Aspects Of Running An ISP

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Aspects Of Running An ISP

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:12 pm

WilliamsF1

Post by WilliamsF1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

It's nice to see some transparency within the business, as well as know where it's going with it's products/services.

The one about 3G & future internet bandwidth costs will certainly be kept in mind by me for next year.

kogi

Post by kogi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Very interesting read John, If we're allowed any questions. I'm interested in what happened during your time with swift/people :twisted:

kogi

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:57 pm

kogi wrote:Very interesting read John, If we're allowed any questions. I'm interested in what happened during your time with swift/people :twisted:

kogi
I was there for twelve months on contract with the objective of creating an ISP from nothing.

I did that and by the time I ended my association with Swiftel (December 31st 2003) there were ADSL PoPs in each mainland State capital city and over 13,000 ADSL1 customers - predominantly in NSW.

From the first moment I commenced the assignment I disliked the incompetence and 'don't care' attitude that permeated every aspect of the Swiftel company (with the exception of network engineering) which became even worse after the "investment" by PeopleTelecom and I made it clear from July 2003 that I would not continue the contract beyond the initial 12 month term.

My opinion is that it would be hard to find two more incompetent and unknowledgable people than Chris Gale (Swiftel CEO) and Colin Marland (PeopleTelecom director in charge of the takeover and operation of Swiftel) who were the decision making executives responsible for the direction and progess of "Swiftel" - neither of them had any clue about how the embryonic technology company they were paid to run could or should operate - with the predictable result such ignorance brings.

Midnight Rider

Post by Midnight Rider » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Just a little feedback on your entry dated October 6th 2007... "Making VoIP 'Universal' - Used By Every Exetel Customer"

I am a satisfied Exetel ADSL customer of several years, however I have chosen to use engin for my VoIP.

The main reasons (which are quite important to me) are...

1) engin allows me to dial 000 services.

2) engin provides me with a local (Newcastle) DID number.

3) engin allows me to have an additional DID number located in Sydney for the small cost of $5/mth. This then enables other family members (who are mostly located in Sydney), to ring my household for the cost of a local call, thereby saving them money as well.

4) 1800 freecalls are available.

Before you point out that these other types of calls (1800, 000) can be made on my Telstra phone, let me say that my household includes several elderly members, some of whom no longer have their wits about them, and who simply need to be able to pick up the phone and dial the number they need without having to try and figure out which phone needs to be used with what number.

I have no need for international calls, so Exetel's cheap pricing for those is of no interest to me.

If Exetel could provide those other items to me, I would very seriously consider changing from engin (which has been great for me) to Exetel's VoIP services.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:16 am

I've just read your comments on the phone card market. It is good to see in the open what those of us who have used these things have discovered the expensive way, namely fast clocks and connection fees. In time you drift to one of the very few genuine providers, and it is these that Exetel has to compete with over the long term. Some sellers know, from customer comments, which ones to avoid, but you are right when you say the rip-offs are the cards most often offered.

Until you find a trustworthy brand, buy only low value cards and keep a call log. Some clocks run so fast, BTW, that they are easily noticed even without a log, particularly if you make only a few very long calls.

I made a previous post on another thread about a problem with these cards which you have not experienced ringing from central Sydney. It is hideously expensive elsewhere (thanks Telstra) if there is no local-charge number on the card to start the long distance call.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 am

Midnight Rider wrote:Just a little feedback on your entry dated October 6th 2007... "Making VoIP 'Universal' - Used By Every Exetel Customer"

I am a satisfied Exetel ADSL customer of several years, however I have chosen to use engin for my VoIP.

The main reasons (which are quite important to me) are...

1) engin allows me to dial 000 services.

2) engin provides me with a local (Newcastle) DID number.

3) engin allows me to have an additional DID number located in Sydney for the small cost of $5/mth. This then enables other family members (who are mostly located in Sydney), to ring my household for the cost of a local call, thereby saving them money as well.

4) 1800 freecalls are available.

Before you point out that these other types of calls (1800, 000) can be made on my Telstra phone, let me say that my household includes several elderly members, some of whom no longer have their wits about them, and who simply need to be able to pick up the phone and dial the number they need without having to try and figure out which phone needs to be used with what number.

I have no need for international calls, so Exetel's cheap pricing for those is of no interest to me.

If Exetel could provide those other items to me, I would very seriously consider changing from engin (which has been great for me) to Exetel's VoIP services.
Thank you for the feedback.

As with every service that Exetel provides we will continue to improve it as we develop the skills or the necessary volumes.

Right now we have no idea how to provide a 000 service. There is no problem in making the call to a 000 number but that isn't the point. The 000 service needs a landline number to precisely identify the exact location of the caller in case they are a child or some person unable to speak either coherently or in an understandable (to the 000 service operator) language.

Local DIDs are also a fair way away (a volume consideration).

1800 - again, we don't know how to do that.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 am

i was discussing this on whirlpool

i get VOIP calls to 000

i have an NB9w set to sound differentiation for VOIP and landline calls.
when i pick up the phone i just listen and normally i hear the VOIP sound .
if it is regular phone sound then i know it has switched to landline as there is a connection issue.
i need the sound differentiation as i dont want to be making STD calls on the optus line :shock:

i can use my 4 VOIP phones either as VOIP or i can switch to landline selectively by pressing ** or ##, depending on the phone brand.
if my VOIP call to 000 didnt work then i would press ## or ** i guess and then dial 000

i get 1800 numbers for free.......well so it seems
well so far i havnt been charged tho i expected to either not get them or be charged
in fact i ran the first ones thro the landline so i could get them but forgot one day and got thro on the VOIP anyway

i did a test call to 000 via VOIP this am.
it worked

just now i checked on my modem admin area and the choice of either landline or VOIP for emergency calls had been changed to landline by someone other than me, at some time......so seemingly potentially my test call this morning was actually via landline even tho i got the VOIP sound at the start

so i switched it back to VOIP and made another test to 000 explaining why i was bugging them :oops:

my set up seems to work for me.
the only thing that i think is different is that there is a silence of some seconds before the emergency number starts to ring.
my experience of calling them in the past from landlines didnt produce the silence ......as i recall it

or else i am totally deluded

either is possible :oops:

please dont start to charge me for 1800 numbers ......ok??

ETA........midnight rider........u could set your 000 number to go via landline if u wanted to and then u wouldnt have to worry i guess about anything going wrong for the older members of your family

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:33 am

The Exetel VoIP service can now be used to call 1800 numbers (at no charge to the caller) and 13/1300 numbers at a charge of 30 cents per call.

A reminder: while an Exetel VoIP user can dial 000 numbers the 000 operator cannot detect the source of the call.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:15 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:The Exetel VoIP service can now be used to call 1800 numbers (at no charge to the caller) and 13/1300 numbers at a charge of 30 cents per call.

A reminder: while an Exetel VoIP user can dial 000 numbers the 000 operator cannot detect the source of the call.
yes
i think i said that on the whirlpool place that the VOIP ones cant be traced........and then cause it was late at night i came here and didnt read your post properley that clearly said that 000 calls CAN be made but not traced
ummmmm..too old brain:roll:

i have to think now about resetting my modem back to landline for 000 calls as none of us know that if we make a call to that number that it can be completed in case we have bad stuff happen....or that we will have the presence of mind to switch from VOIP to landline for that call.

i know that one of my calls in the past to 000 had to be traced by the emergency operator..not becuase of anything bad but because i dropped the phone and didnt speak for a minute or whatever while i found it........and they assumed the worst and put on a trace and got my address for the ambos

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:03 am

soaper wrote:i have to think now about resetting my modem back to landline for 000 calls as none of us know that if we make a call to that number that it can be completed in case we have bad stuff happen....or that we will have the presence of mind to switch from VOIP to landline for that call.
G'day Soaper,
Just a thought, 112 doesn't work does it? Haven't tried it on VoIP myself but it works well on the mobile. Still I doubt it would send any locale data anyway, so it's probably a moot point unless it bypasses VoIP.

Cheer,

Mike

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:59 am

austdata wrote:
soaper wrote:i have to think now about resetting my modem back to landline for 000 calls as none of us know that if we make a call to that number that it can be completed in case we have bad stuff happen....or that we will have the presence of mind to switch from VOIP to landline for that call.
G'day Soaper,
Just a thought, 112 doesn't work does it? Haven't tried it on VoIP myself but it works well on the mobile. Still I doubt it would send any locale data anyway, so it's probably a moot point unless it bypasses VoIP.

Cheer,

Mike
Although I have never tried it, I recall that 112 is a mobile only service.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

ExetelRocks

Post by ExetelRocks » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Please do not waste the emergency operators valuable time with "test" calls!

thecraw

Post by thecraw » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
kogi wrote:Very interesting read John, If we're allowed any questions. I'm interested in what happened during your time with swift/people :twisted:

kogi
I was there for twelve months on contract with the objective of creating an ISP from nothing.

I did that and by the time I ended my association with Swiftel (December 31st 2003) there were ADSL PoPs in each mainland State capital city and over 13,000 ADSL1 customers - predominantly in NSW.
Of course I take the credit for the blog idea :P

http://forum.swiftdsl.com.au/showpost.p ... ostcount=8

You never did take that domain name ;)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:36 pm

thecraw wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:

kogi

Of course I take the credit for the blog idea :P

http://forum.swiftdsl.com.au/showpost.p ... ostcount=8

You never did take that domain name ;)

I guess your idea took a long time to come to fruition.

Really nice to hear from you again.