, video and audio streamed perfect. No loss of audio, or pausing.

Running Windows XP, and Windows Media Player 11.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Works fine on ADSL2

Also running Windows XP, and Windows Media Player 11.

sleeping247

Post by sleeping247 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Wow, all this sounds very promising, and would definitely like to try it out.
When do you guys intend to keep this trialling period for? The reason I ask this is because I'm currently overseas and wont return until August, so would like to know if theres a possibility I would be able to try it out by the time I get back.
Cheers

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:20 pm

sleeping247 wrote:Wow, all this sounds very promising, and would definitely like to try it out.
When do you guys intend to keep this trialling period for? The reason I ask this is because I'm currently overseas and wont return until August, so would like to know if theres a possibility I would be able to try it out by the time I get back.
Cheers
The plan is to keep the trial going until the end of August with two or maybe three channels from 2 or 3 different networks if that turns out to be possible.

ymo

Post by ymo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:38 pm

I also tried it last night on my Exetel/Optus ADSL2+ link. No problems with mms://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV but rtsp://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV did not work (Real Player put up an unhelpful dialog box).

As I don't speak Chinese, it is not something I would ever use but the picture and sound quality were certainly adequate for viewing.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:29 am

ymo wrote:I also tried it last night on my Exetel/Optus ADSL2+ link. No problems with mms://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV but rtsp://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV did not work (Real Player put up an unhelpful dialog box).
Could you try the rtsp link now?

Andrew

ymo

Post by ymo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:12 pm

I will try the rtsp link again this afternoon when I get home.

Edit: I tried it again with the same results.
A General Error has occurred.
rtsp://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV
More information is available at the RealNetworks Customer Support Website.
(More Info)
(OK)
If I click the More Info button I get
Unable to contact Technical Support for further information.
More information is available at the RealNetworks Customer Support Website.
(More Info)
(OK)
This is RealPlayer(tm)(win32) Version 10.5 ... Build 6.0.12.1235.

I only use RealPlayer to listen to BBC7.

(Looks like some updates are available - I guess I should install them).
Last edited by ymo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arachnologist

Do you have any idea how much it might cost?

Post by arachnologist » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:37 pm

OK, have seen the trial - looks OK, though I can't speak Chinese at all (alas!).
You mentioned there might be some channels in the language I might be interested in. The question is: is it going to be much cheaper then subscribing to cable or satellite TV through third parties? I, when assessing the possibility should consider the fact that I have to allocate some PC to the lounge room, lay cables, etc. It all might come up as $1000 at least. So the service should be substantially cheaper than that of normal third party TV content providers. Any indications?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Do you have any idea how much it might cost?

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:12 pm

arachnologist wrote:OK, have seen the trial - looks OK, though I can't speak Chinese at all (alas!).
You mentioned there might be some channels in the language I might be interested in. The question is: is it going to be much cheaper then subscribing to cable or satellite TV through third parties? I, when assessing the possibility should consider the fact that I have to allocate some PC to the lounge room, lay cables, etc. It all might come up as $1000 at least. So the service should be substantially cheaper than that of normal third party TV content providers. Any indications?
The most likely languages are:

Spanish
Portuguese
Greek
Italian
Turkish
Arabic
Farsi

As to costs - they will need to be competitve with the satellite verions of those channels.

What the costs might be is undetermined as yet.

Fuzion

Post by Fuzion » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:51 pm

do you know if www.dragontv.cn will be provided as a channel by TVB if the trial is successful>

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Fuzion wrote:do you know if www.dragontv.cn will be provided as a channel by TVB if the trial is successful>
If there is a succesful outcome it would include all TVB channels.

shawnf

Post by shawnf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 pm

The most likely languages are:

Spanish
Portuguese
Greek
Italian
Turkish
Arabic
Farsi

What the costs might be is undetermined as yet.

I presume they are just the Europe channels? What about other Asian channels? I know my wife would like Thai, although we get TGN straight from free to air Sat. Any ideas if you will be hosting other Thai channels?
Watched a bit tonight and the picture was very good and sound seemed ok (couldn't understand it either but seemed in sync) . On ADSL2+ 8MB connection.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 am

shawnf wrote:
I presume they are just the Europe channels? What about other Asian channels? I know my wife would like Thai, although we get TGN straight from free to air Sat. Any ideas if you will be hosting other Thai channels?
Watched a bit tonight and the picture was very good and sound seemed ok (couldn't understand it either but seemed in sync) . On ADSL2+ 8MB connection.
I don't know as this is a new initiative for Exetel and we have only started the process of determining what could be possible.