Payment Via American Express

Old, inactive threads

Would You Prefer To Pay By AMEX If Exetel Gave This Option?

Yes - I currently use Visa/Mastercard
22%
Yes- I currently use direct debit
15%
Yes - I'm currently not an Exetel customer
1%
No - I don't have an AMEX card
55%
No - I have an AMEX card but wouldn't use it
8%

Total votes: 446

ForumAdmin

Re: Amex Acceptance

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:49 am

khogan01 wrote: I want to pay with the card of my choice without penalty - why wouldnt a business respect that.
Because in the sellers eyes you're asking for a discount they haven't built in to their pricing.

It should be very easy to understand that different payment methods incur different charges and as the payment methods are selectable by the customer then any difference in cost to the seller should be absorbed by the individual customer - not by the seller.

The customer has the choice of payment options and the choice involves costs known to him/her prior to deciding whether or not to buy.

It's simply an example of "user pays".

khogan01

Post by khogan01 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:36 am

Whoa SL200 - Didn't Exetel just give a substantial price increase to all its customers? Sure Exetel blames increasing costs from the supplier - but I bet their margins are a lot healthier post Nov 30 2008. Perhaps healthy enough to listen to the 36% of its base who wants to pay by Amex.

As for wanting everything and not paying a cent for it - I pay $395 a year for my Amex - so I want to use its benefits (rewards, fraud protection, reporting). You might be happy with your mastercard and its functionality - I respect that. So why not the mutual respect for me and the other 36% of people who want to use their Amex.
SL200 wrote:
khogan01 wrote:I definitely want to pay by Amex - I was not going to renew because I am sick of merchants being greedy and telling me how I should pay so that its better for them.
If you care to read the other comments in this thread it is not merchants being greedy, it is AMEX being greedy by charging merchants higher fees than Visa/Mastercard.
khogan01 wrote:I am the consumer - I want my frequent flyer points and the added security/benefits of Amex.
You seem to want everything but don't want to pay a cent for it. By the way, what security/benefits do AMEX offer that other major cards don't these days? It is true that AMEX used to have extra benefits over other cards, but my gold Mastercard offers me everything that AMEX used to offer me before I turfed my AMEX cards.
khogan01 wrote:why wouldnt a business respect that.
Businesses do respect that when they are dealing with credit card issuers who play fairly. i.e. only with very minor exceptions do you see a business offering to accept Visa or Mastercard only while rejecting the other. Visa and MC treat merchants on similar terms so merchants are happy to accept either card. With AMEX charging a merchant double (or even triple if you are a low-volume AMEX merchant) it is only natural to see why merchants baulk at accepting AMEX, especially in companies like Exetel where profit margins are not high and these extra merchant charges can severely eat into profit.

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:44 am

I think the issue is,whether Exetel want to absorb the extra cost themselves...Because its obvious Amex users dont want to pay the extra fees and Non Amex users dont want to be slugged with extra cost so Amex users can collect reward points.... If Amex users want the rewards,they should pay for them..Remember,we all have a choice.And nothing is truly ''FREE''.Someone pays somehow...
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

exetel14

Direct Debit via Amex

Post by exetel14 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:46 pm

I have 2 Amex cards but am quite happy with Exetel payment by direct debit to my bank account. Wouldn't use Amex for Exetel direct debits.

John Dalton

Costs

Post by John Dalton » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:19 pm

I vote against AMEX if it results in any costs for non-AMEX users.

What about enabling BPAY or direct deposit payments and automatically suspending services immediately if payments are not up to date? Service is immediately and automatically resumed if the outstanding account is paid. Getting fancy one could set it up so a disabled account has web access to the exetel members account and maybe one nominated domain (which would be an internet banking site) allowing an account to still be paid on-line. An attempt to acces any other domain would return a web page saying that the account has ot been paid and containing links to the user's exetel login and the nominated bank URL. Alternatively replace the bank link with a note suggesting phone banking or a credit card payment through the user's exetel login.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Costs

Post by James » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm

John Dalton wrote:I vote against AMEX if it results in any costs for non-AMEX users.

What about enabling BPAY or direct deposit payments and automatically suspending services immediately if payments are not up to date? Service is immediately and automatically resumed if the outstanding account is paid. Getting fancy one could set it up so a disabled account has web access to the exetel members account and maybe one nominated domain (which would be an internet banking site) allowing an account to still be paid on-line. An attempt to acces any other domain would return a web page saying that the account has ot been paid and containing links to the user's exetel login and the nominated bank URL. Alternatively replace the bank link with a note suggesting phone banking or a credit card payment through the user's exetel login.
Exetel will never accept BPAY or direct deposit payments for residential accounts.

John Dalton

Post by John Dalton » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Exetel will never accept BPAY or direct deposit payments for residential accounts.
What about Rai Stones* then? We could roll them down the hill through Exetel's front door? :-)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:51 pm

It would be hard getting them up to our office:)

John Dalton

Post by John Dalton » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:54 pm

I can't really see that your internal banking procedures are relevant to customers. :-)

pegi

Re: Payment Via American Express

Post by pegi » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel ceased offering payment via American Express in early 2005. Since then we have reviewed that decision each year. There is a possibility that we could again offer this facility if enough people are interested, and providing we can get a realistic service charge.

To assist us in making this decision would you please indicate whether you would prefer to use American Express rather than your current payment option.
I would not AMEX as they charge%%% through the roof and yearly fees are high also. MAny shops add an extra3% to purchases using AMEX.
I am quite happy using VISA or direct debit as it is done now.
Thanks for the offer.
"Trying is better than doing nothing"

ronald

Post by ronald » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:40 am

khogan01 wrote:Whoa SL200 - Didn't Exetel just give a substantial price increase to all its customers? Sure Exetel blames increasing costs from the supplier - but I bet their margins are a lot healthier post Nov 30 2008. Perhaps healthy enough to listen to the 36% of its base who wants to pay by Amex.

As for wanting everything and not paying a cent for it - I pay $395 a year for my Amex - so I want to use its benefits (rewards, fraud protection, reporting). You might be happy with your mastercard and its functionality - I respect that. So why not the mutual respect for me and the other 36% of people who want to use their Amex.
You are missing the point - the question is not about mutual respect but about money. AMEX payments create a cost other methods do not. You don't want to pay for it, so it seems you expect everyone, or anyone, else to do so. What's that to do with mutual respect? I find it quite disrespectful to ask other people to pay for your benefits.
(And no, it's not about whatever yearly fee you pay to AMEX - that's your own business - it's about what AMEX charge for the actual payment to Exetel - if you don't pay for it someone else has to.)

pegi

Post by pegi » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 am

ronald wrote:
khogan01 wrote:Whoa SL200 - Didn't Exetel just give a substantial price increase to all its customers? Sure Exetel blames increasing costs from the supplier - but I bet their margins are a lot healthier post Nov 30 2008. Perhaps healthy enough to listen to the 36% of its base who wants to pay by Amex.

You are missing the point - the question is not about mutual respect but about money. AMEX payments create a cost other methods do not. You don't want to pay for it, so it seems you expect everyone, or anyone, else to do so. What's that to do with mutual respect? I find it quite disrespectful to ask other people to pay for your benefits.
(And no, it's not about whatever yearly fee you pay to AMEX - that's your own business - it's about what AMEX charge for the actual payment to Exetel - if you don't pay for it someone else has to.)
I agree with Ronald, the point is not really about YOUR usage of AMEX but the fees that is being charged by AMEX to retailers. Sure, it might a good card and nobody is stopping you from using it. But there are costs involved and that should be taken into consideration, not only for you but for all that do not have or can't afford an AMEX. We should be lucky enough to be able at least to have an input into the subject and debate it without being acrimonious. We are being asked for ideas and thoughts and not for value judgments about people.
"Trying is better than doing nothing"

zuzook

Post by zuzook » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:13 pm

I would use it so long as there were no extra charges

SL200

Post by SL200 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:24 pm

khogan01 wrote:I pay $395 a year for my Amex
It's not my fault (or that of other Exetel users) that you pay that much for a simple credit card (or charge card - whichever you have). All the more absurd that AMEX charges merchants higher merchant fees than Visa/MC when they make a fortune from people like you paying such high annual fees. Given the high fee you pay why not start hassling AMEX to lower the merchant fee they will charge to Exetel to a similar rate charged by Visa/MC and we'll all be happy.
khogan01 wrote:so I want to use its benefits (rewards, fraud protection, reporting). You might be happy with your mastercard and its functionality
I get all of that and more with my Mastercards - one of which is free and the other has an annual fee only a small fraction of your horrendous AMEX annual fee.
khogan01 wrote:So why not the mutual respect for me and the other 36% of people who want to use their Amex.
It seems you don't want to respect the 74% majority who do not care if AMEX is introduced or not. Obviously the 36% you refer to are current Exetel customers so they have an alternate means of payment which is currently satisfactory to them.

Mephistopheles

A right can of worms!

Post by Mephistopheles » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:31 pm

I think what it all boils down to is Exetel customers don't mind if you offer Amex as a payment option, as long as non-Amex users don't have to pay for it.

As a consumer I have come to expect paying a credit card surcharge for goods and services over the past few years. Most retailers already add the cost of the credit card surcharge to goods or services. Whether it is included in the retail price or added at the time of sale. Cash will normally always get you a discount at most retail outlets.

I used to add the credit card surcharge to purchases made in my shop. Losing 3% in bank charges out of your gross profit when a customer has already drilled you for a discount is bad business sense (then you have your GST liability on top of every sale).

I have noticed many people have mentioned "user pays" in this topic. This makes good business sense on behalf of Exetel. Pass on the fee for Visa, Mastercard and Amex etc to individual accounts on a "card type" basis.

A profitable Exetel means we can enjoy cheaper internet plans than the mugs that have signed up with Telstra and Optus as Exetel can buy more bandwidth in bulk. As consumers we can't always have it our own way...