Saving The Gouldian Finch?

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Saving The Gouldian Finch?

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 pm

This is a time of the year when many Australians, like people from many other parts of the globe, think more about giving to others than at any other time of the year.

The development of the technologies that Exetel supplies to its customers undoubtedly benefits the human race generally and technology, along with our innate characteristics, have ensured that we dominate the planet in the way no other species has ever done - including our systematic destruction of countless other species.

There are many organisations around the world who have dedicated people who spend their lives, or at least some parts of their lives, attempting to repair some of the damage our rapacious species metes out in eliminating species after species in every part of the wonderful country that we inhabit.

None of these organisations ever has enough money to meet the wide spread and expensive demands that are ever more urgent to protect the habitats of endangered animals and birds in Australia and to attempt to prevent their slide into oblivion.

Doubtless many of Exetel's customers already support charitable and other organisations that are devoted to making life better/possible in many areas of endeavour.

How would you feel about making a small donation each month to the World Wildlife Foundation or some other reputable organisation in Australia to help them keep the increasingly endangered Gouldian Finch from following so many other Australian fauna into extinction?

I'd be interested in your views.

Some details of the Gouldian Finch can be found here:

http://www.efinch.com/species/gould.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouldian_Finch
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

sh0nky

Gordian Finch

Post by sh0nky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Sounds like a great idea.. 65 thousand customers X 5 or 10 cents is a nice donation each month.. Maybe Exetel could start a ''Save the Gouldian Finch website'' and have updates, pics and perhaps a Pay Pal donation set up.. Then donations can be made by non exetel customers as well, thus raising more money for the cause... Great Idea! Good to see a Aussie company and its customers protecting our enviroment for ALL! cheers Scott
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:04 pm

I definitely second that, i think its a great idea and would support it.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:38 pm

I'll be honest, if it was opt-in I wouldn't do it. After thinking about it for a few seconds, I think roughly 10% of the customers I have introduced might do it if it was opt-in and they became aware of it.

I think it would however have a warm fuzzy effect on people to know that a small part of their $xx/month was helping a pretty (presumably, I have not checked the links) bird or something, if it was included in standard pricing.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Bundy wrote:
1) I'll be honest, if it was opt-in I wouldn't do it.
How about if it was an 'opt out'?

In other words we sent you an email saying we'd increased your monthly charge by $x.xx but if you didn't want to donate to save wildlife then you should visit the User Facilities and set your donation amount to zero?

Klymatt

Post by Klymatt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:16 pm

Good idea. Add it to the bill. $1.50 should be fine with anyone. (I would personally be fine with more).
BTW The surface of the Earth is 51 Billion hectares, 70% water 10% desert or ice. So only 10 billion hectares is not wtaer, desert or ice. 6.6 billion people, means 1.5 Ha each (3 footie fields). That's leaving nothing for other species. Anything we can do for other species is very worthwhile.

dmw69

Post by dmw69 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm generally in favour but it would be more appealing if it didn't go just to that one specific bird but to ANY Aussie wildlife that is endangered or otherwise threatened by human activity. Unless the Gould Finch is THE most endangered animal we have?

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:01 pm

I'm all for it, perhaps $1 per month, donated to the WWF to be used as they see fit.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:02 pm

dmw69 wrote:I'm generally in favour but it would be more appealing if it didn't go just to that one specific bird but to ANY Aussie wildlife that is endangered or otherwise threatened by human activity. Unless the Gould Finch is THE most endangered animal we have?
It will cost $100,000 for each of three years to carry out the program for that one bird.

I'm sure there are others.

Moonman

Post by Moonman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:09 pm

I'd be willing to pay probably an extra $5/Month not just for this, but to also offset carbon emissions caused by my connection, and whatever else was deemed worthy.

I do it with pretty much everything else of mine (car, house, air travel, etc).

RoryB

No Offence!!!

Post by RoryB » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm

If this corporation wants to save the birds or anything else for that matter, then let their corporate dollar do it. If I was to find that I was automatically included in this project, as an Exetel customer and then have to OPT OUT at some later date - to be offensive. I donate monthly by direct debit to 3 separate humane projects, not to mention the countless donations I make... To be told that my internet will be increased, but I can opt out at some later stage, again is not the right thing for this ISP to do. If customers want to donate, then supply them with the abilility to do it and stay out of it. This is taking the good nature of Australians for granted, which I might add we are the highest donators in the world, just too far. I wonder if ANZ, Commonwealth, Telstra, Optus or any other company would cop some flack at a fee increase because someone at their organisation came up with some bright idea. Oh, for those who will be donating , it will not be a tax deduction...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:15 pm

Moonman wrote:I'd be willing to pay probably an extra $5/Month not just for this, but to also offset carbon emissions caused by my connection, and whatever else was deemed worthy.

We are currently investigating 'green power' and the other aspects of reducing waste and pollution.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm

moonman has a good point

maybe we can opt in to *something* without making it too administratively difficult
my small money goes to a group i actively work with and normally no where else, as i cant afford much

but some ideas are worth exploring .

i know a few people who have made their business and forums carbon neutral

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 pm

soaper wrote:moonman has a good point

maybe we can opt in to *something* without making it too administratively difficult
my small money goes to a group i actively work with and normally no where else, as i cant afford much

but some ideas are worth exploring .

i know a few people who have made their business and forums carbon neutral
It would be interesting to hear any ideas you might have.

If you have some suggestions about 'greening' Exetel then please open a new thread.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Moonman wrote:I'd be willing to pay probably an extra $5/Month not just for this, but to also offset carbon emissions caused by my connection, and whatever else was deemed worthy.

We are currently investigating 'green power' and the other aspects of reducing waste and pollution.
Good call Forum Admin. Perhaps it might simply be easiest to take 5c off the monthly fee off every user and donate that?

That generates off 65,000 users: $3k a month. $100,000 a year is easy to find out of just $3k a month. Probably get away with $1k a month to them, and perhaps a donation to green tree program or a green power program. All that from just 5c a user!