Lightning problems ADSL2 Powertel - Chatswood

Old, inactive threads
hardya

Lightning problems ADSL2 Powertel - Chatswood

Post by hardya » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:55 am

Each and every time there is even the smallest thunderstorm with lightning, it would appear that my Powertel ADSL2 DSLAM at Chatswood Exchange starts rebooting itself every few minutes.

You can almost pick it - as soon as you see a lightning flash in the distance, the line drops out and the modem reaunthenticates.

It would appear as though the DSLAM has inadequate lightning protection on the incoming circuits, or is not properly earthed, or similar.

Raising a fault ticket is a waste of time, because when they get around to testing the line, the storm has passed and all is OK.

Is there any way Exetel can bring this upwith Powertel? It is annoying me because it has done this during every storm since I got ADSL2 connected in January. At a former residence, my old ADSL1 service never dropped out during storms.

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:20 am

If this was a problem at the dslam then yes, however if that's the case, there should be a fair number of complaints, however there haven't been any complaints about this that I'm aware of other than your own.

So I would say this is likely to be an isolated issue.

If you can tell me, does the modem lose sync?
-David