Wierd Email Times

Old, inactive threads
Colt

Wierd Email Times

Post by Colt » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:00 am

Ok, basically I'm checking my emails, receiving stuff and then checking them 12 hours later or so only to get one with an earlier time than all the previous ones.

What's going on? How can that happen lol?

It's got me very confused, are emails actually going missing Australia Post style or is it just something to do with the times recorded in the email.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:15 am

Some email clients will sort emails by date and time according to the timestamp of the PC sending them. If that clock is wrong, then your email is sorted into an earlier or later time.

Often spammers use this and time stamp emails with a date like 2020 so that their spam email always appear right at the top of your email list.

It can also happen if someone has set the time on their PC to the correct local time, but have not set the timezone. Email clients look at the time sent and the timezone and convert it into your local timezone. If your or the senders timezone is not set correctly, then the time sequence of emails from other timezones is not going to be calculated correctly.

The other thing that can cause it is if the email has been spooled because an email server was temporarily unavailable. The sending server will store the email and periodically try to resend it over a period of a few days before it give up (and assumes the destination email server no longer exists).

The information to figure out what the particular cause is is contained in the full email headers of the email.

Colt

Post by Colt » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am

Thanks NA, very informative.