Activation of line for NAKED ADSL2

Old, inactive threads
sh0nky

Activation of line for NAKED ADSL2

Post by sh0nky » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi, I have a line conected with a dial tone. I understand in order to get this line for use with naked ADSL i have to get either Optus or Telstra to activate it.. As i dont know the line number i cant check to see if i can get naked ADSL on it. I can activate the line after i find out who provides it (optus/telstra).This is fine..but..what if i then find out i cant get naked ADSL on the exchange that the number is connected too.Do i just kiss my line activation charge goodbye? This just seems like a hit and miss way of getting a internet connection.Am i able to just ask Telstra or Optus what exchange a new line activation at my house would be on? This seems more logical than just getting the line activated ,only to find out i cant get the service on that exchange. Please..there must be a better way than crossing your fingers and hoping you are not going to waste money on a line activation that was never going to work in the 1st place.. cheers Scott P.S I am 150 metres away from the Cronulla Exchange if that helps..
Last edited by sh0nky on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:38 pm

If the service can't be connected you're not charged the line activation from Exetel. Telstra will still charge for activating the phone service.

However we do need the telephone number so that we can isolate the copper you're on. There's no other way to do this.
-David

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks David, so it doesnt matter who the line is activated with ie Telstra/Optus? Does Exetel have a preference so it makes the whole process smoother?

James D

Post by James D » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 pm

The best people to get your line connected through is telstra, this is because if optus have their cable network in that area they will connect you to that and then your line will be a fiber line and not a copper line.

When you apply to Exetel for ADSL if there is something that is on the line that is preventing the service being provisioning or the phone line there is not able to have ADSL then there is no charge as the service is not provisioned.

Exetel will charge the activation fee if the supplier advises that they are going to put the ADSL service on that line.

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks David,i have all the info i need now.

philcallachor

Post by philcallachor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:06 am

shOnky,

i have just gone through the same experience.
you need to pay telstra 59 bucks no matter what + a pro rata rate for a line rental, they will put you on the 25 plan unless you specify the 20 plan.
so itll cost $59 + $(no of days/30 * 20) and then you MAY be told it doesnt work.

your right seems a bit hit and miss.
just gotta bite the bullet.

phil

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks for that...my dislike for telstra grows ;)