Wireless Hotspots

Old, inactive threads
stealth

Wireless Hotspots

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:06 am

One thing Exetel could look at doing is offering Wireless Hotspot access (if they haven't already looked into this) eg. Telstra bigpond do it. Exetel would probably have to find a Wholesaler that does this.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:22 am

Where would you want one?

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 am

Maybe aleast in all the capital cities, Telstra have hotspots in most McDonalds, I wonder if they would wholesale them to exetel

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am

Maybe exetel could setup a service like in this article

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14043/127

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:36 am

stealth wrote:Maybe aleast in all the capital cities, Telstra have hotspots in most McDonalds, I wonder if they would wholesale them to exetel
It would be interesting to see what the usage is at those locations, if such information were ever available.

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:41 am

What about a service like in this article

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:56 am

stealth wrote:Maybe exetel could setup a service like in this article

It seems very restrictive.

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:59 am

To some people who wouldn't mind assisting exetel in offering this service I don't think it would be an issue. Only if the data going through the hotspot was counted towards the hotspot user (another exetel user) and not the hotspot operator. Radius accounting would need to be used. DD-Wrt seems popular

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:09 pm

if setup correctly it wouldn't compromise network security

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:32 pm

stealth wrote:To some people who wouldn't mind assisting exetel in offering this service I don't think it would be an issue. Only if the data going through the hotspot was counted towards the hotspot user (another exetel user) and not the hotspot operator. Radius accounting would need to be used. DD-Wrt seems popular
The concept is interesting.

I'm not sure how it can actually be made to work but, if it could, then it could be a real benefit to Exetel customers as an income generator.

Getting it off the ground would be very, very hard in my opionion but it's worth considering.

(I think, if the article description is correct, the way iiNet are approaching it will never work).

Do you have any detailed thoughts about how you personally could do this?

stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Ok i'll draw up my thoughts and see what you guys think. I'll post them hopefully later today or tonight

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Thank you.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 pm

I've already thought about this and approached James L about the possibility of having Exetel as the backbone provider.

Hardware/network would comprise of (roughly from memory)

RADIUS server (either hosted at Exetel or at the WiFi Hotspot)
High capacity WiFi access point
Cisco router/s
Directional WiFi Antennas to cover the area targeted.

Now the reason why i though about the RASIUS server being hosted at Exetel for the moment is the suggestion for a way for Exetel to offer WiFi to existing clients is DB traffic is kept within the internal Exetel auth intranet (for security)

The only problem i see (well i saw from being in rural nsw) is that SHDSL isn't avial in my area, so multi lines of 8mbit and 512/512 lines would be required in order to keep up with connected clients needs.

Now i was focused on basically providing a true WiFi service so people could drop their phone line all together (basically a WiFi ISP), and because of the low density population of my area.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:I've already thought about this and approached James L about the possibility of having Exetel as the backbone provider.

Hardware/network would comprise of (roughly from memory)

RADIUS server (either hosted at Exetel or at the WiFi Hotspot)
High capacity WiFi access point
Cisco router/s
Directional WiFi Antennas to cover the area targeted.

Now the reason why i though about the RASIUS server being hosted at Exetel for the moment is the suggestion for a way for Exetel to offer WiFi to existing clients is DB traffic is kept within the internal Exetel auth intranet (for security)

The only problem i see (well i saw from being in rural nsw) is that SHDSL isn't avial in my area, so multi lines of 8mbit and 512/512 lines would be required in order to keep up with connected clients needs.

Now i was focused on basically providing a true WiFi service so people could drop their phone line all together (basically a WiFi ISP), and because of the low density population of my area.
From memory you wanted to offer this as symmetric DSL was not available in your area?

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

James wrote:From memory you wanted to offer this as symmetric DSL was not available in your area?
Yes. not happy Jan lol.