Payment Via American Express

Old, inactive threads

Would You Prefer To Pay By AMEX If Exetel Gave This Option?

Yes - I currently use Visa/Mastercard
22%
Yes- I currently use direct debit
15%
Yes - I'm currently not an Exetel customer
1%
No - I don't have an AMEX card
55%
No - I have an AMEX card but wouldn't use it
8%

Total votes: 446

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm

I voted no,i dont have one,although i pay by debit card,i dont agree with the $1.00 charge for this because its the same as a direct debit which Exetel charge no fee for????..Hmmm
*While we are on the subject of card payments,any chance Exetel can introduce payment in advance service?
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

snomann

Post by snomann » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:08 pm

I tend to agree with the two quotes below, our business where possible runs on AMEX.
drnick_ wrote:id prefer AMEX, as i get more frequent flyer points that way :) thanks
True that we have a card that awards us 3 points per dollar spent and we pay on time - every time so the benefits out weigh the small charge that service providers add to AMEX transactions - normally 1.5 to 3 %
siqbal wrote:Yes please. This will make life much easier for people like me who get ADSL cost reimbursed. Almost all large companies use AMEX as their corporate card.
We would happily change payments to our AMEX over our current VISA payment method.

-SNO- :twisted:

SL200

Post by SL200 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:21 pm

sh0nky wrote:I voted no,i dont have one,although i pay by debit card,i dont agree with the $1.00 charge for this because its the same as a direct debit which Exetel charge no fee for????..
You don't approve of the credit card charge? Speak to your bank then. The credit card fees are charged by the banks, not Exetel. Like many other retail outlets these days Exetel just passes it on so those that pay by other methods don't have to subsidise those who pay by credit card.

As for AMEX, it is beyond me how they still manage to hang around in Aust given the higher merchant fees they charge and the consequent lower level of acceptability in retail establishments.

Unless Exetel manages to get an agreement with AMEX for lower merchant fees, they will have to pass on to customers a higher credit card fee than is applicable for other credit cards. From the various comments in this thread it seems that those who have a corporate AMEX won't care about this extra charge, but those with personal cards won't want to pay the higher fees.

Shutty

Post by Shutty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 pm

I''l tell you what I want - what I really really what...

Besides a ziggyzigaaaaahh - no CC fees!

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

SL200 wrote:
sh0nky wrote:I voted no,i dont have one,although i pay by debit card,i dont agree with the $1.00 charge for this because its the same as a direct debit which Exetel charge no fee for????..
You don't approve of the credit card charge? Speak to your bank then. The credit card fees are charged by the banks, not Exetel. Like many other retail outlets these days Exetel just passes it on so those that pay by other methods don't have to subsidise those who pay by credit card.

As for AMEX, it is beyond me how they still manage to hang around in Aust given the higher merchant fees they charge and the consequent lower level of acceptability in retail establishments.

Unless Exetel manages to get an agreement with AMEX for lower merchant fees, they will have to pass on to customers a higher credit card fee than is applicable for other credit cards. From the various comments in this thread it seems that those who have a corporate AMEX won't care about this extra charge, but those with personal cards won't want to pay the higher fees.
I would agree with you,but Credit is not Debit :)
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

trev

Post by trev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 pm

I used to use my Amex card until the facility was withdrawn; I'd prefer to be able to use it again instead of Mastercard.

I get no benefit (ie no rewards/flyer points etc) other than (1) a customised report of my charges for the full tax year which saves a lot of time when doing my tax return; (2) far better customer service (worldwide) than I've ever had from any bank.

(Despite various negative comments about Amex fees, when I was overseas a few weeks ago it was significantly cheaper for me to use Amex in Europe/USA than Mastercard and Amex was accepted everywhere I stayed/dined/purchased.)

terryc

Post by terryc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Is it just me, or is this a badly designed poll.

Do the two YES options mean that you currently pay by some other mrthod but would switch to paying byAmex if offered?

Also, will amex users pay more or are the rest of use going to subsidize them?

The last time I considered Amex as a merchant, Amex gouged 3x the percentage that the other plastics did.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 pm

sh0nky wrote:I voted no,i dont have one,although i pay by debit card,i dont agree with the $1.00 charge for this because its the same as a direct debit which Exetel charge no fee for????..Hmmm
*While we are on the subject of card payments,any chance Exetel can introduce payment in advance service?
A debit card and direct debit are not the same.

With direct debit, Exetel are authorised to take the money directly from your bank account - no third party is involved.

With a debit card, Exetel charge a third party (the card issuer), who then debit your bank account. The third party charges Exetel a fee for doing this.

Most debit cards are managed by credit card companies. My debit card, on my St George bank account, is managed by Visa (even has a Visa logo on it), so any transactions, the merchant gets charged the Visa fee.

amex payments

Post by 0298723874 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:18 pm

I've canceled my amex

ajc1

Using AMEX

Post by ajc1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Would not use AMEX

picquic

Yes to AMEX

Post by picquic » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Currently direct debit...

Vidamus

Post by Vidamus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:52 pm

I have an AMEX card and would use it to get the Qantas frequent flyer points, but only if there was no additional charge.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Do not have AMEX.

moriac

Post by moriac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:00 pm

i had amex for years more vendors refused it re the higher charges so i dumped it ten years later i got a bill for almost $1000 for car rental donw to the name of mr economedes who had somehow reactivated the card i last had active ten years earlier. when i rote to amex asking how this could happen to a cancelled account they sent me a curt reply saying they would waive my payment in this case . i wrote again twice asking how this breach of security could occur and never got a reply i reccomend you don't deal with the rude bastards

ajboswell

Post by ajboswell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Yes - if not penalised by service fee