Unlimited P2P

Old, inactive threads
kogi

Post by kogi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 pm

AthlonXP wrote:Does this mean people who are on the highest plans paying $110+ per month will need to be slugged with $10 extra per month for this?
I hope not. I'm one of those people.

I'm guessing I can $40-12gb or a $60-24gb plan. Plus $10 for free p2p. I'll be laughing

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 pm

So just to clarify, i am currently on the X09 plan which costs me 60 bucks a month, if I was to take this option i would get truly unlimited downloads (so i could download 100 gig if i wanted) and there is no de-prioritisation for P2P downloads and its cached?

Is that right, it sounds very generous to me (not that i could afford anymore than that anyways)?
TheToid

Soliah

Post by Soliah » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:00 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:2) Unlimited means unlimited.
So that means, if one was on said plan, they could download as much as they wanted via P2P and this would not result in excess charges and/or throttling of speed?

Would there be a normal download limit for non P2P traffic? Or would that be at a per GB rate?

davewantsmoore

CONFUSION!!!

Post by davewantsmoore » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm really confused.... and by the responses so is everybody else.

Can we get a better explanation of this please Exetel.

The way I read it, is for an extra $10 a month, I can download *unlimited* data via P2P at any time of the day or night, without any penalty (cost, throttling, pools, charges, etc. etc.) what-so-ever.

That seems to good to be true.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

It's about as clear as this answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

:lol:

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:26 pm

As joost and skype are also being sent via P2P (though not BT), can I assume we would get unlimited joost traffic for $10?

hmmm this might send exetel broke once joost releases itself from beta and has some proper channels to watch!

Mind you, it could send foxtel broke too - if only joost would get live (or near-live) sport! The next 10yrs will be VERY interesting ...

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Sounds interesting, but we really need some clarification.

If this is only for the most expensive plans then its not much interest.
But if its +10 to any of the current plans then im sure allot of people are going to be very interested.

So will it be all P2P? or just Bittorrent.
And can we clearly define unlimited. because on an 8mbps could do over 1tb a month -_-

alburyman

Post by alburyman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:29 pm

its not unlimited downloads u gooses...man u kids need to learn to read, they mean unlimited bandwith with no priortisation on p2p

blagablaga1

Post by blagablaga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:43 pm

It's some sort of strange marketing speak. There's nothing unlimited at all, it's just created a mass off confusion.

I think they're saying for $10 a month extra your p2p downloads will be less depriotised than now, and you'll definitely notice an increase in speed between 6pm and 12pm cause that's when the highest depriotisation of P2P occurs.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:47 pm

Why would i pay extra for full speed P2P, when i already get full speed P2P?

With current speeds its already a battle to not go over my limit.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:50 pm

No, I think it is unlimited.

Because its coming from a cache server, they would have the data ready for the next user.

For $10 a month, they'll keep the data in the cache for you to grab directly, and naturally, this costs them A LOT less.

Think of free PIPE ISPs, those unlimited free pipe ISPs..

So, what's not in cache, comes off your usage, anything in the cache, leech away!

Correct me if I am wrong, but if that's the case, that's nice, but why charge us for something you will evidently end up saving more money from ?

machine

Post by machine » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi,

What is P2P ?, and should i be using it? :o

Thanks

machine

blagablaga1

Post by blagablaga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:58 pm

tocpcs wrote:No, I think it is unlimited.

Because its coming from a cache server, they would have the data ready for the next user.For $10 a month, they'll keep the data in the cache for you to grab directly, and naturally, this costs them A LOT less.
How did you mange to interpret that from the original message to this thread? Well you certainly have a good imagination. Not saying you're wrong, but I didn't hear any mention of caches or proxies or anything.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:1) So it costs $10 more but only improves speeds between 6pm and midnight?

2) Same quota's apply as whatever plan your on? Or does "P2P Unlimited" mean Unlimited?

3) Judging from the last bit, it sounds like your'e adding 40gb to our peak quota for $10 and doing away with peak/offpeak and removing the throttling... is that the best way to describe this plan?
1) It improves P2P speeds 24x7x52.

2) Unlimited means unlimited.

3) No.
As you can see, no imagination needed.

It's obvious that caching means caching, they plan to hold the data locally.

This in turn means they don't have to fetch the same packets from the USA, therefore reducing load on the international links.

This load reduction means the only data generally going to users is from the cache server across the local network to the user.

This shouldn't require link upgrades, though, as speeds are going faster, its possible they might need to increase capacity with local backhaul providers.

So, the cached data is cheaper to move than data from the US as they don't have to use international sources to get it (they move it within AU).

Mention of caching is in the OP and the email. Perhaps some light reading might help?

hbechaz

Post by hbechaz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 pm

tocpcs wrote:No, I think it is unlimited.

Because its coming from a cache server, they would have the data ready for the next user.

For $10 a month, they'll keep the data in the cache for you to grab directly, and naturally, this costs them A LOT less.
This is Utopian thinking. It isn't possible to have a cache large enough to hold everything anyone ever retrieved via P2P such that the ISP only has to retrieve it from elsewhere (on behalf of a subscriber) only once. The size of cache employed by Exetel will only reduce the amount of duplicate data transfered (perhaps significantly for popular items) but not reduce it to zero.
topcs wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but if that's the case, that's nice, but why charge us for something you will evidently end up saving more money from ?
Exetel will have to outlay considerable sums to provide the storage and purchase/license the P2P cache technology. I'm fine with being charged for such a service so long as I get value for money. As other ISPs start making similar offerings market forces will cause the charges to drop to match the cost of providing the caching service.