Exetel Web SMS API / PHP Class / Windows GUI (eXeSMS)

Old, inactive threads
Montaro

Post by Montaro » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Zool wrote:Awesome app :D

Im running Vista and cant add or import contacts, I get an error message something like "unable to write to c:\program files\eXeSMS\exesms.ini"
any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks
Steven
I'm running vista also. Perhaps you should check your UAC settings.. try exporting to a directory outside of the C:\Program Files\ tree and let me know your results.

leithant

Post by leithant » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Close eXeSMS. Do a search for exesms.ini and rename it to exesms.ini.old or something. Then restart.

seano

Post by seano » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Hmm is the download for http://www.exetel.com.au/files/exesms-1.4-setup.exe corrupted, ??? It wont execute, i get the following error..... and yes i have tried re downloading it !
"the installer that you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk or a failed download or a virus. You may want to contact the author of the installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /ncrc command line switch(not reccommended)

the switch doesnt work and neither does running it directly from site....

Any ideas?

**EDIT** works fine straight from your site Montaro, but not from the exetel link

Montaro

Post by Montaro » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:21 pm

seano wrote:**EDIT** works fine straight from your site Montaro, but not from the exetel link
I'll get on to some of the staff and let them know.

Anyone else getting these issues?

stealth

Post by stealth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 pm

I used that link and it worked fine for me.

Radical Posture

Post by Radical Posture » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 pm

. . . . . legend

Montaro

Bugs and Feature requests

Post by Montaro » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:32 am

For bugs and feature requests please visit http://bugs.montarotech.net/

This way I can ensure everything can be added and fixed, and I don't lose track of everything.

Davo2290

Ability to Store a list of messages to select from.

Post by Davo2290 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi Montaro..... what a great piece of software.

What would really complete it would be the ability to store a list of messages to select from.

One field for a title, one field for the message (160 characters) and, if images or video can be sent, a field for the path to that image etc.
Then Select the message from a list of titles. This would "plant" the message into the message field and allow for further editing of the message if needed.

By the way, I also wrote a stand alone exe program with this feature, and the ability to "mark" the person (or persons) to send the message. I also store other details on the mobile owner such as name, email (can send emails directly from software) and previous history of messages sent per mobile owner.

I just don't know how to interface directly with the web. Currently when I "send message" I store the script into the clipboard then paste it into my browser to send.

Does anyone know how to properly interface it?
I use Clarion 5.5 (www.softvelocity.com)
Any other clarion coders out there?

ianmarie

Post by ianmarie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:19 am

Montaro wrote:eXeSMS (Exetel SMS Windows GUI Interface) version 1.1 is out.

Fixed a few bugs
Few cosmetic changes
and a fully functional address book system

Next I plan to handle bulk SMS. I don't like the idea of 7c per sms when I'm testing the bulk sms feature lol :P

Anyway here is the link: http://www.montarotech.net/projects/eXeSMS

Direct download link here too if you are feeling lazy: http://www.montarotech.net/includes/pro ... S&type=bin

Would appreciate any suggestions or bug fixes..
Sorry - not a bug fix; but a very minor bug I found in the GUI.
When sending a longer message; (sample below)

test message to my mobile phone to see how well this new exetel sms api works. This is 71 characters longs at the spot where the 1 in 71 is. Now 13 characters.

fits within the window before it becomes two messages, with one character left.

However, when sent, it became two messages, with the letter "s." in the second message, and a "..." at the end of the first message

DLeung

Post by DLeung » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:34 pm

Muti-user scenarios:

In my case, I have a family of 4 and 3 PCs sharing the Exetel internet connection. I will install this wonderful SMS GUI on all my 3 PCs so that 4 of us can send SMS from any of the 3 PCs at any time.

We need to ensure the correct "sender" info. is captured and used when sending the SMS mesage.

To make things simple, Would you consider to have a mutli-user option in the SMS setup screen. Uncheck if you are the only person to use and check if I want to share the SMS API with others (e.g. family members on that PC).
  • Add the Sender field in the SMS screens so that you can see/set the sender details

If unchecked, shows the default sender name or mobile (readonly) for information

If checked, clears the Sender field. This will force the user to input the Sender name or mobile before the SMS can be sent

Montaro

Post by Montaro » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42 am

ianmarie wrote:Sorry - not a bug fix; but a very minor bug I found in the GUI.
When sending a longer message; (sample below)

test message to my mobile phone to see how well this new exetel sms api works. This is 71 characters longs at the spot where the 1 in 71 is. Now 13 characters.

fits within the window before it becomes two messages, with one character left.

However, when sent, it became two messages, with the letter "s." in the second message, and a "..." at the end of the first message
Ahh.. I see. I appreciate this issue being raised to me. Could you possibly open a task at http://bugs.montarotech.net/ so I can keep track of it and I will have it implemented and fixed for version 1.5?

Kindest Regards

Montaro

Post by Montaro » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 am

DLeung wrote:Muti-user scenarios:

In my case, I have a family of 4 and 3 PCs sharing the Exetel internet connection. I will install this wonderful SMS GUI on all my 3 PCs so that 4 of us can send SMS from any of the 3 PCs at any time.

We need to ensure the correct "sender" info. is captured and used when sending the SMS mesage.

To make things simple, Would you consider to have a mutli-user option in the SMS setup screen. Uncheck if you are the only person to use and check if I want to share the SMS API with others (e.g. family members on that PC).
  • Add the Sender field in the SMS screens so that you can see/set the sender details

If unchecked, shows the default sender name or mobile (readonly) for information

If checked, clears the Sender field. This will force the user to input the Sender name or mobile before the SMS can be sent
Hi,

Will look at adding multi-user features in the next release. Thanks for the ideas, eXeSMS has been thriving on user requested ideas since v1.1 so keep them coming! :)

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:37 pm

Everything installed and worked fine for me. The only odd things are these:

* If I open eXeSMS, use it then minimise it to the tray, next time I need it it opens with a double-click. If I close it using the X, it still goes to the tray, but if I need it again, I have to double-click it twice before it'll open. No big inconvenience, however :wink:

* When I send an SMS to my daughter who uses (I think) Virgin mobile, my sender name appears a bit garbled. She says some of the characters look like they're in Arabic!! I tried removing the é from my name and replacing it with a normal e but she still says the en in Renee looks like arabic characters.

Other than that, it's great little tool! :D

kiwigene

1 message (160 characters) actually sent as 2 messages

Post by kiwigene » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 am

I noticed last night that when I filled the whole message (exeSMS indicated 160 characters i.e. 0 characters left) it actually sent it out as two messages. Checking today I see that the 3 last characters where put in the 2nd message, but that in place of those 3 characters were ... (ellipses) at the end of the first message. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature of exeSMS. I just sent 159, 160 and 161 character SMS's from the website and they were sent/received as single messages, with the 161 character messaged charged at 10 cents.

Can the eXeSMS program be set up to do the same? Or do we need to make sure all our messages fit in at 159 characters? Maybe the counter could be changed to indicate 1 less character available so those of us wanting to use the max characters, but only want to send one message don't end up send two messages by mistake?

BTW - great app!

Montaro

Re: 1 message (160 characters) actually sent as 2 messages

Post by Montaro » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:42 pm

kiwigene wrote:I noticed last night that when I filled the whole message (exeSMS indicated 160 characters i.e. 0 characters left) it actually sent it out as two messages. Checking today I see that the 3 last characters where put in the 2nd message, but that in place of those 3 characters were ... (ellipses) at the end of the first message. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature of exeSMS. I just sent 159, 160 and 161 character SMS's from the website and they were sent/received as single messages, with the 161 character messaged charged at 10 cents.

Can the eXeSMS program be set up to do the same? Or do we need to make sure all our messages fit in at 159 characters? Maybe the counter could be changed to indicate 1 less character available so those of us wanting to use the max characters, but only want to send one message don't end up send two messages by mistake?

BTW - great app!
This was a silly bug that slipped through the beta testing stage. This is fixed in 1.5 - wait a few days and eXeSMS will ask you to update when it is out