Unlimited P2P

Old, inactive threads
DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:21 am

tocpcs, you realize pretty much every single isp in the entire world has a user to bw ratio of 1:40( i think thats what it works out as ) give or take 10. This is using 1.5mbps speed as an avg.

1.5mbps of international bw costs more than you pay in a few months.

And what you don't seem to understand is this $10 upgrade is not selling you 3x faster speeds, since we can already hit our maximum speeds most of the time, its selling you extra download quota for a measly 20cents per gb.

You also get the assurance that you will get good speeds off cached p2p at all times, instead of how p2p currently gets deprioritised in peak times.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:24 am

DarkLotus wrote:tocpcs, you realize pretty much every single isp in the entire world has a user to bw ratio of 1:40( i think thats what it works out as ) give or take 10. This is using 1.5mbps speed as an avg.

1.5mbps of international bw costs more than you pay in a few months.

And what you don't seem to understand is this $10 upgrade is not selling you 3x faster speeds, since we can already hit our maximum speeds most of the time, its selling you extra download quota for a measly 20cents per gb.

You also get the assurance that you will get good speeds off cached p2p at all times, instead of how p2p currently gets deprioritised in peak times.
I think you quoted my be mistake, if you read my reply, I was quoting someone else who suggested the bandwidth available is 15kb/sec, which is incorrect.

Yes, I am very familiar with how ISP contention ratios work, And I am in support of the cached P2P idea :)

I don't know where you got the idea that I didn't understand the $10 upgrade, as I understand completely, it's payment for an additional quota of cache access.

ilce

Post by ilce » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:20 pm

If this fixes my ping from 12am to 12pm them im for it.

If it makes it worse than it is due to more downloads then please do not implement it.

While exetels service for 12pm to 12am is good, currently the quality of connection I get after 12am is horrible.

P2P is of no interst to me (I dont use it) . Im happy for you guys to do anything you want as long as it doesnt effect my ping and connection stability. Currently it seems to be what is killing your service.

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm

ilce wrote:If this fixes my ping from 12am to 12pm them im for it.

If it makes it worse than it is due to more downloads then please do not implement it.

While exetels service for 12pm to 12am is good, currently the quality of connection I get after 12am is horrible.

P2P is of no interest to me (I dont use it) . Im happy for you guys to do anything you want as long as it doesnt effect my ping and connection stability. Currently it seems to be what is killing your service.
Ditto, same applies for me. How about another pool for those who make little use of P2P?

Cheers,

Mike

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:25 am

ilce wrote:
I've asked a sysadmin to see if he can assist you.

abdul

Post by abdul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:34 am

ilce wrote:If this fixes my ping from 12am to 12pm them im for it.

P2P is of no interst to me (I dont use it) . Im happy for you guys to do anything you want as long as it doesnt effect my ping and connection stability. Currently it seems to be what is killing your service.

I am looking into this for you. I will be in touch with you shortly to investigate further the cause of this problem.

Gilbert
Exetel Staff

Post by Gilbert » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

Hi Ilce

Further to our phone conversation this morning, you were advised that we
were unable to identify any faults with your ADSL service and you've also
confirmed that your service is working fine for the past couple of days. If
you experience similar issues in future, please do no hesitate to contact
support or post on the forum.

Gilbert

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 pm

sorry tocpcs -_- guess it was late and i wasn't reading properly.

On whirlpool there appears to be a fair bit of anger, the general consensus is that exetel will save allot of money on international bw, then charge extra on top to access the cache, i can see this is a valid opinion but you are a business after all and national bw is not free.

Is it feasible to include an amount of p2pcache downloads with the standard plans? like how we get the off peak bonus.

Or what about allowing people to use their onpeak quota in exchange for cached content, 1GB peak for 4-5gb cached.

TassieDevil

Post by TassieDevil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:36 pm

I guess my questions were missed then ?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:59 pm

TassieDevil wrote:
1) but since when have Exetel been prioritising P2P 24hrs a day ? Is it just me, or does ForumAdmin's answer IMPLY that P2P IS currently being prioritised during off-peak as well as peak time ?

2) Secondly, when these new P2P plans are sorted and introduced, what will be the implications for all other standard plans (such as the ones we're all on now) ? Will the introduction of the new P2P plans mean any changes in the prioritising levels of the current plans ?
Sorry - yes, I did miss your questions.

1) Exetel don't prioritise/de-prioritise P2P traffic 24 hours a day. My statement was intended to convey that the P2P bandwidth allocation is reduced for around 4 hours between 6 pm and 12 pm (depending on day of the week and month).

2) Nothing that happens to P2P in the future will affect/change any aspect of any current plan. In theory all that would happen is that a P2P caching process would deliver more and faster data to P2P clients than the current network does.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crider

Post by crider » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:16 pm

I've been thinking about the P2P Cache a little bit more.

I really don't understand the need for seperate infrastructure (bandwidth).

It makes better sense to use the existing infrastructure and add the P2P Cache for the benefit of all users.

Logic,

Exetel have 1-2Gbps of bandwidth, P2P QoS @ 50% of Total Bandwidth.
If P2P Cache Hit 50% bandwidth requirement reduces to 25%.
This freed 25% can slide between P2P and HTTP/Others.

As suggested before;

Revamp the Off Peak quotas to be a ratio of Peak quota, say 2:1.
Allow users to double their Off Peak qoutas for a fee.
Automatic shaping, 64/128/256/512Kbps, when over Off Peak quota.
Enforcer will allow different QoS Rules for users of differnet plans.
P2P Cache content discounted 50% for Peak and 50% Off Peak.

Example,

1500/256 User 12Gb Peak 24Gb Off Peak (2:1)
$10 upgrade to 48Gb Off Peak (2x), potentially 96Gb of P2P cached content.
Shaped to 256Kbps when over Off Peak quota.

There's two bandwidths in the equation.
Bandwidth between Exetel and the Internet (Smaller).
Bandwidth between Exetel and the ADSL Users (Larger).
(ForumAdmin please advise correct terms)

P2P Cache delivery should still be more econimical to deliver OffPeak.

All users benefit from investment of P2P Cache.
Cheaper implementation using existing network infrastructure.
Last edited by crider on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Sounds good to me.

TassieDevil

Post by TassieDevil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks for the prompt response, ForumAdmin, and for clarifying.

Interesting suggestions, crider. Good input.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:46 am

Well assuming Exetel does go ahead with a P2P service, so that users can participate properly if possible the cache connection details are made avial either through the members section or via forum/email.

Several P2P applications can accept a proxy setup, thus making sure that the customer properly uses the cache system.

ilce

Post by ilce » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks Gilbert and other admins for contacting me and getting my info.

Yes, for some reason over the last week my after 12am stability and ping has increased dramatically for the better..

I actually got a ping of 222ms (WOW) at 12:05 on thur morning, basically the best I have ever seen it. (usually 500-560ms). Everything before 1 week ago was 1000ms ping plus with regular dropouts between (12am-3am). That problem has now dissapeared.