P2P breaking ISPs mailout

Old, inactive threads
Post Reply
Valglin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:44 pm

P2P breaking ISPs mailout

Post by Valglin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 am

OK, i like that Exetel are honest about the de-prioritising of "P2P" traffic, and i'm not complaining about that.

But this mailout, the content is, um, comedy?

Surely, saying "P2P" traffic is breaking ISPs is more misleading than saying copyright breach costs the total value of all unlicensed copies?
It's more like saying people drinking too much beer are breaking the bottleshops.

I can see why the bottleshops would say that. people drinking too much is likely to bring holier-than-though retribution from govts and tax increases and such. So it's political. The bottleshops publicly complain about it, instead of publicly cheering all the way to the bank.

So, for honesty, i would say, "P2P" is making ISPs. Making them very rich. Demand for data is up and growing. Of course the content of much of the data is about as politically popular as public drunkeness.

On top of that, i always find the "P2P" name odd. What percent of traffic on the internet is broadcast? One could say P2P is an ISPs entire business.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: P2P breaking ISPs mailout

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:30 am

Valglin wrote:OK, i like that Exetel are honest about the de-prioritising of "P2P" traffic, and i'm not complaining about that.

But this mailout, the content is, um, comedy?

Surely, saying "P2P" traffic is breaking ISPs is more misleading than saying copyright breach costs the total value of all unlicensed copies?
It's more like saying people drinking too much beer are breaking the bottleshops.

I can see why the bottleshops would say that. people drinking too much is likely to bring holier-than-though retribution from govts and tax increases and such. So it's political. The bottleshops publicly complain about it, instead of publicly cheering all the way to the bank.

So, for honesty, i would say, "P2P" is making ISPs. Making them very rich. Demand for data is up and growing. Of course the content of much of the data is about as politically popular as public drunkeness.

On top of that, i always find the "P2P" name odd. What percent of traffic on the internet is broadcast? One could say P2P is an ISPs entire business.
If you read the referenced article, in a well respected journal, and had skimmed some of the hundreds of previous articles on the same subject, it would be hard for you to reach the conclusion that there is anything 'comic' about the effect that P2P usage has on the world wide fabric used to deliver "internet".

However it's good to hear that you were amused for the minute or so that you would have spent reading the email.

Laughter is a very valuable part of human life and the sources of laughter seem less frequent than they once were.

Munka
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Rural NSW

Re: P2P breaking ISPs mailout

Post by Munka » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 am

Valglin wrote: So, for honesty, i would say, "P2P" is making ISPs. Making them very rich. Demand for data is up and growing. Of course the content of much of the data is about as politically popular as public drunkeness.
Though I don't pretend to understand how an ISP operates.

I think you miss the point, ISP's everywhere provision well below what a individual user has payed for, and put in simplistic terms, there in resides some of their margin, and if a large proportion of users start consuming (which they are, increasingly) bandwidth proportionate with the plan they pay for, I think ISP's stand to lose.

As I said I wouldn't presume that because users are consuming more bandwidth, that any one is making more money, possibly the opposite.

The situation as it stands requires a new approach and I applaud Exetel for it's creative thinking and new directions, and watch with interest as the future unfolds.
Munka

Valglin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: P2P breaking ISPs mailout

Post by Valglin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: If you read the referenced article, in a well respected journal, and had skimmed some of the hundreds of previous articles on the same subject, it would be hard for you to reach the conclusion that there is anything 'comic' about the effect that P2P usage has on the world wide fabric used to deliver "internet".
Oh yes, i'm sure "P2P" is having a huge effect. I don't dispute it. I'm sure a large proportion of Exetel's income is people paying for P2P bandwidth. Nothing funny about rolling in money.
What's funny is ISPs complaining about it. Such a big problem, like, too many people are buying beer, where shall they all queue?
However it's good to hear that you were amused for the minute or so that you would have spent reading the email.
Now i'm also amused by your implication that i didn't spend much time thinking about it ;p
Laughter is a very valuable part of human life and the sources of laughter seem less frequent than they once were.
Indeed, and i thank you.
I find marketing and it's strategies a great source of readily available laughs, you just have to get past the whole world going to hell dark humour nature of it.
Munka wrote: I think you miss the point, ISP's everywhere provision well below what a individual user has payed for, and
Yes, absolutely! i did miss that point.
It was a big part of the humour too.
The "P2P is bad" story works wonders when trying to explain selling more than you can supply. ISPs are lucky to have it.

Other than it's value as an excuse it still has nothing to do with "P2P" though. ISPs were selling more than they could supply before anyone even heard of bittorrent. The Australian Wheat Board got into a lot of trouble for it last year. Bait and switch is a way to achieve the same for a product people don't buy in advance.

Post Reply