Do I need email hosting?

Old, inactive threads
davidgray

Do I need email hosting?

Post by davidgray » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi,

I'm a current ADSL1 customer, so have the standard web and email services. For the purposes of this question, say that I have an email address "fictitious@exemail.com.au".

What I'd like to do is:

1. get a new domain name (e.g. "xyz.com") registered & hosted by Exetel, and

2. have email redirected from accounts in that domain (e.g. "fred@xyz.com") to "fictitious@exemail.com.au".

The solution to #1 seems fairly obvious.

My question is: can I achieve #2 with just the domain registration/hosting and the standard email services? Or do I need order email hosting services as well?

If anyone can clarify this for me, I would appreciate it :-)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:50 pm

I would think you would need email hosting in order to create the fred@xyz.com account and then forward to a nominated account, especially if you have multiple xyz.com email addresses that you wish to forward (either to a single, or multiple exemail.com.au addresses).

You should wait for confirmation by Exetel staff though.

zforum69

Re: Do I need email hosting?

Post by zforum69 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 am

davidgray wrote:My question is: can I achieve #2 with just the domain registration/hosting and the standard email services? Or do I need order email hosting services as well?
The answer is yes but you need a few things.

When you buy your your domain name you need to point your domain to a DNS. Some registrars throw in that service in with the cost of the domain name, others make you pay for it. One alternative is that you could use one of the free DNS services out there.

Once you have a DNS, you normally define an MX record to tell it where email servers are. From your post this is not what you want to do but rather you want is your DNS to do email redirection. Most DNS services allow you to do this including the free ones. Instead of defining an MX record you want your DNS email redirection to redirect fred@xyz.com to fictitious@exemail.com.au. You can even do catchalls to capture the misspellt email addresses.

The last step is to configure your email client (eg. outlook) to make sure that whenever you send an email or reply to one it looks like that it is coming from fred@xyz.com rather than fictitious@exemail.com.au. That way people see emails coming from fred@xyz.com and put that in their address books.

I do the above for myself and a few family email addresses and works quite well.

Z

davidgray

Post by davidgray » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm

OK, thanks for your replies.

It seems the bottom line is that email redirection doesn't come with all DNS hosting services. If I order hosting services, I need to make sure that email redirection is included.

I haven't found anything to confirm this, but Exetel's DNS hosting services do not appear to include email redirection.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:16 pm

I already do this.

1. I purchased a domain (say, xyz.com) from godaddy.com.

2. I took up their included free email address and made hhh@xyz.com.

3. I re-directed that email address to my hhh@exetel.com email address.

The email address on my business card is hhh@xyz.com.

If I decide not to use exetel in the future (highly unlikely of course!), I can re-direct the xyz email address to another email address (e.g. a gmail email address).

Regards,

H.