Unlimited P2P

Old, inactive threads
Post Reply
James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Post by James » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 pm

Macko wrote:I have nothing against the proposal, it would make a significant improvement at peak times for reasonably small costs.

But one fly in the ointment: some of us are pensioners. When you survive on $520/fortnight, believe me even $10 hurts. Can some relief be given to pensioners? Even harder for us to stay awake after midnight to avail of the more generous downloads then, although we try.
Hi Macko,

Download scheduler?

James

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:52 pm

DarkLotus wrote:but $130 is far more than $10 more expensive than the most expensive 1.5mbps plan.

And in the first post it said unlimited for $10 more.

very confused -_-
$130 for 300 gb on a 1500/256 connection is an example of the maximum charge for such a service.

From what I can remember no Exetel user ever downloaded more than 220 gb in any month - and that was some time ago.

It will take a while to consider the feedback here and then produce new plans and there is 8 - 10 weeks to do that.

DarkLotus
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Post by DarkLotus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Macko
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Binnaway

Post by Macko » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Macko,

Download scheduler?

James

If we're talking P2P, you can't schedule something you need to find first and download. Normal downloads & updates I can do between midnight and noon.

Macko

gong_guy
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 am

Post by gong_guy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 pm

Macko wrote: If we're talking P2P, you can't schedule something you need to find first and download. Normal downloads & updates I can do between midnight and noon.

Macko
Yes you can, uTorrent has a scheduler, look it up.

I am sure other clients have it too.

gong_guy
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 am

Post by gong_guy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 pm

ForumAdmin1) wrote: Unlimited as in no included download quota but the theoretical maximum download would be 300 gb if the connection was operating 24x7x30. The price of the plan will be based on providing a dedicated infrastructure to/from the customer to the Exetel cache and charging accordingly for that access based on:
.
What about if the person downloads from non P2P services like USENET? Would that be treated differently?

Are we talking about, for all intentes and purposes, a traditional unlimited account like the old days? if not what is the difference?

And what about ADSL2 users, they can really chew through the data given a chance.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:08 pm

gong_guy wrote:[

1) What about if the person downloads from non P2P services like USENET? Would that be treated differently?

2) Are we talking about, for all intentes and purposes, a traditional unlimited account like the old days? if not what is the difference?

3) And what about ADSL2 users, they can really chew through the data given a chance.
1) UseNet is treated as P2P.

2) I don't know. There is a difference in what's currently being considered to "the old days".

3) Yes they can and do and may be this won't be available to ADSL2 users as the infrastructure for ADSL2 is very expensive in most areas.

skurlow
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:05 am

Re: What do users download using P2P and from what service?

Post by skurlow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:51 pm

skurlow wrote:I am interested to know what other users are downloading using P2P and from what P2P provider?
One could presume from the lack of response by others that since a legitimate use of P2P hasn't been proposed that most users are using it for illegal purposes.

I would hate to see exetel get prosecuted for catering directly for the P2P market when it most probably is simply supporting piracy!

DarkLotus
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Post by DarkLotus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:51 pm

So given the current information, how much would we be looking at for a 8mbps plan, that allowed say 100-150gb of P2P downloads, along with 12-24gb of normal data?


@skurlow
I use the torrent protocol for such things as:
WoW updates
Game trailers
Movie trailers
TV show trailers
Program updates
Ubuntu releases, this really adds up atm, downloading ubuntu and xubuntu Tribe(alpha/beta) releases.
Publicdomainmovie torrents, my mum etc love old movies from the 20's-30's-40's-50's allot of this is now public domain, this really chews through the BW.

And the list goes on and on.

tocpcs
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Online

Post by tocpcs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
In the case of a Telstra 1500/256 port this would be around $130.00 per month and would be capable of downloading a maximum of 150 gb in peak and 150 gb in off peak.
Oh... so an ADSL2+ connection that could download far more would be also far more expensive?

Also, I'm not perfect at maths, but your most expensive 1500/256 plan at the moment is $75... how is the $130 mentioned above $10 more?
The cost would be $130.00 if someone wanted to download 300 gb per month on a 1500/256 connection.

It was an example.
You are referring to Exetel's costs?

Essentially suggesting it would be balanced between low and high users, the end result being an average of $10 more?

Or are we getting it confused even more?

Perhaps you can stop posting confusing responses, and give us a complete post that details what exactly is on offer and being discussed here?

Perhaps answer this:

Q: Can a user on a 1500, $75.00 plan, pay $85 and download 300GB of cached P2P data?

Or perhaps clarify your wording of unlimted, and a few possible user scenarios ? That might help!

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:06 pm

DarkLotus wrote:So given the current information, how much would we be looking at for a 8mbps plan, that allowed say 100-150gb of P2P downloads, along with 12-24gb of normal data?
In the event that the caching service was used as an 'add on' to current plans (in other words the current peak and of peak allowances and month price of the current plan stayed as it is now) I would think that the data sourced from the cache would be around 20 cents per gbyte.

So you would get a plan with:

12 gb peak
40 gb off peak
50 gb cache any time of day

total 102 gb

for your current plan price plus $10.00.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:09 pm

tocpcs wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote: Oh... so an ADSL2+ connection that could download far more would be also far more expensive?

Also, I'm not perfect at maths, but your most expensive 1500/256 plan at the moment is $75... how is the $130 mentioned above $10 more?
The cost would be $130.00 if someone wanted to download 300 gb per month on a 1500/256 connection.

It was an example.
1) You are referring to Exetel's costs?

2) Perhaps you can stop posting confusing responses, and give us a complete post that details what exactly is on offer and being discussed here?


3) Can a user on a 1500, $75.00 plan, pay $85 and download 300GB of cached P2P data?

4) Or perhaps clarify your wording of unlimted, and a few possible user scenarios ? That might help!
1) No - the cost to the end user of such a plan should it ever exist.

2) I can stop posting on this topic completely if that would be of assistance to you.

3) No.

4) It's too late for me to learn how to write in any different manner than I do.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:09 pm

How will this new hardware affect gaming ping times if at all? I assume it will take a few ms for each packet to be inspected or will it not change as it's happening already?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:10 pm

thomashouseman wrote:How will this new hardware affect gaming ping times if at all?
It won't as gaming is not P2P.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:12 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
DarkLotus wrote:So given the current information, how much would we be looking at for a 8mbps plan, that allowed say 100-150gb of P2P downloads, along with 12-24gb of normal data?
In the event that the caching service was used as an 'add on' to current plans (in other words the current peak and of peak allowances and month price of the current plan stayed as it is now) I would think that the data sourced from the cache would be around 20 cents per gbyte.

So you would get a plan with:

12 gb peak
40 gb off peak
50 gb cache any time of day

total 102 gb

for your current plan price plus $10.00.
This is the best explanation yet and cleared up my speculation.

Post Reply