Unlimited P2P

Old, inactive threads
blagablaga1

Post by blagablaga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 pm

tocpcs wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:1) So

So, the cached data is cheaper to move than data from the US as they don't have to use international sources to get it (they move it within AU).

Mention of caching is in the OP and the email. Perhaps some light reading might help?
Ok you've convinced me. but what is the price is it $10 more than my current plan or is it 'more expensive than any other plan currently offered' ?

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 pm

hbechaz wrote:
tocpcs wrote:No, I think it is unlimited.

Because its coming from a cache server, they would have the data ready for the next user.

For $10 a month, they'll keep the data in the cache for you to grab directly, and naturally, this costs them A LOT less.
This is Utopian thinking. It isn't possible to have a cache large enough to hold everything anyone ever retrieved via P2P such that the ISP only has to retrieve it from elsewhere (on behalf of a subscriber) only once. The size of cache employed by Exetel will only reduce the amount of duplicate data transfered (perhaps significantly for popular items) but not reduce it to zero.
topcs wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but if that's the case, that's nice, but why charge us for something you will evidently end up saving more money from ?
Exetel will have to outlay considerable sums to provide the storage and purchase/license the P2P cache technology. I'm fine with being charged for such a service so long as I get value for money. As other ISPs start making similar offerings market forces will cause the charges to drop to match the cost of providing the caching service.
Did I say it did?

I was actually referring to it being the cache server holding frequented data, and the majority of user P2P is going to be cached, the minority will still go international, but the massive decrease in duplicated content fetching is still better!

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 pm

blagablaga1 wrote:
tocpcs wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Ok you've convinced me. but what is the price is it $10 more than my current plan or is it 'more expensive than any other plan currently offered' ?
I read it as it is.
$10 more than you currently pay.

WilliamsF1

Post by WilliamsF1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, some things come to mind that others have'nt mentioned:

- For those users who do not wish to take up this service, will there be an alterations to plans, such as less priority etc?
- Are any plans likely to dissapear with the introduction of this newer plan?
- Will new infrustructure be required for this? I spose what I'm trying to get at, is will users pay for it, through higher charges?

John.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 pm

hbechaz wrote:Exetel will have to outlay considerable sums to provide the storage and purchase/license the P2P cache technology. I'm fine with being charged for such a service so long as I get value for money. As other ISPs start making similar offerings market forces will cause the charges to drop to match the cost of providing the caching service.
Back in the days of dial up ISP's ran proxies and cache servers, and eventually they became transparent to the end user. In an archived thread somewhere in this forum i posted a whitepaper on a study on running a *nix p2p cache system (full details on what sort of setup was in the whitepaper, if you can't be bothered to look for it then don't bother me about it), so in fact the only real "money" spent is on hardware and time setting it up.
Yes there are commercial systems out there that can cache p2p traffic, but most of them would be a custom rolled *nix kernel.

Hmm and after reading this did anyone in exetel management read the /. article about some isp's offering p2p type plans? :-)

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Hold your horses guys

I think he means you get unlimited P2P WITHIN YOUR CURRENT QUOTA

So no, not unlimited data.

blagablaga1

Post by blagablaga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:47 pm

gong_guy wrote:Hold your horses guys

I think he means you get unlimited P2P WITHIN YOUR CURRENT QUOTA

So no, not unlimited data.
What does that mean?

Haven't I already got unlimited P2P within my current quota?

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:51 pm

blagablaga1 wrote:
What does that mean?

Haven't I already got unlimited P2P within my current quota?
No it is throttled in peak times.

rikeshr

Post by rikeshr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm

1. how does exetel ensures that the current plans don't get affected?
To speed up some users, exetel will have to slow down others...

2. what is the current max. download speed that exetel has configured NetEnforcer for each user

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 pm

hbechaz wrote:
This is Utopian thinking. It isn't possible to have a cache large enough to hold everything anyone ever retrieved via P2P such that the ISP only has to retrieve it from elsewhere (on behalf of a subscriber) only once. The size of cache employed by Exetel will only reduce the amount of duplicate data transfered (perhaps significantly for popular items) but not reduce it to zero.
Theres no way you can cache the entire Web, but even if its only getting a 10-30% hit ratio, it will pay for it self very very quickly.
With the nature of P2P anyway, most files have a rather short retention, so a large percent should be getting hits.

Most downloads would be new release content as far as i could see, sure theres always going to be people downloading obscure items, but it would be a minority.

I still dont really see how the caching will work though, especially with sites that work off ratios etc.

I'm sure theres some great examples online, but im running a caching proxy for 5 systems. I dont really keep log files so this is only the results for a week or so of traffic.

Total number of requests handled by Squid: 346721
Total traffic handled by Squid: 4223544908 bytes

Total number of requests from cache: 119531
Total traffic from cache: 534553679 bytes
Cache hits in %: 34.500
Cache traffic in %: 12.700

mrsa

Re: Unlimited P2P

Post by mrsa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:33 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: We are now considering not only not restricting P2P downlaods but increasing the speed of those downloads by up to three times faster.
I've often read that Exetel is just a reseller, so many things are not under Exetel's control.

How confident is Exetel of achieving and controlling this speed improvement?

And "up to three times" need more qualification. For example, is it to be interpreted the same way as "ADSL2+ is up to 24M"?

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 pm

mrsa wrote: And "up to three times" need more qualification. For example, is it to be
interpreted the same way as "ADSL2+ is up to 24M"?
We need Forumadmin to clarify his posting. I am afraid no-one here or at Whirlpool know exactly what is being offered.

Sounds good, but what is it?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:39 pm

mrsa wrote: I've often read that Exetel is just a reseller
Where have you "often" read such a statement?

The reason I ask is because it is so meaningless.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Exetel resells the internet, the same way any ISP who buys bandwidth off another company.
Which would be 99% of all ISPS.

Exetel is not a Visp, they are a fully fledged ISP with their own hardware etc.

if you google "exetel reseller" you dont even get anything implying they are a reseller lol.

blagablaga1

Post by blagablaga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:47 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
mrsa wrote: I've often read that Exetel is just a reseller
Where have you "often" read such a statement?

The reason I ask is because it is so meaningless.
oh good you're back. so tell us what this is all about, clear up the confusion about this unlimited P2P?