Using WIFI On Your Mobile To Reduce Call Charges

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Using WIFI On Your Mobile To Reduce Call Charges

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:29 am

We noticed that this service was becoming available in Europe and decided to test it in Australia.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:40 am

No, but very interested.

It's also available in Australia through "3".

Mike

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 am

I have recently Tested this on my Nokia N95 8gig.

What follows can be considered part guide and part personal experience.

I was able to connect to the Exetel voip service.

For those that don't know the Nokia N95 is an S60 product. This means it runs on the Symbian v3 operating system.

I initially tried configuring the phone using it's default Sip client, this not only crashed my phone on multiple occasions but also crashed 2 different routers 7-8 times (always after an attempt to make a call)

Since the phone client wasn't working, I installed a 3rd party application to my phone called Fring.

Fring is a free application that allows a simple voip setup on your phone.

http://www.fring.com/

This is in beta however it works fantastically well. Below is a basic guide as to how the install went.

1. Connected to my Wireless Access Point (My netgear router)
2. Signed up over the Fring website. (Fring sends an sms link to your phone)
3. Downloaded and installed Fring to the phone.
4. Created a new user on my handset (username and password for the fring application)
5. Entered my voip settings:-

Visible user:- *your voip number*@sip1.exetel.com.au
Password:- Your voip password.
Server:- sip1.exetel.com.au

Once this was done, I was able to make calls to and from differing numbers using the voip.

A word of warning though; Fring is still in beta and although it's worked flawlessly for me it may not for you. So here are some standard voip settings that I applied on my handset for the integrated voip client. Be warned though these may or may not work for you.

Profile Name: Exetel
Service Profile: IETF
Access Point: *Your Wifi Network*
Sip Public Username: *your_voip_number*@sip1.exetel.com.au
Use compression: NO
Proxy Server Address: sip:sip1.exetel.com.au
Realm (domain):sip1.exetel.com.au
username: *Your voip number*
Password: *your voip password*
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport Type: UDP
Port: 5060

There is also a Registrar Server which are the same as the above settings

Let me state again, that the N95 8gig version crashed 2 routers 7 or 8 times with the default client. This appears to be a problem with the built in voip rather than the settings though. So the above settings are safe as a general guide.
-David

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 am

Perhaps this wiki will help you:
http://faq.voxalot.com/action/view/Noki ... ovisioning

btw Exetel doesn't work well with Voxalot :(

I have had contact with Howard over this, but nothing seems to have been progressed. I would love to be able to use Exetel VoIP properly with Voxalot, but right now it isn't any good.

Here are a couple of relevant threads at Voxalot forums:
http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-suppor ... vider.html
http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-genera ... iting.html

Kind Regards
AndrewM

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:37 am

I don't personally have any experience with voxalot, but I found Fring to work well.

I'll investigate Voxalot further this evening as I was mostly interested in Fring because of it's popularity and ease of configuration.
-David

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 am

What sort of data usage does it use up?

I'm on a Telstra plan that charges $15mb after my first 5mb (but is included in the mobile cap of $250) so I have a bit of data avail, but not lots....

T.

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am

Well, if you're using Fring, the link below shows approx how much data is used.

http://www.fring.com/fring_is/why_fring/

So, according to that, not much data is used on calls at all. A 1 minute call is approx 150-250k

The actual costs however will be according to the data rate of your mobile provider + stabdard voip charge, unless you're using a wireless lan to connect.

If you're using a wireless lan, then the charges are only what you pay for the voip call.
Last edited by David_h on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:55 am

oh... 133kb a min is good!

Country_lad

Post by Country_lad » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm not using this, however there is a VoIP company in Australia already offering this service for Nokia E model phones, can work with wireless access points and and any 3G network for either normal call or VoIP calls.

Wasn't sure if I can post the link to there page, so I didn't. If you haven't seen it let me know and I can provide the link for you, or the name of the company.

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:40 pm

This is really just an extension of the functionality of our voip that is already on offer. You need only have a voip compatible mobile and an internet service either through wireless lan or another carrier.

If you've got a wireless router at home, it only costs the price of the voip call
-David

twadle

Post by twadle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:14 pm

I've tried this in the past on a Windows Mobile device using Skype out - the skype windows mobile client has been around for some time now. Quality wasn't that great though.

I just tried the Fring thing and had the same results, downloaded and installed no problem logged into Skype no drama. Made some test calls to a fixed line and the quality wasn't really that great. I'm using a plain old GPRS link to my handheld so nothing great bandwidth wise there. Anyone else got a general opinion of quality of the VoIP calls using the data link. I'll try later from a wireless link at home.

I'd have to have a close look and the download per call to figure out is cost effectiveness, but with the quality I have experienced so far it would have to be pretty compelling to want me to make any kind of move to this beyond being something really cool to be able to do.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:19 pm

twadle wrote:II'm using a plain old GPRS link to my handheld so nothing great bandwidth wise there.
This is far from sufficient for adequate VoIP performance. VSPs usually recommend a minimum of a 512/128 service even though it might be a little overkill, it is the safest min. speed.

You can possibly benefit from using very low bandwidth CODECs like iLBC or similar. But I wouldn't count on using VoIP over a GPRS data link.

CyberBlade

Post by CyberBlade » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:16 pm

This is something im experimenting with myself that many others have taken great interest.

Using my awesome Exetel Connection load balanced with my Best Telecom one I manage my Asterisk PABX which links wirelessly (either internal to my network or even external)

Clients on the mobile phone are rather good if you set it up to use proper codecs because as a poster said before the Skype one was garbage (which i agree with because of their own propriatry protocol)

has anyone looked up wikipedia on the subject?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ile_phones

maby give them a try?
(i can advise of which one but its upto everyone to decide whats the best not just me)

its a rather cool thing to have setup becuase many of my bussiness clients can use their own wireless on their mobiles to make an elcheapo call or even as i love to recive calls at a mates place on my mobile via VOIP.

im still experimenting with it all today, and as a proof of concept it works great!

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Pardon my ignorance....but I presume you need a particular type of mobile phone to use this fring thing? It looks interesting, but you guys all look like you're well aware of this technology already....I'd never heard of it until I got the email mentioning it. :oops:

CyberBlade

Post by CyberBlade » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Tafkam wrote:Pardon my ignorance....but I presume you need a particular type of mobile phone to use this fring thing? It looks interesting, but you guys all look like you're well aware of this technology already....I'd never heard of it until I got the email mentioning it. :oops:
to simplify there is the "Smart Phone" and the PDA.

PDA is a desktop assistant that runs Windows Mobile one it (syncs with exchange server for email on the run with email push)

Smartphone is the likes of the nokia N95 which uses its own OS and everything but Nokias just suck. (best go Sony)