No ring on incoming calls

Old, inactive threads
pjb42

No ring on incoming calls

Post by pjb42 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Hello,

We just changed over from Primus to Exetel/Optus yesterday on the Opt E plan. Setting up the Router / network here was no problem and we were happily surfing away! :D BTW, thanks to Exetel for the quick and smooth changeover. :)

However, we have one problem. The phone des not ring on incoming calls. We have tried 3 different phones, with & without the ADSL2 filter/splitter on two phone points we have here, and when someone phones us, the phone does not ring. We can call out with no problems. I have tried 2 filter/splitters, a C10 C10245M and an older Netcomm.

Any ideas? :)

If any further info is needed, let me know (of course!) If an Exetel tech wants our acc't details, tell me where to mail them. :)

Cheers!

richardk

Post by richardk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi,

What happens when you ring into the number is it engaged or does it ring out?
Does a number display on say your mobile when you make a call?

If it doesn't display please dial this number 12722123 and 1272312 . This number should repeat your telephone number if it's a listed number and from this we can tell if it's connected to a different telephone number.

Once you have the answers to these questions you should email telephonesupport@exetel.com.au.

Thank You

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks richardk,

I'll test again tomorrow and post my findings here. :)

Cheers!

EDIT: Ehhh... poop! LOL It seems to be fixed now. *shrug* I tested it earlier today, and the phone still wasn't ringing. Just tried it, and it works now (we were out for the Cup).

Wish all my problems were that easily fixed! Sorry about that, but thanks. :)

Cheers!

Knight-no-7

Post by Knight-no-7 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:46 pm

i remember reading on the sign up form that incomming calls may not get through for up to 2days while its being switched over. maby that was the problem.
[N3tFr33k]

richardk

Post by richardk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 am

Hi,

The incoming calls should really be working from when Telstra connect the cables to Optus equipment. Before there was a delay but now it should work straight away.
Of course it could of been a delay at Optus with an activity not being fully completed.

Thank You

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I guess we'll never know for sure what it was. :)

Everything is working fine now, and I'm happy! Even though I only have an ADSL1 Router for now, It's connected at 8064/800 Kbps which is just fine for now. :) I'm using a BT Voyager 2100 that we got in the UK for free with a notebook we got when ours was stolen. I didn't think it would work here, but our Netcomm died a couple months ago (the 2nd one! I'll never get a Netcomm again!). It was easy to configure with Primus, and now Exetel. And it's wireless strength is pretty good! I get 54mbps right to the back fence or front fence! :D

I'm trying to decide which of two ADSL2+ WiFi routers to get. A Billion BiPAC 7300G and a Netgear RangeMax DG834PN. I'm leaning towards the Billion, as it seems the most stable and reliable (reading reviews and user forums) And I don't need the extra range of the Netgear for the notebooks.

Thanks again everyone! I think I'll like it here. Hope I can contribute. :)

Cheers!

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Welcome aboard!

For what it's worth, I'm on an ADSL1 8MB connection, and have used a Netgear DG834G (v1) for a couple of years, and it hasn't missed a beat - current uptime is heading for around 1000 hours since I last rebooted it.

I don't use the wireless side of it (did initially, but no longer have a requirement), but I've always used Netgear network stuff, and never had a problem.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Klaas wrote:Welcome aboard!

For what it's worth, I'm on an ADSL1 8MB connection, and have used a Netgear DG834G (v1) for a couple of years, and it hasn't missed a beat - current uptime is heading for around 1000 hours since I last rebooted it.

I don't use the wireless side of it (did initially, but no longer have a requirement), but I've always used Netgear network stuff, and never had a problem.
Ive still got a Netgear DG814 that was working sweet on an 8192 connection until it was replaced by a Cisco router. IMO Netgear make a very good product.

Also, Ive got one of the DG834Gv1 running at the moment as an access point only.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Thanks for the info CLoSer & Klass! :) I was leaning towards the Netgear after speaking with a friend that has one. :)

Well... on my phone line front! It seems I do have a wierd problem!

3 people have said today they tried to phone and they got a message saying somthing like "This number is not connected, please check the number and try again..." I tried the 1272312 Optus test number, and it did return the correct number for that line! And I can call on my Optus mobile and it rings! So I am damned if I know!

I'll send an email with our details. :)

I knew it seemed too easy! ;) LOL

Cheers and thanks all! :)

richardk

Post by richardk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 am

Hello,

I know what that problem is it's a Telstra porting problem that needs to be fixed by Optus.
If you PM me your telephone number I'll investigate and send it off to Optus for you.

Thank You

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Thanks Richard, :)

PM sent. I also sent an email last night to the Exetel support address you provided above.

Have a good day. Cheers!

richardk

Post by richardk » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Hello,

The problem should be solved please let us know if you have any further problems.

Thank You

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:59 pm

Thanks for your help Richard and Exetel! :)

Phone seems to be working properly now. I had several calls today, including telemarketers! I almost wish it wasn't working again! LOL

I'm quite pleased in fact. I managed to tweak my old PC & ADSL1 Router to get some decent speeds:
Test run on 09/11/2007 @ 02:34 PM
Mirror: OptusNet
Data: 15 MB
Test Time: 20.05 secs

Your line speed is 6.25 Mbps (6251 kbps).
Your download speed is 781 KB/s (0.76 MB/s).
Will be interesting to see what happens when the dedicated line point from the junction is installed (using a long phone extension lead for now that will surely impact performance) and I get a decent ADSL2+ Router. :)

Once again, thanks!
Cheers,
Paul.

richardk

Post by richardk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:44 am

Hi,

Good to hear that your phone is working again.
You might want to register your service on the do not call register.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

That may help with telemarketers calling in. Since registering I have had no telemarketing calls apart from charities.

Thank You

pjb42

Post by pjb42 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks for that Richard! :D

I forgot about that register. :) We've had at least 6 telemarketing calls the past 2 weeks. I usually say something like "I Have to go wash the cat! Bye." and hang up. LOL

Thanks again! Cheers.
Paul.