Wireless Hotspots

Old, inactive threads
stealth

Post by stealth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:22 pm

I think intially it can be done using exsiting exetel customer connections and using Linksys routers with DD-wrt http://www.dd-wrt.com firmware, whatever data goes through the hotspot doesn't count towards the users usage but is counted towards the user that uses the hotspot.

If the hotspot area is viable, then you could place a permanent hotspot in.

I also ment this idea to supplement adsl not replace it and so exetel users can use it while they are out and about.
Last edited by stealth on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 pm

I live in a unit block with 100 apartments... I'm sure plenty of renters would probably be interested.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:20 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I live in a unit block with 100 apartments... I'm sure plenty of renters would probably be interested.
Why wouldn't you offer connection to your current service on a month by month basis and bill them for use of it?

Marketing the service would consist of printing 100 A4 pages with a sales story and rates.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Why wouldn't you offer connection to your current service on a month by month basis and bill them for use of it?

Marketing the service would consist of printing 100 A4 pages with a sales story and rates.
I know of one current business in my area that would, except there is a clause in the T&C (last looked at the T&C's approx 12 months ago) about the resale of Exetels' service is not allowed. To provide and charge for a WiFi access point (while Exetel is the backbone/carrier) without prior arrangements in writing would be a breach of those T&C.... - i have a blood sucking lawyer too :)

Unless Exetel is going to waive that clause and give permission in writing ........

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Why wouldn't you offer connection to your current service on a month by month basis and bill them for use of it?

I know of one current business in my area that would, except there is a clause in the T&C (last looked at the T&C's approx 12 months ago) about the resale of Exetels' service is not allowed. To provide and charge for a WiFi access point (while Exetel is the backbone/carrier) without prior arrangements in writing would be a breach of those T&C.... - i have a blood sucking lawyer too :)

Unless Exetel is going to wave that clause and give permission in writing ........
It would be a seperate agreement along the lines of the current VISP agreement.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:

Unless Exetel is going to waive that clause and give permission in writing ........
It would be possible to do on the following basis:

1. Enter into a reseller agreement to be a WiFi VISP

2. Exetel setup up a RADIUS portal whereby each WiFi VISP can register their own users

3. The WiFi VISP is billed for each user at a wholesale rate by Exetel

4. The WiFi VISP bills their own customers however they want, using the usage available by the RADIUS portal

5. Because the RADIUS server is centralized, end users can roam to any WiFI VISP node

I think this is very similar to the way anyone can become a WiFi reseller using Linksys - just by downloading the hotspot firmware.

stealth

Post by stealth » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:46 pm

Yes this is basically what i've been saying. But also have the option where exetel handles billing. :)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:42 pm

stealth wrote:Yes this is basically what i've been saying. But also have the option where exetel handles billing. :)
I can't see any way of Exetel handling billing - except on a buying in advance basis.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:06 am

Stealth, your original idea seems to have been 'borrowed' by British Telecom:

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14740/127/

If you, or anyone else, is interested in seeing what this could mean in practice Exetel would be interested in setting up much of what you've suggested.

kogi

Post by kogi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:54 am

I'd be interested, I already have a dd-wrt router.

kogi

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:00 am

I think this is a fantastic idea, on the basic "share-and-care" idiom, perhaps any participating exetel "wifi-host" can use any other exetel hotspot and have their usage charged back to their own account.

Non-participants could be charged individually on a prepaid basis.

Would Exetel care to comment on the last paragraph of the ITwire article:
However it is not clear whether Tomizone's, or FON's, modus operandi would be legal in Australia: providing a public access communications link generally requires a carrier licence.
Mike

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am

mikesander wrote:I think this is a fantastic idea, on the basic "share-and-care" idiom, perhaps any participating exetel "wifi-host" can use any other exetel hotspot and have their usage charged back to their own account.

Non-participants could be charged individually on a prepaid basis.

Would Exetel care to comment on the last paragraph of the ITwire article:
However it is not clear whether Tomizone's, or FON's, modus operandi would be legal in Australia: providing a public access communications link generally requires a carrier licence.
Mike
I can comment but I have no legal basis for my comments.

Currently, and as far in to the future planning as I can see at this time, Exetel doesn't have a carrier license but retails a very wide range of telephone and communications services.

Whether some hot spot concept somehow requires a license I don't know.

atmint

Re: Wireless Hotspots

Post by atmint » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:19 am

stealth wrote:One thing Exetel could look at doing is offering Wireless Hotspot access (if they haven't already looked into this) eg. Telstra bigpond do it. Exetel would probably have to find a Wholesaler that does this.
It is a great idea, I use a favorite hotspot that is free part time, it is essential to have one, good to meet with other people you do not want to bring to your office or studio. Whatever happened to Google's plan to provide free wifi over San Francisco? (http://gigaom.com/2005/09/30/google-con ... ifi-plans/)

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, be here is the "in-practice" as I see it.

Bandwidth costs:
As far as Exetel is concerned, bandwidth is bandwidth, ingress and egress. I.e. given 2 ADSL accounts, if one downloads 24GB and the other 0GB it costs the same as if they both download 12GB???

I would see it as this:

Exetel would set up a VPN or similar server.
Exetel users can register a VPN account, and link it to their home account.
Non-exetel users can pre-pay some bandwidth (please make it data based, not time based) on a VPN account.

Hotspot owners set up their hotspot so that access is only allowed to the local network for select computers (i.e. their own), and via VPN login to the hotspot.exetel.com.au server. The hotspot firmware should allow limits to be set on the bandwidth and number of connections allowed by the public at any time, so that their own connection is not affected.

So, as I see it, the cost to exetel is:
$0 for hotspot data from exetel users (as it is billed to the users' account), and therefore part of normal bandwidth allocations.

$0 for data from non-exetel users (it should be prepaid at a profit to exetel, and therefore include any extra bandwidth provisioning)

$x for a VPN/login server - i'm sure the costs of setting this up would be considerable.

$x for additional admin costs

Obviously a pre-paid system reduces finance costs of bad debts etc etc for non-exetel users.

Benefits for exetel users:
possibly being reimbursed a % of the prepaid user amounts on their account.

Benefits for exetel
- The possibility of being able to rapidly deploy an exelent wireless network across australia very cheaply.
- The ability to far under-cut even the cheapest publically available hotspots which are time and data charged
- The ability to work with individual businesses who might want to set up a hotspot - i.e. for a cafe, it might cost $80/month for an ADSL2+ connection, and they might get it completely reimbursed by users, and be the cheapest hotspot on the street. Anyone with a phone line could do it.

personally I would do it just for the good of humanity, and so my neighbours would have a connection should they want it.

Just my garbled stream-of-consciousness thoughts.

Mike

simonpaton

Pricing

Post by simonpaton » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 am

I totally agree with Mike's comments. Think of it almost as a WikiHotSpot network. You have to be contributing to the growth of the network to use and benefit. Individuals who contribute get rebated for a % usage of the network. In our local airport (Wagga Wagga) there is a Bigpond Hotspot. If you have a Bigpond account then you can access the hotspot and the cost gets added to your bill. Otherwise you can provide credit card details to but some time (much like an internet cafe).

WikiHotSpots - network your community!