Changes To Exetel Broadband Plans

Old, inactive threads
austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:06 pm

ExetelRocks wrote:Off-peak is slow enough as it is. I'd prefer less allowance with faster speeds ...
I agree with ExetelRocks but dogwomble makes an interesting point.

I wonder if it would be possible to have two different types of bandwidth use over the same network without impacting each other. I have seriously reservations.

If it could be done, perhaps Exetel customers could select their own off-peak, from a range that suits Exetel's network management. Provided, of course, that peak network performance is unaffected. Allowing customers to narrow their bandwidth and increase congestion when it best suits Exetel.

Which would probably still be close to the 12:00AM to 12:00PM. In the mean time, anything that can improve performance after midnight would be a very welcome improvement.

Most of the time when I go past midnight, the Internet drops to dial-up speed. When I'm trying to finish a job on the Internet, it becomes very frustrating when only minutes before the whole thing was working like a charm.

Cheers,

Mike

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 pm

ExetelRocks wrote:Off-peak is slow enough as it is. I'd prefer less allowance with faster speeds ...
Just curious, how much do you download in off peak?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Nothing we can see would show that speed after misnight is affected in any way.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 pm

austdata wrote:
I agree with ExetelRocks but dogwomble makes an interesting point.

I wonder if it would be possible to have two different types of bandwidth use over the same network without impacting each other. I have seriously reservations.

If it could be done, perhaps Exetel customers could select their own off-peak, from a range that suits Exetel's network management. Provided, of course, that peak network performance is unaffected. Allowing customers to narrow their bandwidth and increase congestion when it best suits Exetel.

Which would probably still be close to the 12:00AM to 12:00PM. In the mean time, anything that can improve performance after midnight would be a very welcome improvement.

Most of the time when I go past midnight, the Internet drops to dial-up speed. When I'm trying to finish a job on the Internet, it becomes very frustrating when only minutes before the whole thing was working like a charm.

Cheers,

Mike

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:09 pm

I provide an offsite backup service for a few clients, so some of my offpeak downloads is from that. The rest may be torrenting or Joost.

This month I have used about 12G in peak time and 12G in offpeak in downloads.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 am

James wrote:Just curious, how much do you download in off peak?
G'day James,
Somewhere between 2 and 6 Gigabytes a month. I'm more than happy with the quota, it's terrific.

My problem is (usually) the speed after midnight. Of course, as I type this, the speed is looking great. :oops:

It's the same when I go to the dentist, the tooth is killing me when I make the appointment but when I get there it feels fine. :roll:

Cheers,

Mike

ExetelRocks

Post by ExetelRocks » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 pm

James wrote:
Around 10GB ...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:05 am

austdata wrote:
G'day James,
Somewhere between 2 and 6 Gigabytes a month. I'm more than happy with the quota, it's terrific.

My problem is (usually) the speed after midnight. Of course, as I type this, the speed is looking great. :oops:

It's the same when I go to the dentist, the tooth is killing me when I make the appointment but when I get there it feels fine. :roll:

Cheers,

Mike
Like your experience when you made your recent post - every time I look at the graphs after a post like yours I see no congestion anywhere.

Exetel adds bandwidth every month and we constantly watch the impact of adding new users.

The new load balancing (between Verizon and Optus) script written by an Exetel network engineer has added even more 'sensitivity' to the shifting of address blocks to ensure there is no congestion on either link and this is now done at 5 minute intervals 24x7.

We will commence installing the new P2P caching engine and raid arrays next week with the expectation that by the end of November that additional service will be operating in full trial mode.

If the P2P caching solution delivers the expected 300 mbps+ of additional direct 'bandwidth' then there will be over 2 gbps of bandwidth available for around 50,000 DSL users which is well over what the Telstra and Optus backhaul networks are planned to be provisioned at (30 mbps for Optus and some unknown number for Telstra but likely to be around the same as Optus; perhaps higher - no-one knows)

We see no congestion on any link we have deployed though there is, very clearly, backhaul congestion to/from many Optus ADSL2 exchanges that vary in time and location. There were also congestion problems on a number of telstra exchanges in the December 2006 - early March 2007 period.

Before getting too hot under the collar about carrier backhaul provisioning it must be remembered that networks around the world are feeling the strains imposed by the significant additional loads that new applications have brought to internet traffic.

If you were an early customer of BigPond (on the "massively fast" 512/128) service some 5-6 years ago you would remember just how slow (and how unreliable) that service was in the early stages.

It happens.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
austdata wrote:
G'day James,

Cheers,

Mike
Like your experience when you made yourrecent post - every time I loook at the graphs after a post like yours I see no congestion anywhere.

Exetel adds bandwidth every month and we constantly watch the impact of adding new users.

The new load balancing (between Verizon and Optus) script written by an Exetel network engineer has added even more 'sensitivity' to the shifting of address blocks to ensure there is no congestion on either link and this is now done at 5 minute intervals 24x7.

We will commence installing the new P2P caching engine and raid arrays next week with the expectation that by the end of November that additional service will be operating in full trial mode.

If the P2P caching solution delivers the expected 300 mbps+ of additional direct 'bandwidth' then there will be over 2 gbps of bandwidth available for around 50,000 DSL users which is well over what the Telstra and Optus backhaul networks are planned to be provisioned at (30 mbps for Optus and some unknown number for Telstra but likely to be around the same as Optus; perhaps higher - no-one knows)

We see no congestion on any link we have deployed though there is, very clearly, backhaul congestion to/from many Optus ADSL2 exchanges that vary in time and location. There were also congestion problems on a number of telstra exchanges in the December 2006 - early March 2007 period.

Before getting too hot under the collar about carrier backhaul provisioning it must be remembered that networks around the world are feeling the strains imposed by the significant additional loads that new applications have brought to internet traffic.

If you were an early customer of BigPond (on the "massively fast" 512/128) service some 5-6 years ago you would remember just how slow (and how unreliable) that service was in the early stages.

It happens.
Don't hold me to gold on this, but how do you claim no congestion, when I look at the RRD graphs, I can see clearly they hit the peak for a sustained length of time in certain times.

You can see this clearly on the graphs, the links run at peak capacity at times. There's still more work on shifting that peak load, or trying to stop the links running at maximum capacity (they have and do run at 100% at TIMES).

An example, just so it doesn't appear to you that I am out to attack, but rather, highlight that the links do find themselves at 100% (congestion levels): Weekly graph, Tuesday AM, you can see that the green line has a FLAT on top of it, indicating sustained, flatline near 600Mbps access.

Everyone should know you won't actually reach that 600Mbps, due to overheads, etc, but the link does run at 100% capacity.

I'll tell everyone now so this doesn't look bad for Exetel, adding more capacity to those links, will only see them run at 100%, but at a higher speed usage, and therefore a higher cost base for Exetel.

The solution is there, in caching the higher bandwidth content. That would be P2P for many, and much would be repeat accessed content.

I'd be keen to review the link activity after the caching system is in. It'll be so exciting to see the drop off in high peak activity, and I trust Exetel will leave the links as is, so that the links simply run at a lower percentage (80% or less) for the time to allow for growth in usage.

The yearly graph (which has a great monthly guage) suggests they aren't at 100% all the time (due to the peaks, and drops), but look at the outgoing in September.

Exetel did something to reduce a large amount of upload traffic? Or was it something else that sparked a drop in outgoing traffic?

Actually, even better showing of 100% capacity, Verizon 750Mbps running past that.

Omo

Post by Omo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:48 am

ForumAdmin wrote: Like your experience when you made yourrecent post - every time I loook at the graphs after a post like yours I see no congestion anywhere.
You are mistaken

http://www.bradleyamm.org/upload/untitled.JPG

I see some

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:17 am

The current total capacity of the ingress/egress is 850+600+the peak achieved at the same time on the PIPE link (which has reached around 350 mbps but more lately is around 270 mbps) - around 1.72 gbps over the last few days.

The smoothing script shifts address blocks from link to link every five minutes to deal with a situation where either the Verizon or Optus links are reaching saturation.

800 mbps isn't the maximum on the Verizon link.

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 pm

For me, these changes were the reason we decided to go with Exetel. They were the icing on the cake! We were down to a shortlist of three ISP's and Exetel were the front runner anyway. But this made the decision easier. :)

Thanks and Cheers to all at Exetel! To paraphrase Spock: May you all live long and prosper! ;) LOL

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 am

pjb42 wrote:For me, these changes were the reason we decided to go with Exetel. They were the icing on the cake! We were down to a shortlist of three ISP's and Exetel were the front runner anyway. But this made the decision easier. :)

Thanks and Cheers to all at Exetel! To paraphrase Spock: May you all live long and prosper! ;) LOL
They are the BETTER VALUE ISP :).

I don't think anyone else really comes close for TW ADSL ports!

CrackerJak

Post by CrackerJak » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:42 am

Great work excetel, never thought i would need to use my clients scheduler but being allowed 72 gigs in off peak is the perfect reason to use the scheduler and greatly appreciated.
I made the "yellow pool" control group last month what happens if i download more than 48gig this month? Will i be automatically placed into a control pool at the start of next month for getting into the control groups two months in a row?

Thanks for reading.

munch

Post by munch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:01 pm

I would like a bit of clarification on whats happening with this months offpeak. As far as I know the 'soft limit' is 48gig, but what happens once you go over that? I don't know how to put this but, is the 'harder limit' 64gig or 72gig, and what happens if you go over that?
There was some talk of a black pool, but I've seen that people have already gone over 72gigs this month, and nothing really has happened, (apart from being placed in the strictest bandwidth pool). What happens if you are still in contract and you go into the former mentioned black pool?

Thanks