Payment Via American Express

Old, inactive threads

Would You Prefer To Pay By AMEX If Exetel Gave This Option?

Yes - I currently use Visa/Mastercard
22%
Yes- I currently use direct debit
15%
Yes - I'm currently not an Exetel customer
1%
No - I don't have an AMEX card
55%
No - I have an AMEX card but wouldn't use it
8%

Total votes: 446

kathanas

Post by kathanas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm

No, I don't use Amex.

paulb

Pound of flesh

Post by paulb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Various things have been said here.

I dropped Amex as a merchant many years ago as the service fee (the percentage the merchant loses on the transaction) was double that for all other cards. Note: I said double (someone else said treble). Most other (and particularly smaller) merchants have the same approach for the same reason, which is why Amex is by no means universally accepted, which is in turn why few people actually have an Amex card.

It is the merchant that pays for all those "frequent flyer" and bonus deals - as well as all the advertising. So, if the merchant is actually happy to take Amex, that means they are making buckets of money from you, the customer. Alternatively, as it is now legal (it used to be a condition of the contract that the merchant did not), the merchant can put a surcharge on credit card deals and that is of course, going to be higher for Amex than all the others (except perhaps DC).

There is certainly no "free lunch". I'll pay by credit card if the merchant accepts it graciously - including all large organisations (which force a lower rate from the credit card companies anyway) and even those in whom I have shares (and why would I not?). If I feel the merchant is more of a "battler", then I will choose to pay cash. If he (like the really discount petrol stations) charges a surcharge, I'll probably pay cash or EFTPOS (though for EFTPOS it may be myself who is paying the transaction fee and it complicates my accounting).

Of course there is the same surcharge for a "debit" card as for a "credit" card, because in both cases the merchant pays the transaction fee.

Now, it is dubious that "3 points per dollar ... benefits outweigh the small charge that service providers add to AMEX transactions - normally 1.5 to 3%", but if it is, what does that mean? There is certainly no "free lunch" but yes, the credit card companies do anticipate most of their profit from people who incur their huge interest charges. Paying before incurring interest is clearly the only way to make any actual benefit from them.

In summary, while I presently pay the surcharge for a card, I personally would not wish to see Amex offered unless the surcharge corresponded to the merchant fee - a fair playing field for all players.

tadeck

Post by tadeck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:01 pm

Yes, I would welcome the Amex card option instead of direct debit. It would stop greedy old Westpac from charging yet another withdrawal fee!
I also get frequent flyer points. So please do it (unless it were to cost me more than the debit charge by Westpac).

sanbonani

Amex

Post by sanbonani » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 pm

Yes to Amex without increased surcharges.

mzmo

Re: Amex

Post by mzmo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 am

sanbonani wrote:Yes to Amex without increased surcharges.
ditto

smack

AMex payments

Post by smack » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:42 am

Will pay Amex - without increased surcharges.

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:53 am

One thing has been made clear..Amex card holders want to pay via Amex but dont want to incur the extra charge,and non Amex card holders dont want to incur any extra cost involved if Exetel make Amex payments available....Just my observation.If Exetel decide to go with Amex again,i guess the only happy medium would be for Exetel to absorb the cost themselves.Amex are great for consumers but a pain for merchants.
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

khogan01

Amex Acceptance

Post by khogan01 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 pm

I definitely want to pay by Amex - I was not going to renew because I am sick of merchants being greedy and telling me how I should pay so that its better for them. I am the consumer - I want my frequent flyer points and the added security/benefits of Amex. I want to pay with the card of my choice without penalty - why wouldnt a business respect that.

SL200

Re: Amex Acceptance

Post by SL200 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 pm

khogan01 wrote:I definitely want to pay by Amex - I was not going to renew because I am sick of merchants being greedy and telling me how I should pay so that its better for them.
If you care to read the other comments in this thread it is not merchants being greedy, it is AMEX being greedy by charging merchants higher fees than Visa/Mastercard.
khogan01 wrote:I am the consumer - I want my frequent flyer points and the added security/benefits of Amex.
You seem to want everything but don't want to pay a cent for it. By the way, what security/benefits do AMEX offer that other major cards don't these days? It is true that AMEX used to have extra benefits over other cards, but my gold Mastercard offers me everything that AMEX used to offer me before I turfed my AMEX cards.
khogan01 wrote:why wouldnt a business respect that.
Businesses do respect that when they are dealing with credit card issuers who play fairly. i.e. only with very minor exceptions do you see a business offering to accept Visa or Mastercard only while rejecting the other. Visa and MC treat merchants on similar terms so merchants are happy to accept either card. With AMEX charging a merchant double (or even triple if you are a low-volume AMEX merchant) it is only natural to see why merchants baulk at accepting AMEX, especially in companies like Exetel where profit margins are not high and these extra merchant charges can severely eat into profit.

hibijibis

Post by hibijibis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:11 pm

i dont have amex. actually i would prefer diners club. thank you

brett0

Post by brett0 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:38 pm

I prefer to use amex where possible but it depends on the fees charged.Direct debit is more convenient at the moment , the small amount of frequent fliers for a small bill each month isn`t worth it.

tilleys

Post by tilleys » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 pm

yes - would be interested in paying with Amex card.

BelleCamp

'Yes Please' to Amex Payments

Post by BelleCamp » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:56 pm

'Triple points' is a very good thing...

clubmate

Post by clubmate » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Occasionally I'd to be avle to pay the bill with amex.

saabby

Yes

Post by saabby » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Yes I would like to use AMEX provided no extra cost. Thanks.