Email To SMS Function

Old, inactive threads
mikesander

Email To SMS Function

Post by mikesander » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 am

I might be missing something, but this is what I'm gettings.

1. I've gone to user functions, and added an email-to-sms email address (i added my email at work)

2. I put in a test password: xxxxx

3. I selected max 3 SMS's per email

4. I when on to MS Outlook and wrote an email:
subject: xxxxx
to: 0401_____@sms.exemail.com.au (my mobile number)
msg: this is a test message

And nothing comes through.

Is there a way I can confirm that the message was received?

Mike

James D

Post by James D » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 pm

I believe the first time that you send the message you need to just send a message to that email address with your password in the subject line from the registered email address.

Once that is done try sending another one to the email address with a standard subject and small test message.

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply James!

Just sent the second email with a quick subject and msg to the same numebr 0401XXX@sms.exemail.com.au

nothing.

Has anyone made this work yet?

Cheers
Mike

James D

Post by James D » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:44 am

It works for me.

The way i have it set up is as follows:

1. email a@blah.com is the registered email with the password X

2. email e@sms.exemail.com.au set up to point to phone number 0424xxxxxx

3. sent a blank email from a@blah.com to e@sms.exemail.com.au with the subject as my password X

4. Sent a test message from a@blah.com to e@sms.exemail.com.au with test subject and small body of text and it forwards to my phone.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:51 am

mikesander wrote: Has anyone made this work yet?
Yep... I've just registered. It took about 5min for the SMS to come through.

The only different thing I've done is setup the 'SMS default sender' to my mobile number. However I can't imagine that would be required to get the SMS to email working.

cheers,
Peter

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:57 am

It works for me.

The way i have it set up is as follows:
Maybe I've misunderstood?

I thought the email to SMS functions purpose was:

Set up an authorised "from" address and password

Then, from that authorised address, you can sms any phone, just by emailing the phonenumber@sms.exemail.com.au

i.e. I don't want to download the sms api or program, I just want to be able to sms my contact list in outlook by emailing their mobile number.

Is this not how it works?

SR

Post by SR » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:44 am

same issue - set up as per the instructions and nothing comes through. Only the web interface will successfully send a mesage to a mobile.

here's a cut & paste of the instructions on the web - doesn't say anything like "send a test message first with blank body & password subject, and then send normal messages after this!"
How To Use:
Register an email address that you have access to and supply us with a password.
Send an email from this registered address
Set To: "destination mobile"@sms.exemail.com.au
Set Subject: "your password".
Add your message and send.

William M

Post by William M » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 am

Hi,

Could you please supply me with your service numbers and the source email address you have used to send the emails?

Thanks Will.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 pm

James D wrote:1. email a@blah.com is the registered email with the password X
I take it that this is done in the web page: "Exetel Mobile Facilities - Manage Your Web SMS - Sending Email to SMS", is that correct?
James D wrote: 2. email e@sms.exemail.com.au set up to point to phone number 0424xxxxxx
Where is this done? In this scenario, is the registered e-mail address a@blah.com or email e@sms.exemail.com.au?
James D wrote: 3. sent a blank email from a@blah.com to e@sms.exemail.com.au with the subject as my password X
So I would automat, say, enquiries@mydomain.com.au to send an e-mail to, say, 0147123123@sms.exemail.com.au (assuming the e-mail address needs to include the mobile number - I'd prefer not), the password entered in the "Exetel Mobile Facilities - Manage Your Web SMS - Sending Email to SMS" web page as the subject and the body of the e-mail is left blank?

Does the process require the e-mail with the password every time an SMS is sent or just once a day or something else?
James D wrote: 4. Sent a test message from a@blah.com to e@sms.exemail.com.au with test subject and small body of text and it forwards to my phone.
Where does e@sms.exemail.com.au get set up?

Cheers,

Mike

William M

Post by William M » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:45 am

Hi,

Where is this done? In this scenario, is the registered e-mail address a@blah.com or email e@sms.exemail.com.au?
email a@blah.com is the registered email with the password X
Where does e@sms.exemail.com.au get set up?
It doesn't as you've set up/registered "a@blah.com" to be the source email address.

Does the process require the e-mail with the password every time an SMS is sent or just once a day or something else?
Your password is required every time.
So I would automat, say, enquiries@mydomain.com.au to send an e-mail to, say, 0147123123@sms.exemail.com.au (assuming the e-mail address needs to include the mobile number - I'd prefer not), the password entered in the "Exetel Mobile Facilities - Manage Your Web SMS - Sending Email to SMS" web page as the subject and the body of the e-mail is left blank?
Yes, you must include the destination mobile address within the email address. You must also place text within the body. It cannot be blank.

Also, if you read within the user facilities the information and process is explained simply within the "Registered Email to SMS" page.

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm

William M wrote:Also, if you read within the user facilities the information and process is explained simply within the "Registered Email to SMS" page.
With respect William, I think it's only simple if someone already knows how it's done.

I've already tried what I think is what you've said above but there is no response, no SMS and no e-mail bounce.

I know I'm missing something simple. I think instructions are best written by people who haven't seen an application before. There may be a "before you do anything else, do this...." but I can't see it.

Cheers,

Mike

William M

Post by William M » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi,

Please PM me your details and I will see why it is failing.

Is this post in relation to the post you have create at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=23766?

If so, have you followed the suggestion supplied by Klass?

Thanks Will

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Yes it is. Klass has suggested I drop the "Registered Email to SMS" an d use the "Email to SMS" instead (if I've read it correctly).

I'll try that in a few minutes and if it fails I'll PM you. If it works I'll post the results.

William, thanks for your quick response.

Cheers,

Mike

austdata

Re: Email To SMS Function

Post by austdata » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:15 pm

The open E-mail to SMS option is working very nicely now. Thanks very much. That's a straight forward set up.

I wrote some instructions while I was doing it. They may or may not be useful. They have been PM'ed to Exetel just in case.

They will also help William to see if I still have the wrong idea in mind. :wink:

My next task is to work out a way to close the E-mail to SMS link so only my automated system can "Email2SMS" me. :twisted:

I think that's what the Registered E-mail to SMS is for. I hope so anyway.

Cheers,

Mike