Streaming TV (Other Languages)

Old, inactive threads
gong_guy

Re: Do you have any idea how much it might cost?

Post by gong_guy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:43 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: I don't know as this is a new initiative for Exetel and we have only started the process of determining what could be possible.
If I can ask a technical question... if it is commercially sensitive then please ignore it.

I understand how you can not charge for data from Exetel to the customer from your data center but wouldn't hundreds or thousands of people watching 1MBit IP TV ALL night (as people do) flood the exchange backhaul links?

Just curious, is this even a consideration these days?

From my experience backhaul capacity is one of the big hassles with ADSL

ForumAdmin

Re: Do you have any idea how much it might cost?

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:38 pm

gong_guy wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: I don't know as this is a new initiative for Exetel and we have only started the process of determining what could be possible.
If I can ask a technical question... if it is commercially sensitive then please ignore it.

I understand how you can not charge for data from Exetel to the customer from your data center but wouldn't hundreds or thousands of people watching 1MBit IP TV ALL night (as people do) flood the exchange backhaul links?

Just curious, is this even a consideration these days?

From my experience backhaul capacity is one of the big hassles with ADSL
Backhaul issues will increasingly become more intrusive as this 'wave' of graphics intensive applications become more widely used - that is usually dealt with in the carrier's wholesale agreements under 'acceptable usage' clauses.

Certainly Telstra appeared to be surprised about the impact of their release of 'unlimited' ADSL1 which took them three months to get back on track and, presumably, that was compounded by their own release of ADSL2.

However the FTTN and similar initiatives are designed to overcome this backhaul issue in the, hopefully not too distant, future.

In the mean time I would anticipate that the use of IPTV will be in the tens of thousands of users at 1.2 mbps so, out of 2,500,000+ ADSL users round Australia, there would be little impact on Telstra's network.

It will be interesting to see how the other aspiring network deployers handle these considerations.

lee

Post by lee » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:38 pm

TPG is offering its ADSL2+ customers (at selected IPTV enabled exchanges) FREE IPTV with their broadband connections.
I wonder Exetel is going to do the same?

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:55 pm

lee wrote:TPG is offering its ADSL2+ customers (at selected IPTV enabled exchanges) FREE IPTV with their broadband connections.
TPG are only offering it as a trial at this point in time, and their webpage states that additional channels (both free and subscription based) will be added later. If you're going to quote their website, you want to include all of the quote:

"TPG is offering its ADSL2+ customers (at selected IPTV enabled exchanges) FREE IPTV Trial with their broadband connections. "

http://www.tpg.com.au/iptv/

This is similar to what Exetel are currently doing - offering a free trial, with charges to be established later.

DonkyKong

Post by DonkyKong » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Servers down atm?
First time i've tried and neither mms://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV or rtsp://durian.exetel.com.au/ExetelTV worked in VLC or WMP

DK

eecchhoo

Post by eecchhoo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Yeah i am unable to connect to the mms or rstp address either..

Is there any setting that need to be configured on the Mediaplayer 11?

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 pm

The stream appears to be offline, there are no special settings in WMP to make it work.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

brianlhm

Post by brianlhm » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:48 am

It will be interesting to see how much would TVB charge for redistributing their TV programs.

It is because in all the capital cities in Australia, TVB has their own satellite TV broadcast network charge from around $45 to $75, which depended on do you have to rent a satellite dish from them. And this price, if I am right and have to ask my friend to confirm, included 12 channels which broadcast in duel language (Cantonese and Mandarin).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 am

brianlhm wrote:It will be interesting to see how much would TVB charge for redistributing their TV programs.

It is because in all the capital cities in Australia, TVB has their own satellite TV broadcast network charge from around $45 to $75, which depended on do you have to rent a satellite dish from them. And this price, if I am right and have to ask my friend to confirm, included 12 channels which broadcast in duel language (Cantonese and Mandarin).
TVB definitely charge for the service plus the cost of the dish/installation.

As far as I know all other TV networks make charges for their services - how else does a commercial entity stay in business?

Some independent channels make no/low charges to the distributor for their channel as they make their money from advertising or from the services inherent in the service (Bloombergs springs to mind) or they are funded by some other source (their government) and want a wider audience to continue to justify their funding.

The networks that Exetel is currently in discussions with all charge for their services in Australia and IPTV will be used, if it's used, to eliminate the dish installation and purchase/rental costs and other dish related issues.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:22 am

CLoSeR wrote:The stream appears to be offline, there are no special settings in WMP to make it work.
This is correct. Hardware failure at the suppliers end. Expected ETA is within 1-2 days.

Andrew

jintao

Post by jintao » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Is it counted into download quota during this stage?

I think the resolution is acceptable for normal TV viewing, however the whole video appears to be washed out on either my laptop or TV. Is there anywhere in media play to adjust brightness? Thanks.

eecchhoo

Post by eecchhoo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:39 pm

THe sound quality is acceptable but the color on the video is not sharp enough and too bright.

Jake

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Klaas wrote:
lee wrote:TPG is offering its ADSL2+ customers (at selected IPTV enabled exchanges) FREE IPTV with their broadband connections.
TPG are only offering it as a trial at this point in time, and their webpage states that additional channels (both free and subscription based) will be added later. If you're going to quote their website, you want to include all of the quote:

"TPG is offering its ADSL2+ customers (at selected IPTV enabled exchanges) FREE IPTV Trial with their broadband connections. "

http://www.tpg.com.au/iptv/

This is similar to what Exetel are currently doing - offering a free trial, with charges to be established later.

but TPG is offering more channels :

DW
Bloomberg
Aljazeera
TV5
SCTV
Channel NewsAsia
Russia Today
TRT

and more : http://www.tpg.com.au/iptv/channel_desc.php

Kronau

Post by Kronau » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:05 pm

I like the quality - about TV quality.

The quality is like a DVD movie compressed to a 700mb size - for me highly acceptable.

I would like to use such a service.

gstark

Post by gstark » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:57 am

eecchhoo wrote:THe sound quality is acceptable but the color on the video is not sharp enough and too bright.
Sound quality is certainly acceptable, but for me - ADSL2+ - the video freezes after a few seconds, and fails to reestablish itself.