OH, NO! ANOTHER ADSL 2 SPEED THREAD!

Old, inactive threads
DaXiuyi

Post by DaXiuyi » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry to have hijacked your thread damo :oops:

Will log a fault and see what happens with my speed problem...

damo65

Post by damo65 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 am

After the service being "OK" for most of Saturday it dropped back into "Not OK" mode in the evening. Speeds back to around 1Mb and occasionally <150k.
Sunday was generally "OK", but, likewise, dropping back down to 1Mb and occasionally <100k in the evening.

My modem is a Netcomm NB6Plus4W, and I have seen other threads and other forums mentioning some past issues between Netcomm modems and Optusnet. And yes, the firmware is up to date.
I do have two other modems (unfortunately both Netcomm) which I could try if you think it'll help.

I have found resetting the modem sometimes, but not always, helps.
I have also found, bizarrely, picking up the 'phone, sometimes, but not always, helps! NB, there is increasing noise on the 'phone line. Not as bad as it has been, but worse than it was after I installed the latest in-line filter. (C10245M) Some crackling, intermittently.

Gilbert
Exetel Staff

Post by Gilbert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 am

can you please post your speed test result?

Please try to download it from the sites below.

microsoft.com
apple.com

damo65

Post by damo65 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*22/10/2007*] @ [*05:13 PM*]

Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*600 KB*]
Test Time: [*3.95 secs*]

Your line speed is [*1.24 Mbps*] (1235 kbps).
Your download speed is [*154 KB/s*] (0.15 MB/s). )]

How do I do the "download a file" from microsoft etc test?

I downloaded a pdf from nvidia at about 256kb/s, but I don't have any record of the download.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Go to the Apple and Microsoft sites, and go to their respective file libraries. Pick anything and try downloading it to see what speed you get. Accurate results are obtained with files of at least 10mb, anything else and it's just too fast - but be careful, don't go too much bigger or you'll blow your quota if you're not careful.

damo65

Post by damo65 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 pm

I thought this had been fixed last night. Someone from Exetel 'phoned and said they'd done "something" at their end and the line speed jumped to nearly 3Mb! I was rapt! Paranoid me got out of bed at midnight to check and it was still the same. Yay!
I awoke this morning and it was back to <200k. How ripped off did I feel?!
I'm pretty sure it's my crappy line. Even though the graph below suggests that even with 55dB attenuation I should still be getting 4Mb.
http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm
(NB, I'm not suggesting this means I MUST therefore deserve 4Mb. But I did get it with ADSL 1, and that ties in with the graph.)
I've reset/rebooted everything I can, put the modem into g.dmt mode and am currently @ 2048/704 (according to my modem Status page, although Speedtest says I'm well under 1Mb).

bigteez

Post by bigteez » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Not sure if anyone can beat this, but i think this is pretty shocking..

Test run on [*23/10/2007*] @ [*07:17 PM*]

Mirror: [*OptusNet*]
Data: [*9 MB*]
Test Time: [*571.49 secs*]

Your line speed is [*132 kbps*] (0.13 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*17 KB/s*] (0.02 MB/s). )]

And yes im on the Blacktown Exchange. Think i saw somewhere saying the problem will be rectified by end on October.

Lets hope so

damo65

Post by damo65 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:41 pm

[Takes large bite of humble pie.]

Turns out it was a line fault! I'm getting >4Mb now and, touch wood, problem solved.

I sincerely apologize to anyone at Exetel I may have insulted/blamed/bad-mouthed/pissed off over the past week.

Final irony. Optus telephone line fault, fixed by a Telstra engineer! (And yes, I know it's technically a Telstra line, but Optus've at least pretended in the past!)

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks for your honestly Damo.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Taile

Post by Taile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Please fix this issue, im having major downtime during the evening , i live in Sydney. This is ridiculous, as im paying for 24mbits and i cant have a stable connection, im also paying $3 for each extra gigs when i waste my time re-downloading the same things a couple of times, due to my net cutting off... i think its fair atleast i have a STABLE but slow net, i can barely play online games without framing... (as you know they are relatively low consuming, download rate wise.) please FIX!

Sutharsan

Post by Sutharsan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:36 am

Exetel keeping silent and blaming optus and other carriers.Why they cann't fix those problem? can you guys put some pressure on these guys or......
Paying for ADSL2+ and getting like dialup connection. what is this?
But support team tells different story to customers
one will say km problem
another one say change the modulation,
reset your modem,
test your connection....so on.
put the energy on carriers to solve this speed problem because everybody spending money for it

another test

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Sutharsan wrote:Exetel keeping silent and blaming optus and other carriers.Why they cann't fix those problem?
Because Exetel do not own the equipment located in Optus's exchanges. Granted, an explanation would be helpful, but keep in mind that Exetel are not blaming Optus for these problems. Many customers are assuming it is an Optus related issue. Exetel only cite Optus exchange related outages after they have been confirmed by appropriate diagnostics.
Sutharsan wrote:But support team tells different story to customers
one will say km problem
another one say change the modulation,
reset your modem,
test your connection....so on.
These tests, while mundane and possibly seeming random, have a tremendous scope for identifying speed based issues. For example, damo65's speed issues in this thread, while they seem to be related to the widespread, dial-up speed issues many NSW Optus customers are having, were resolved by an ordinary line fault after performing the necessary tests.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:52 am

The original poster's problem was resolved (a line fault).

Others who jumped on his thread with their own issue, please use this thread instead for updates
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=23283

This thread closed.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal