Wireless Hotspots

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:42 am

Omo wrote:I reakon its a stupid idea. Why would I want to give randoms access to my internet and download limit. Every MB they download is another MB I cant download
There are, literally, dozens of such implementations around the world.

One way Exetel thought of providing such a service for 'random' internet connection is provided is that the 'random user' buys a block of hours and when he/she uses someone's connection they get a credit against their next invoice for the downloads used.

ExetelRocks

Post by ExetelRocks » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 am

Omo wrote:I reakon its a stupid idea. Why would I want to give randoms access to my internet and download limit. Every MB they download is another MB I cant download
Not every country has download limits. I can see how this would work in the UK where you generally pay for a certain speed and can download as much as you please.

Country Bumkin

Some More Thoughts on Internet sharing

Post by Country Bumkin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Some more thoughts on Internet connection sharing.

Some OP's are still keen on the hotspot idea, it think that near term
internet access will be shaped by some of these factors...

(1) The major mobile handset manufacturers recently agreed on a uniform
interface connector for 3G handsets - a form of micro USB connector.
It is only a small extension to make a 3G handset a USB connected HSPDA
data modem and add a some internet data allowance to voice phone plans.

(2) I hear rumors of a GSM network switch off around 2011 so 3G coverage
and handsets will be widespread before then.

This combination means modest amounts of internet data will be available
to almost everybody, anywhere and will leave the only market for commercial
hotspots around foreign tourist attractions.

For the fixed location residential market I will assume...

(3) A rampaging Telstra will continue to disproportionally increase landline
access charges as they lose voice call revenue to VOIP and competitors.

(4) The various FTTN proposals will further increase landline internet access
charges but hopefully lower the cost of bandwidth.

(5) The availability of consumer WiMax equipment will make wireless networking
better and simpler.

This combination suggests the cost - benefit of landline sharing will improve with
time and technology improvements.

The combination of 1-5 makes possible the much heralded but never quite delivered
concept of a full service - no landline household, with bulk internet and VOIP
data by a wireless linked, shared land line and with a mobile and backup data
pathway by 3G HSPDA handset.

Regards C Bumkin

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Simple.. don't do it. No one is forcing you to. No one is saying that you must or you have to. Grow up.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:40 pm

uh im pretty sure, the plan is for reselling/splitting the costs.
Not just to run an unsecured wireless network.

I can see this is a good idea, I see it the same as sharing a single connection in a shared house, but instead your splitting the costs with neighbors etc.

I can see this as working well in australia since a large percent of our internet costs are line rental and port costs.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:10 am

DarkLotus wrote:

I can see this is a good idea, I see it the same as sharing a single connection in a shared house, but instead your splitting the costs with neighbors etc.

I can see this as working well in australia since a large percent of our internet costs are line rental and port costs.
That's what we think.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:14 pm

DarkLotus wrote:

Omo,
DarkLotus is right (as is Forum Admin too :wink: ). If you go to a friends place, also an Exetel customer, and key your details into their ADSL modem the modem will authenticate as you and charge any bandwidth use to your account. Authentication is another name for "logging in".

That part works the same as Dial Up, so any Exetel customer can share any Exetel ADSL account.

The only problem being, if we stuff it up - we will be charged. :shock: Which is fair enough I suppose. And I have no idea if the practice is discouraged. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

MarcusAureliusMaxima

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:26 pm

For this to work you would need to distribute regulary to nomiated users some sort of directory so people can see which streets the nearest Exetel hot spot is.

I can imagine how usefull this will be to proffessionals who are on the road alot and need access to internet a reasonable speeds and price - currently not offered by Telstra Next-g

hbechaz

Post by hbechaz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:48 pm

MarcusAureliusMaxima wrote:For this to work you would need to distribute regulary to nomiated users some sort of directory so people can see which streets the nearest Exetel hot spot is.

I can imagine how usefull this will be to proffessionals who are on the road alot and need access to internet a reasonable speeds and price - currently not offered by Telstra Next-g
Actually, I see this being most useful for fixed services where multiple nearby dwellings are part of a WiFi network which is backhauled by single dwellings DSL (or other) service. This way the line rental cost of the DSL backhaul can be shared by those using the service, but each person using the service (including the owner of the premises providing the backhaul) pays for their own data service (with Exetel) which includes a data allowance.

I think the idea is to share the fixed line cost, but for everyone to have a separately metered data service.

Anyone that has ever live in a share house will remember the trials and tribulations of splitting the phone bill. Even though the bill is itemised no-one ever admits to making that expensive call to Nigeria at 3am in the morning. Consider further that such cases of "unreasonable use" on the part of an individual in a shared Internet service could result in excess usage charges, shaping, or worse still cancellation of the service.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:22 am

MarcusAureliusMaxima wrote:For this to work you would need to distribute regulary to nomiated users some sort of directory so people can see which streets the nearest Exetel hot spot is.
NodeDB.com ?

MarcusAureliusMaxima

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:NodeDB.com ?
Exactly what is needed, but I am thinking you could also generate a PDF once a month so those of us who are on the road can have a copy handy to find the nearest hotspot

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:08 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:It would be possible to do on the following basis:

1. Enter into a reseller agreement to be a WiFi VISP

2. Exetel setup up a RADIUS portal whereby each WiFi VISP can register their own users

3. The WiFi VISP is billed for each user at a wholesale rate by Exetel

4. The WiFi VISP bills their own customers however they want, using the usage available by the RADIUS portal

5. Because the RADIUS server is centralized, end users can roam to any WiFI VISP node

I think this is very similar to the way anyone can become a WiFi reseller using Linksys - just by downloading the hotspot firmware.
Who do i need to talk to/contact for more in depth infomation about this? Currently i am getting quotes for WiFi AP devices and setting up hardware for a business who wishes to provide WiFi access to their visitors (Motel).

Current time line to get WiFi access up and running - within 3 months (from customer)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:58 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:
NetworkAdmin wrote:It would be possible to do on the following basis:

1. Enter into a reseller agreement to be a WiFi VISP

2. Exetel setup up a RADIUS portal whereby each WiFi VISP can register their own users

3. The WiFi VISP is billed for each user at a wholesale rate by Exetel

4. The WiFi VISP bills their own customers however they want, using the usage available by the RADIUS portal

5. Because the RADIUS server is centralized, end users can roam to any WiFI VISP node

I think this is very similar to the way anyone can become a WiFi reseller using Linksys - just by downloading the hotspot firmware.
Who do i need to talk to/contact for more in depth infomation about this? Currently i am getting quotes for WiFi AP devices and setting up hardware for a business who wishes to provide WiFi access to their visitors (Motel).

Current time line to get WiFi access up and running - within 3 months (from customer)
The motel should just do it themselves by using business grade ADSL/SHDSL or a residential connection.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:10 pm

James wrote:The motel should just do it themselves by using business grade ADSL/SHDSL or a residential connection.
James,
You already know yourself where i am SHDSL is not avial.

And secondly... (trying to be nice here) should i point out Exetels AUP?

In fact i will, taken from here
1.1 The Service provided by Exetel is for the personal use of the Customer or a Business End User in the manner described in the Agreement only and may not be used for any resale purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of Exetel.

In the event that a Service is used for resale purposes without Exetel's prior written consent, Exetel will immediately cancel the Service.
Providing WiFi access via Exetel ADSL services (providing a WiFi access point to charge Motel occupants) is reselling.

If Exetel is willing to provide documentation (hard copy) to my client stating the following (in brief)
They are allowed to provide a WiFi access point using Exetel's ADSL's service and charging Motel tenants (for want of a better term) then i will withdraw my short tempered post from above and submit my apology.

But if not, then please James, think before you leap.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:18 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:
James wrote:The motel should just do it themselves by using business grade ADSL/SHDSL or a residential connection.
James,
You already know yourself where i am SHDSL is not avial.

And secondly... (trying to be nice here) should i point out Exetels AUP?

In fact i will, taken from here
1.1 The Service provided by Exetel is for the personal use of the Customer or a Business End User in the manner described in the Agreement only and may not be used for any resale purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of Exetel.

In the event that a Service is used for resale purposes without Exetel's prior written consent, Exetel will immediately cancel the Service.
Providing WiFi access via Exetel ADSL services (providing a WiFi access point to charge Motel occupants) is reselling.

If Exetel is willing to provide documentation (hard copy) to my client stating the following (in brief)
They are allowed to provide a WiFi access point using Exetel's ADSL's service and charging Motel tenants (for want of a better term) then i will withdraw my short tempered post from above and submit my apology.

But if not, then please James, think before you leap.
You could have moved? and since we last spoke SHDSL has become available in many new locations.

I know our AUP quite well thanks - we sometimes make writen exceptions for different customers, but this is on a case by case basis.