Changes To Exetel Broadband Plans

Old, inactive threads
James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:02 pm

They are the same in terms of download allowances, but the RS5 is $10 more expensive.

rav0
Location: Hoxton Park, NSW, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Re: Changes To Exetel Broadband Plans

Post by rav0 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:If downloads exceed 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period then downloads will become slower up to 72 gb.

After 72 gb no restriction will apply but the downloads are charged.
I think that it would be more simple to put only one limit of eg 60 GB and everything after that be charged with no pooling. It's very difficult to explain Exetel's offpeak to people

Current product, difficult to promote
Me: Offpeak is unlimited.
Them: Don't be stupid it can't be unlimited.
Me: Well it almost is they have some caps.
Them: See? Shaped isn't unlimited.
Me: No, it's not really shaped, just if you go over 18 GB this month next month you get labelled as a leecher and are in the leecher pool.
Them: I have to go swimming if I surf the web too much?
Me: All the people who became leechers last month share a bandwidth allocation this month. If the leechers are downloading fast at the same time them it slows down for all the leechers.
Them: wtf
Me: Oh yeah, by the way, they have this new thing where there is another cap...
Them: Huh you just explained the cap :S.
Me: If you go past 72 GB then you are a non leecher for the rest of this month.
Them: If it gets faster how is it a cap?
Me: Because then you have to pay.
Them: but offpeak is free :s.
Me: Only until 72 GB.
Them: But the offpeak limit is 48 GB :S.

Simple product, easy to promote
Me: 12 + 60 GB limit.
Them: So it's 12 GB peak plus 60 GB offpeak for $45 per month?
Me: Exactly. Remember to note that I referred you in your application :D.
Last edited by rav0 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingy

Post by kingy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 pm

I agree with Rav0!
:)

Legend

Post by Legend » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:48 pm

rav0 wrote:It's very difficult to explain Exetel's offpeak to people

Current product, difficult to promote
Me: Offpeak is unlimited.
Of course it's going to be difficult to promote if you're going to give people information that isn't true. Offpeak is NOT unlimited. What you should say is:

Me: There's a 48GB limit in Off-peak.

or, if you want to elaborate:

Me: There's a 48GB limit in Off-peak. You can actually download more than that but you may suffer poor speeds if you try and after you reach 72GB you're charged $3 for every gigabyte over that.
Me: All the people who became leechers last month share a bandwidth allocation this month.
That's not true either.

rav0
Location: Hoxton Park, NSW, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Post by rav0 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:25 pm

Legend wrote:
Me: All the people who became leechers last month share a bandwidth allocation this month.
That's not true either.
What does hapen to people who download over 48 GB in one month?

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:40 pm

What will the shaping points be for the shaping groups after the 48GB ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:37 pm

tocpcs wrote:What will the shaping points be for the shaping groups after the 48GB ?
ForumAdmin stated on the previous page of posts:
ForumAdmin wrote:If downloads exceed 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period then downloads will become slower up to 72 gb.

After 72 gb no restriction will apply but the downloads are charged.
So I suspect there won't be any shaping group. You hit 48Gb, and you are then shaped. Simple, no? The other thing I interpret from this usage policy is that there is no lasting penalty in the subsequent month.

So, by these accounts, you are "free" to download 72Gb off-peak. But the good thing with this structure is that due to the pooling arrangement, the leechers downloading between 48Gb and 72Gb will not impact on the non-leechers during offpeak times. Also, we won't see anymore selfish uber-leechers hitting 250Gb offpeak because of the cost it will attract.

So by my calculations, with 2 new "PTL C" Exetel ADSL2 accounts you can effectively get (48Gb offpeak + 24Gb offpeak pooled + 20Gb peak) x 2 = 184 Gb per month for $110 per month. Pretty sweet value! Especially considering just under 75% of that bandwidth is not pooled.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 am

tocpcs wrote:What will the shaping points be for the shaping groups after the 48GB ?
48 and then 64.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:55 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
48 and then 64.
That's very fair, thanks! :)

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 pm

It's great to see eXeTeL giving back, in one form or another, what has been previously taken... via way of multiple price increases in the last two years or so. From memory, my plan started out at $55 p/m. After several 'required' plan changes (not of my own choosing), I'm now paying $75 p/m for a plan that is as close to the original... as I just kept on rolling over to their suggested plans when they took effect.

Yes, of course, there have been some minor increases in limits over this time. And we have seen the off-peak period returned to what I think it was back in early `05 (after reducing this period for a stint).

However, the recent changes, along with the soon to be implemented ones, are quite generous. I applaud thee, eXeTeL! Alongside these big-hearted changes, I must also laud you for providing the value-added services/utilities such as the 'eXeSMS' utility, the various 'Usage Meters', and possibly the soon to be implemented "FAX Via Email" option.

Who knows, I may now feel comfortable enough to start recommending more relatives, friends or colleagues to your provisions... now that the referral scheme is to also be re-established :P

Come this federal election, I too will be voting '1' for eXeTeL.

- TZ!

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 am

Thy_Zombie! wrote: Come this federal election, I too will be voting '1' for eXeTeL.
Perhaps Exetel and Telstra should go head to head at the Election.

.. Wait, Telstra would whinge some lies like foreign ownership or supporting Exetel is supporting crime, or Exetel steal from us, insert other rubbish from Telstra here..

But we'd already know who would come out on top, Exetel of course.

Legend

Post by Legend » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:20 am

rav0 wrote:
Legend wrote:
That's not true either.
What does hapen to people who download over 48 GB in one month?
They get put in the lechers pool for the remainder of this month.
Thy_Zombie! wrote:.
From memory, my plan started out at $55 p/m. After several 'required' plan changes (not of my own choosing), I'm now paying $75 p/m for a plan that is as close to the original... as I just kept on rolling over to their suggested plans when they took effect.
Are you taking into account the increases in off-peak limits? When I joined in May 2005 the off-peak limit was 20GB so I was effectively paying $45 for 24+20GB or $1.02/GB. I'm now paying $55 for the same plan but the off-peak will soon be 48GB so the effective price has dropped to 76.4c/GB
And we have seen the off-peak period returned to what I think it was back in early `05 (after reducing this period for a stint).
In Jan 2005 it was 12am-8am. It then changed to 2am-9am and then 2am-10am. I don't think it was ever as generous as it is now.

royale

Post by royale » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:50 am

Just on the SMS thing as at the start of October. As per the opening post I am now aware that there are 20 free SMS's for the month. When you start firing them off there is no indication that you are using the 20 free, moreso, it actually says the cost is $0.05 when it really is a free one.

Is this the way it will continue to work or will we just have to keep our eye on the unbilled SMS's and once it reaches 20 know it will then be charged?

And 2nd point, there isn't a tab under any of the headings in User Facilities where you can find your monthly usage. I am aware that usage is the first thing that does come up once you have logged in, and the only other way which I found out is by clicking the "Exetel Members" main heading which will take you back to https://www.exetel.com.au/members/home.php. Could this be perhaps added to either tabs "ADSL" or "Account Details".

Thanks in advance..

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:54 am

royale wrote:Just on the SMS thing as at the start of October. As per the opening post I am now aware that there are 20 free SMS's for the month. When you start firing them off there is no indication that you are using the 20 free, moreso, it actually says the cost is $0.05 when it really is a free one.

1) Is this the way it will continue to work or will we just have to keep our eye on the unbilled SMS's and once it reaches 20 know it will then be charged?

2) And 2nd point, there isn't a tab under any of the headings in User Facilities where you can find your monthly usage. I am aware that usage is the first thing that does come up once you have logged in, and the only other way which I found out is by clicking the "Exetel Members" main heading which will take you back to https://www.exetel.com.au/members/home.php. Could this be perhaps added to either tabs "ADSL" or "Account Details".

Thanks in advance..
1) The user facilities display will be changed to show the first 20 SMS at $0.00 but the bill will clearly show this when it's run on November 1st.

2) I'll forward your suggestion.

royale

Post by royale » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Furthermore, on the SMS thing, once you click on "send SMS from web" (and I know this is trivial) but thought I would mention it anyway. Once you have setup a default sender, it still comes up saying that you have not setup a default sender. If you then click on "SMS default sender" the correct details are held.