Payment Via American Express

Old, inactive threads

Would You Prefer To Pay By AMEX If Exetel Gave This Option?

Yes - I currently use Visa/Mastercard
22%
Yes- I currently use direct debit
15%
Yes - I'm currently not an Exetel customer
1%
No - I don't have an AMEX card
55%
No - I have an AMEX card but wouldn't use it
8%

Total votes: 446

kaarenj

Post by kaarenj » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 pm

no, i don't have an amex card

Grahel

Post by Grahel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 pm

I vote No. I do not have an Amex Card

yogi183

Post by yogi183 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Yes, i'd much prefer amex

daza

Post by daza » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:00 pm

We dislike AMEX a lot at work, lots of problems with fraud, AMEX don't pay vendors for approximately a month, and of course very high service charges. I do not have an AMEX card and would therefore would not use it.

AMEX is not too bad for consumers but I don't like what they do to retailers. My two cents.

rithmman

Post by rithmman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:01 pm

trev wrote:I used to use my Amex card until the facility was withdrawn; I'd prefer to be able to use it again instead of Mastercard.

I get no benefit (ie no rewards/flyer points etc) other than (1) a customised report of my charges for the full tax year which saves a lot of time when doing my tax return; (2) far better customer service (worldwide) than I've ever had from any bank.

(Despite various negative comments about Amex fees, when I was overseas a few weeks ago it was significantly cheaper for me to use Amex in Europe/USA than Mastercard and Amex was accepted everywhere I stayed/dined/purchased.)
The point is not what fees we get charged by our credit provider - it is the fees that Exetel get charged that is the difference. The merchant pays to accept credit cards and in the end we foot the bill (regardless of whether Exetel "absorb" the cost or not). With Visa and Mastercard, these fees are typically much smaller than with AMEX or Diners. If they get passed on to AMEX users directly, no probs. I pay a bit extra to pay by credit card (even though it is Visa) and don't have a problem.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 am

I don't use credit cards where there is a fee charged. I understand AND SUPPORT the use of fees (why should cash or direct debit customers sbsidise other's frequent flyers points!) however the fees usually outweigh the points value.

For those that use them - good luck to you. However I prefer to bank smart and not pay bank fees whenever possible, so internet banking / bpay and direct debit are my preferred payment methods.

Thank you exetel for the options to choose - remember some poviders only offer one payment method.

Has exetel thought of accepting OnceOnline, as it would be nice to be able to get ALL my household bills in a single monthly payment.

neonexus

Post by neonexus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 am

I would prefer Amex - no credit limit on the gold card, so no chance of having a service problem due to payment issues (forgetting that the MasterCard is maxed out again!)

As others have stated it is also good for the rewards points & the reporting features at tax time.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:14 am

James wrote:
21st100 wrote:how about PAYPAL...
It is a very convenient method of payment for people who are unable to access a credit card...
Paypal is not suitable for automated monthly transactions.

Plus the merchant fees are higher than amex! https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... ew-outside
James,
I haven't tried the US site you've quoted but their AU version has recurring or subscription invoices where the supplier gets to choose the period.

You'll need a PayPal account to log in here but it shows the details.

The fees are still a bit high though. 1.1% + $0.30 AUD to 2.4% + $0.30 AUD. Exetel would be in the 1.1% bracket in no time. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

QPR_FC

Yes to AMEX

Post by QPR_FC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:35 am

You will find that a lot of company credit cards are AMEX, there are numerous reasons for this. I selected AMEX for my company as they do not require a deposit, unlike other major players in the market.
Anyway, I won't go on....yes to AMEX.

triassicpark1

yes

Post by triassicpark1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:00 am

I would like to use AMEX. I do have one. If Exetel is going to charge any amount I would like to stick to my direct debit.

2Bsure

Re: Payment Via American Express

Post by 2Bsure » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:01 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel ceased offering payment via American Express in early 2005. Since then we have reviewed that decision each year. There is a possibility that we could again offer this facility if enough people are interested, and providing we can get a realistic service charge.

To assist us in making this decision would you please indicate whether you would prefer to use American Express rather than your current payment option.
Makes NO difference to me, I do not have and American Express Card.

:)

nstbl

Post by nstbl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:00 am

Yes I used Amex previously for Exetel and would use it again if the service charge is comparable with VISA.

gilobs

Post by gilobs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:50 am

I gave up my Amex as it got too expensive, less people let you use it and the time got shorter to make repayments with fees increasing.

I'm happy with Visa or Direct Debit but others should be able to use Amex with the extra charge being paid by them.

MichaelL

Post by MichaelL » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:06 am

No, don't have one, wouldn't use it.

Ian Norman

Post by Ian Norman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 am

Anyone who has an Amex Card has a Visa or Mastercard - or should I say the chance that an Amex owner doesn't have another type of CC would be very rare indeed.

Accepting Amex is not an advantage to any company.