SMS Via Your ADSL Connection

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

SMS Via Your ADSL Connection

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 am

We have now completed adding the various functions and capabilities that have been suggested by the customers who participated in the original discussion thread.

This service is now being used by an increasing number of Exetel users each day and any further suggestions for additional functions or suggestions on how the current wording/presentation should be modified would, as usual, be welcome.

atmint

Re: SMS Via Your ADSL Connection

Post by atmint » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:23 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We have now completed adding the various functions and capabilities that have been suggested by the customers who participated in the original discussion thread.

This service is now being used by an increasing number of Exetel users each day and any further suggestions for additional functions or suggestions on how the current wording/presentation should be modified would, as usual, be welcome.
What about consideration for the growing MAC community? It seems we are often forgotten or neglected, however, we are a growing segment.

Swish

Post by Swish » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:44 am

I second that... :cry:

Macko

Post by Macko » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:47 am

I have already tried the SMS service and it works great. Ideal for me as I have no mobile phone.

Only one question: according to a notification I've received on 17th September, it stated: "You can send 20 free SMS messages from your broadband service at no charge each month; after 20 the charge is 5 cents per message". Thereafter there was no mention of the first 20 being free. Is that still applicable?

I did pay 5c per SMS when I used it but it was prior to 1st October when it was scheduled to start (with the free 20 SMS-es).

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:47 am

atmint wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have now completed adding the various functions and capabilities that have been suggested by the customers who participated in the original discussion thread.

What about consideration for the growing MAC community? It seems we are often forgotten or neglected, however, we are a growing segment.
But Mac comes with all the software you want.
.. At least the marketing says so.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 am

Macko wrote:I have already tried the SMS service and it works great. Ideal for me as I have no mobile phone.

Only one question: according to a notification I've received on 17th September, it stated: "You can send 20 free SMS messages from your broadband service at no charge each month; after 20 the charge is 5 cents per message". Thereafter there was no mention of the first 20 being free. Is that still applicable?

I did pay 5c per SMS when I used it but it was prior to 1st October when it was scheduled to start (with the free 20 SMS-es).
The User Facilities SMS usage page now displays the status of your free SMS.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 am

atmint wrote:

There was no intention to neglect mac users; over 7,000 Exetel users have macs.

please email:

williamm@exetel.com.au

with the details of what you require.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macko

Post by Macko » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:58 am

The User Facilities SMS usage page now displays the status of your free SMS.
Many thanks. I'm warming to you guyz by the minute :D

Dphillips

Post by Dphillips » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 am

Is there support for linux? I can't seem to get it to work with Wine.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:59 am

Hi,

Reason for that being exeSMS uses a secure DLL which Wine unfortunately cannot detect.

sdtoy

Post by sdtoy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:03 am

I can't seem to get it to work with Wine.
** TRY BEER! ** :D

ajay987

Email to SMS

Post by ajay987 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:03 pm

I am currently using Redcoal SMS gateway with my application and have just tried the Exetel email to sms functionality and it works OK.
A big issue for me is the SMS sent includes the header:
From: <emailaddress> Subject: <password> Message: <truncated message>
Can we have the option to not send this header? Seems like a major security flaw sending out the account password as part of the message plus it takes up valuable 160 char message space. With Redcoal I only get the contents of the message I sent.

Regards
Adam

Affinity

Re: Email to SMS

Post by Affinity » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:11 pm

ajay987 wrote:Can we have the option to not send this header? Seems like a major security flaw sending out the account password as part of the message plus it takes up valuable 160 char message space. With Redcoal I only get the contents of the message I sent.
That is odd, I just tested with my mobile using 614nnnnnnnn@sms.exemail.com.au and it didn't send the header, it just send the email body as the text in the SMS.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:12 pm

If your receiving an Email to SMS message in the form of "From: <emailaddress> Subject: <password> Message: <truncated message>"
you don't need to supply any password as you have registered to receive email2sms messages to your mobile number from any email address.
The "From" field is necessary to identify which it is from.

If you do supply a password and are using the "Registered Email 2 SMS" feature then only the message will be displayed.

ajay987

More Registered Email to SMS

Post by ajay987 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:45 pm

My mistake I did register an e-mail address but was sending the SMS via a different mail account. Works fine now.

On a different note:
Redcoal sends an e-mail to the sender notifying whether the SMS was delivered to the carrier successfully or not. Is this possible?

If I send an SMS reply from my mobile to the SMS sent via Redcoal it is sent via e-mail back to the sender e-mail not the sender's registered mobile phone #. This is very useful for managing email based CRM.
Is this possible?

Regards
Adam