Speed slowed

Old, inactive threads
Hen

Speed slowed

Post by Hen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Since yesterday, 11/11, i have been experincing sub dialup speeds on my 512/128 connection. It did not resolve itself this morning as i thought i may with the changes that exetel made this morning.
I have done as the faqs and guides here say, to no avail. from my experince all settings are right but i could be mistaken so anything basic you might think i missed could be useful, that way we can at least have a checklist
my dl speed from ozspeedtest was between 3-9kb over 15 attempts a far cry from 52kb normally...it could also be observed watching youtube videos as now they can not even come close to steaming have to pause and wait.

Any help would be appreciated, even if just to eliminate a potential problem either between us or from exetel itself. i will keep checking on myside while i wait.

Thank you for your time

Martin V

Post by Martin V » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Could you please isolate the line and then re run the ozspeedtest, please do this 3 times.

Hen

isolation

Post by Hen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:34 pm

I have turned off the modem for a period of 10 minutes. the line is also now free of external sources including phone/splitters and filters
Test 1 - 18kb with 143 kbps line speed
Test 2 - 2kb with 20 kbps
Test 3 - 4kb with 33 kbps
Test 4 - 3kb with 27 kbps

Not sure what caused the spike first but it didnt seem normal so i ran 4 test

in regards to virus scanners they were automatically updated 2 days ago(unlikely to be cause of slowdown either as definintion files were 200kbs)
modem is a billion 5100s

I have now waited a second 10 min period while the modem was off and unplugged. connection seems active with splitter/phone and filters back in place
Test 1 - 8kb with 62 kbps
Test 2 - 9kb with 71 kbps
Test 3 - 3kb with 25 kbps
Test 4 - 2kb with 12 kbps
Test 5 - 7kb with 53 kbps
Test 6 - 3kb with 28 kbps
Test 7 - would not load 2/3 times bu the last time gave 12kb with 100 kbs, most likely predownloaded data

In hindsight it could be a background virus limiting the net? is such thing possible i have alreayd run a scan with AVG and spybot prior to posting. The reason i think so is from getting better results right away due to it not being activated immediatly, then from that point it will slow it down...i have done a extra few test while i was typing this 5-7 seem to prove this wrong somewhat

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 pm

please pm me the service number and a link to this forum for me to investigate further
-David

Munka

Post by Munka » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:00 pm

If you have a suspicion that there is a virus causing the slowdown, perhaps you could restart your PC in safe mode (usually hold down F8 as the the PC boot's), and run speed tests from there, also do you run virus/spybot scans in safe mode?
On my windows machine I run scans 2 or 3 times a week, and a weekly scan in safe mode.
Munka

Hen

~

Post by Hen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:17 pm

PM sent
No i do not normally run scanners in safe mode unless working to get rid of one. I tried speedtest in safe mode in anycase and it did not seem to be any faster. Just strange whats happening, havent had it before...on the same day infact i was downloading a mod for a game at full speed off moddb.com later on during that day(i was using the comp the whole time gaming offline)i went on to youtube and it was going slow, thinking nothing off it i went to work, thast night and intill right now still it is sub-dial up speed in most cases on the speed test

Diabolic

Post by Diabolic » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:38 pm

I seem to be suffering a very similar problem since Sunday. I'm on a 521/128 plan and downloads speeds have dropped.
Test run on 12/11/2007 @ 04:36 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 70 KB
Test Time: 43.41 secs

Your line speed is 13 kbps (0.01 Mbps).
Your download speed is 2 KB/s (0 MB/s).

Got similar results 4 times

Hen

~

Post by Hen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:55 pm

not good to hear, well it is sort of. It might mean something they can do frmo there side as right now i am stuck on my side of things.
I have heard of another case of similar outage since yesterday, but on the dodo side of things, might still be on our pipe but you would think more people would of posted about it if it was effecting alot of us...Hopefully it gets cleared up soon as its my days off work.

cobra_bal

Post by cobra_bal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 pm

OZ Speetest 4KB/s? What is the issue that a majority of ppl are having with speeds since sunday? Can the Exetel Admins please answer this? When will this be corrected?

gregor

Post by gregor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 pm

cobra_bal wrote:OZ Speetest 4KB/s? What is the issue that a majority of ppl are having with speeds since sunday? Can the Exetel Admins please answer this? When will this be corrected?
The only answer I got was that the problem was suppose to be fixed by 8:30pm.

Oh well... I am stuck with Exetel now for the next 6 months... :x

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:27 am

gregor wrote:
cobra_bal wrote:OZ Speetest 4KB/s? What is the issue that a majority of ppl are having with speeds since sunday? Can the Exetel Admins please answer this? When will this be corrected?
The only answer I got was that the problem was suppose to be fixed by 8:30pm.

Oh well... I am stuck with Exetel now for the next 6 months... :x
Not a very good attitude to have, considering your issue is now resolved.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Diabolic

Post by Diabolic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:25 am

yep back to full speed. appreciated :wink:

Hen

~

Post by Hen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:23 am

Yes much thanks to the people of exetel for there rather quick fix of what must of been quite a large problem/area.
In my time with them i have found them to be a great company with a great deal...this was my first experince of a long outage since i signed on a year+ ago, Cobra if you get past this unfortunate event i am sure you will see how good exetel is compared to other ISP

Much appreciation, now its time to catch up on a few days

MRisos

Post by MRisos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:29 am

I am getting slow speeds in off peak its completely unusable..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/203272913.png

NSW - 40.8gb downloaded

Mortq

Same here MRisos

Post by Mortq » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 am

Similar results since last night here in Qld MRisos - Ozspeedtest on isolated, rebooted line this morning is giving around 40-50kb/sec on repeated tests, and overseas test sites around the same (I usually get a very respectable 500+k).
Anyone know what is going on?