ATTENTION: The ONLY ADSL 2 Speed Issue Thread

Old, inactive threads
lisa_w

Post by lisa_w » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Can we claim the refund for this month??

boozealot

Very slow speeds

Post by boozealot » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 pm

In the last month I have notice unbearable browsing speeds after about 7:00pm on some nights. THis is extremy frustrating. I am on the carramar exchange. Are there known congestions here?

Cheers,
Steve

WayneT42

Post by WayneT42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Thank you James for confirming that my Campbelltown exchange is tied up in the Blacktown problems.

If all the listed exchanges, and presumably others, are impacted by Optus' problems with their Blacktown BRAS then Exetel must currently have a lot of very un-happy customers.

It doesn't say much for Optus' capacity and redundancy planning does it !

Oh well, only another 6 nights of hell before we hopefully get back to seeing something like 'normal' service levels again.

Best Regards
Wayne

Cocka

Post by Cocka » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:47 pm

WayneT42 wrote:T

Oh well, only another 6 nights of hell before we hopefully get back to seeing something like 'normal' service levels again.

Best Regards
Wayne
If your lucky and everything/anything falls into place, it is Optus after all ???
I once thought I made a mistake but I was wrong ?

jpindsle

slow in nth parramatta to

Post by jpindsle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 pm

has been slow for a few weeks now

lisa_w

Post by lisa_w » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:37 pm

It's getting better now. Has any work been done? or maybe most of the users are too frustrated to use the network..

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:28 am

Is Dural exchange for Optus DSLAM also effected by this widespread Optus performance issue?

For 5 months I've been getting a consistent line speed of 4.5mb to 5.0mb on ADSL2+ and this week it has suddenly dropped to 3.3mb - my line attenuation has remained unaltered @ 49.0dB

Has anyone else experienced a similar consistent drop in connection speed lately (I don't mean irregular download speeds - I'm talking about the actual connection speed as reported at the modem)

- aNt -

Post by - aNt - » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:05 am

bodogbodog wrote:Is Dural exchange for Optus DSLAM also effected by this widespread Optus performance issue?

For 5 months I've been getting a consistent line speed of 4.5mb to 5.0mb on ADSL2+ and this week it has suddenly dropped to 3.3mb - my line attenuation has remained unaltered @ 49.0dB

Has anyone else experienced a similar consistent drop in connection speed lately (I don't mean irregular download speeds - I'm talking about the actual connection speed as reported at the modem)
That sounds like to me either a problem with your distance from the exchange or shoddy line quality. Most likely either a filter has gone faulty, or maybe you are using a telephone cable that is more than 2 metres or has in fact gone faulty itself. Best to conduct and isolation test with all devices removed (so bare sockets) and connect it up directly and see the result.

Then again, if there's been weather in the area the lines could be waterlogged along the way.

Your problem has nothing to do with the current issues as all of us are able to sync at the same rate but never achieve even close to that from 6pm onwards.

huey666

wollongong

Post by huey666 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:29 am

can i just clarify a few things....

1)these issues do have an estimated resolve date right? if so when...

2)is wollongong affected or not? sometimes its just not clear no matter how much you read...

3)If i were to change to 8mb on standard adsl would i experience the same issues, as i can only sync at 13000 or there abouts, but at this point i'd rather go for 8000 if i will have a connection close to 8000, rather than a 13000 sync with a download peak of no more than 600kbps...

blloyd

Re: WOLLONGONG

Post by blloyd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:32 am

tx3dude wrote:Excuse my ignorance but why would those stated problems be affecting customers in Wollongong ???
Sokar wrote:I put up with speeds way below what I usually get, [...] for about three weeks [...] I am on the Wollongong exchange.
huey666 wrote:2)is wollongong affected or not? sometimes its just not clear no matter how much you read...

3)If i were to change to 8mb on standard adsl would i experience the same issues, as i can only sync at 13000 or there abouts, but at this point i'd rather go for 8000 if i will have a connection close to 8000, rather than a 13000 sync with a download peak of no more than 600kbps...
Ditto, ditto, ditto. What about WOLLONGONG, Exetel? Would switching down to 8MB ADSL be any better? Then there's the question of whether or not the recently redesigned User Facilities will allow us to drop back?

huey666

Post by huey666 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:46 am

hmm would be a shame if we couldnt drop back as its just a re jumper... 3 business day job max.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:52 am

huey666 wrote:hmm would be a shame if we couldnt drop back as its just a re jumper... 3 business day job max.
It's a pita to organize, plus very expensive.

blloyd

Post by blloyd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Gidget wrote:Exetel has given you an update [...]

[...] keep threads on track so people who are seeking information can find it without it being buried in pointless posts.
Gidget, I agree with this sentiment, but especially so in regards to the flotsam and jetsam posts where other Exetel users conjecture, rehash, or speak on behalf of Exetel.

Much of this forum congestion could be avoided if information were delivered to affected users in a more effective way. The Network Status page should be more accurate and detailed. If relevant announcements about specific impacts, works and ETAs were posted there instead of here, customers could keep themselves better informed by obtaining information from a central authoritative source without needing to sift through junk. Either that, or make a Network Status topic on this forum that is only editable by Exetel staff and let customers have a separate chat thread. Whatever the case, the practice of dribs and drabs trickling out from here there and everywhere ("X told me Y", "he said she said") is unnecessary, unproductive, and creates frustration for virtually everyone.

On a related note, I don't care for, and find aggravating, Exetel emails spruiking SMSes via the User Facilities, when my broadband is not working the way it did/should and I'm not being communicated with as effectively as any reasonable customer might expect. Core business and fundamental customer need warrants the same, if not better, levels of customer communication.

P.S > Network Status is not linked on the Exetel homepage. Could it be added there?

ymo

Re: wollongong

Post by ymo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:00 pm

huey666 wrote: 2)is wollongong affected or not? sometimes its just not clear no matter how much you read...
I am on the Exetel/Optus bundle in Wollongong and I do not appear to be affected. Here is a recent speed test:

However this just proves you cannot always trust speed tests as I only sync at ~12900kb/s!
As you are now on Optus hardware I do not think dropping your service to 8MB/s max would help (unless you are actually having sync problems which it does not sound like you are).

AFAIK, the only way to get back on the Telstra ADSL1 DSLAM would be to cancel your existing service (paying the contract break cost if still in first year) by porting your number back to Telstra and then applying for a new ADSL1 service. Sounds expensive to me.

thepigs2

Post by thepigs2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:38 pm

blloyd wrote: P.S > Network Status is not linked on the Exetel homepage. Could it be added there?
And link it in the forum header also. Great post btw...