Saving The Gouldian Finch?

Old, inactive threads
sh0nky
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Bankstown/Cronulla

bad business practice???

Post by sh0nky » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:01 am

[williamthebold] This present endeavour is bad business practice.

Its hardly ''bad business practice'' For starters, companies that donate to whatever cause, often have the added benefit of the extra publicity that goes with it, etc. Customers may leave Exetel on ''moral'' grounds because they dont support such endevours, and that is well within their right to do so,but think how many will also join Exetel or or support them on ''moral'' grounds. Having been in a family business for over 30yrs that makes regular donations to various organisations,i can tell you that donations to any fit cause are nothing but ''good for business''!. And usually when a business is doing well...so are the customers.
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: A Greener Exetel

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:01 am

Country Bumkin wrote:Some thoughts on a green Exetel...

(1) Get your own house in order, the most obvious is green power. Choose a plan from http://www.greenelectricitywatch.org.au//index.php

(2) Other practical conservation suggestions for the company and staff could come from the Alternative Technology Association http://ata.org.au/

(3) Raise some cash by letting customers choose from 3 different off-peak quotas, those choosing smaller quotas add more cash to an enviro fund.

(4) Allow customers to add an optional amount of cash to the fund.

(5) There are plenty of green things for the fund to save on this list. http://www.environment.gov.au/tax/reo/index.html

Regards C Bumkin - off the grid and off my rocker.
Thank you for your very useful suggestions.

We are in the final stages of considering plans to make Exetel more 'green' and will, most likely, implement a 'greening' program in 2008.

sunrise3500
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Aus

Post by sunrise3500 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:36 am

Anthony Michaud wrote:It has to be an opt-in plan. I'll choose where my donations go, and when thanks. Those that ask, tend to be offended by a negative response.

If I have to waste time opting out of something that I don't want to participate it - its costing me money.

I don't like it when things cost me money - especially when I haven't requested them.
100% agreed.

TrentG
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: A Greener Exetel

Post by TrentG » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:53 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Country Bumkin wrote:Some thoughts on a green Exetel...

(1) Get your own house in order, the most obvious is green power. Choose a plan from http://www.greenelectricitywatch.org.au//index.php

(2) Other practical conservation suggestions for the company and staff could come from the Alternative Technology Association http://ata.org.au/

(3) Raise some cash by letting customers choose from 3 different off-peak quotas, those choosing smaller quotas add more cash to an enviro fund.

(4) Allow customers to add an optional amount of cash to the fund.

(5) There are plenty of green things for the fund to save on this list. http://www.environment.gov.au/tax/reo/index.html

Regards C Bumkin - off the grid and off my rocker.
Thank you for your very useful suggestions.

We are in the final stages of considering plans to make Exetel more 'green' and will, most likely, implement a 'greening' program in 2008.
I like the idea of 'greening' plans but does making them greener end up costing me more money?
Image

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: A Greener Exetel

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 am

TrentG wrote: I like the idea of 'greening' plans but does making them greener end up costing me more money?
I haven't seen the details of the recommendation yet so I don't know what's involved.

However - it's going to be important to do whatever is practically and commercially possible to play Exetel's minute/infinitisimal part in reducing carbon emissions and creating additional 'carbon soaks' via planting more trees.

I strongly suspect it will cost Exetel more money - whether we ask customers to make a contribution is not known.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 am

In the event that Exetel proceeds with assisting the efforts to save the Gouldian Finch (or any other species) this is the sort of organisation we would donate our own money to and any additional money contributed by Exetel customers:

(Save The Gouldian Finch)

"I thought a little background and a synopsis of how we operate might be the best initial approach, after which, if we have stirred your interest, maybe I could come and see you so you could 'cross examine' us in person!

The Gouldian Finch is one of Australia's most endangered species yet once it was counted in flocks of thousands. Today there are only some 2,500 or so left in the wild.

Sadly what is happening to the Gouldian is happening to many granivorous species across the 'Top End', so the Gouldian has become an indicator species, ie. whatever is happening to the Gouldian is probably exactly the same that is causing the decline of the other species. In other words,Save The Gouldian and you save a whole host of species.

Like you I am a business person and have been involved with the Gouldian for many years. I have funded large parts of the Gouldian programme, but began to realise that my own funding would be inadequate if we were to have a real impact, so when I retired from business we started STGF.

STGF is run entirely by volunteers who even cover their own operating costs. This means every cent donated goes to the cause and not into covering administration costs.

Our aim is to RESTORE the Gouldian, not 'conserve' it, meaning, we are not happy just to provide pockets of habitat where isolated populations may survive for a period.

We operate by stimulating and funding research and recovery programmes. Many of these programmes are government, university or large conservation organisations which are prone to change as funding,strategic or political emphasis alters. We constantly monitor this and only contribute to active programmes which are delivering real results [ not lip service] and which comply with the overall strategy of 'saving the gouldian'.

Examples of current funding are:

* We fund and operate a captive research station for MacQuarie University which houses 1200 Gouldians and approximately 200 Longtail Finches. The scientific head of the operation, Dr Sarah Pryke, won the Lauriel Woman in Science of the Year Award for her work on the Gouldian!

* We also fund the field research of AWC's [ Australian Wildlife Conservancy] Dr Sarah Legge which complements the work on the captive birds.

* It is emerging that probably the biggest contributor to the decline of the Gouldian is poor or complete lack of fire management.
Sarah Legge has been running an experimental fire management 'cell' of the 12 properties surrounding AWC's Mornington Reserve, the equipment and labour to enable this was contributed by STGF.

Examples of planned future projects are:

* The building and operating of an Interpretation Centre and Science Village in Wyndham in the East Kimberley. This would be a joint venture with the Shire of Wyndham. We have been ceded a large chunk of Crown land and are waiting for the Shire to get its Gov. funding. [ MacQuarie University have already started to use it for their field research ]

* A joint venture with WWF to expand the 'Cell Fire Management' system developed by Sarah Legge. The strategy is to develop fire management practice and facilities cell by cell [ or block by block ! ] until the whole of the north is covered, starting with the Kimberley.

This latter project would be Australia"s most significant contribution to conservation and would save more than 23 different species if we manage to roll it out successfully.

In closing I would add, that given the funding, we have a real opportunity to bring a raft of species 'back from the brink'.

Field research on an AWC reserve has proven that habitat can regenerate surprisingly quickly and the Gouldian and other native animals immediately respond to this by increasing numbers, we can repeat this all over the North given time and the resources.

We hope the above synopsis has stimulated your desire to know more and look forward to your reply."

tocpcs
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Online

Post by tocpcs » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 am

ForumAdmin wrote:In the event that Exetel proceeds with assisting the efforts to save the Gouldian Finch (or any other species) this is the sort of organisation we would donate our own money to and any additional money contributed by Exetel customers:

(Save The Gouldian Finch)

"I thought a little background and a synopsis of how we operate might be the best initial approach, after which, if we have stirred your interest, maybe I could come and see you so you could 'cross examine' us in person!

The Gouldian Finch is one of Australia's most endangered species yet once it was counted in flocks of thousands. Today there are only some 2,500 or so left in the wild.

Sadly what is happening to the Gouldian is happening to many granivorous species across the 'Top End', so the Gouldian has become an indicator species, ie. whatever is happening to the Gouldian is probably exactly the same that is causing the decline of the other species. In other words,Save The Gouldian and you save a whole host of species.

Like you I am a business person and have been involved with the Gouldian for many years. I have funded large parts of the Gouldian programme, but began to realise that my own funding would be inadequate if we were to have a real impact, so when I retired from business we started STGF.

STGF is run entirely by volunteers who even cover their own operating costs. This means every cent donated goes to the cause and not into covering administration costs.

Our aim is to RESTORE the Gouldian, not 'conserve' it, meaning, we are not happy just to provide pockets of habitat where isolated populations may survive for a period.

We operate by stimulating and funding research and recovery programmes. Many of these programmes are government, university or large conservation organisations which are prone to change as funding,strategic or political emphasis alters. We constantly monitor this and only contribute to active programmes which are delivering real results [ not lip service] and which comply with the overall strategy of 'saving the gouldian'.

Examples of current funding are:

* We fund and operate a captive research station for MacQuarie University which houses 1200 Gouldians and approximately 200 Longtail Finches. The scientific head of the operation, Dr Sarah Pryke, won the Lauriel Woman in Science of the Year Award for her work on the Gouldian!

* We also fund the field research of AWC's [ Australian Wildlife Conservancy] Dr Sarah Legge which complements the work on the captive birds.

* It is emerging that probably the biggest contributor to the decline of the Gouldian is poor or complete lack of fire management.
Sarah Legge has been running an experimental fire management 'cell' of the 12 properties surrounding AWC's Mornington Reserve, the equipment and labour to enable this was contributed by STGF.

Examples of planned future projects are:

* The building and operating of an Interpretation Centre and Science Village in Wyndham in the East Kimberley. This would be a joint venture with the Shire of Wyndham. We have been ceded a large chunk of Crown land and are waiting for the Shire to get its Gov. funding. [ MacQuarie University have already started to use it for their field research ]

* A joint venture with WWF to expand the 'Cell Fire Management' system developed by Sarah Legge. The strategy is to develop fire management practice and facilities cell by cell [ or block by block ! ] until the whole of the north is covered, starting with the Kimberley.

This latter project would be Australia"s most significant contribution to conservation and would save more than 23 different species if we manage to roll it out successfully.

In closing I would add, that given the funding, we have a real opportunity to bring a raft of species 'back from the brink'.

Field research on an AWC reserve has proven that habitat can regenerate surprisingly quickly and the Gouldian and other native animals immediately respond to this by increasing numbers, we can repeat this all over the North given time and the resources.

We hope the above synopsis has stimulated your desire to know more and look forward to your reply."
Got my vote.

jamiep
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: QLD

Green Wash

Post by jamiep » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:21 am

"Examples of planned future projects are:

* The building and operating of an Interpretation Centre and Science Village in Wyndham in the East Kimberley. This would be a joint venture with the Shire of Wyndham. We have been ceded a large chunk of Crown land and are waiting for the Shire to get its Gov. funding. [ MacQuarie University have already started to use it for their field research ]

* A joint venture with WWF to expand the 'Cell Fire Management' system developed by Sarah Legge. The strategy is to develop fire management practice and facilities cell by cell [ or block by block ! ] until the whole of the north is covered, starting with the Kimberley.
"

Cell Fire Management on Crown land doesn't sound like "RESTORATION" to me. Surely buying back adjoining farm land and restoring the destroyed habitat would be a lot more effective. (Similar to Steve Erwins approach).

williamthebold
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Australia

as before

Post by williamthebold » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:08 pm

I stand by what I said.
The "project" of "saving the gouldian finch" has nothing (directly) to do with the provisioning of internet services.
The bulk of the comments thus become irrelevant.
I am surprised and perplexed at this stance taken by exetel?
But even so, I am pleased they also have strong views.

flak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 7:17 am

Post by flak » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:35 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: * It is emerging that probably the biggest contributor to the decline of the Gouldian is poor or complete lack of fire management.
Sarah Legge has been running an experimental fire management 'cell' of the 12 properties surrounding AWC's Mornington Reserve, the equipment and labour to enable this was contributed by STGF.
Off the top of my head, I would think that the majority of fires in the remote native habitat of the Gouldian would occur naturally, not because of humans. As such, is it appropriate for humans to interfere with this natural process?

I am all for saving species which are at risk due to human activity, but should we be interfering with nature's equilibreum and saving species which are dying out through natural causes?

Edwin
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: as before

Post by Edwin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:42 pm

williamthebold wrote:I stand by what I said.
The "project" of "saving the gouldian finch" has nothing (directly) to do with the provisioning of internet services.
Finding a cure for breast cancer doesn't have to do anything with selling water or chocolate coated cookies and still everyone accepts to buy a pink bottle of Mount Franklins or a pink pack of Tim Tam's.

Supporting families with seriously ill kids doesn't have anything to do with selling fast food, and still everyone accepts that McDonalds poors money in the Ronald McDonald houses.

jamiep
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: QLD

Green Wash

Post by jamiep » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:11 pm

McDonalds would be a bad example, they would set more kids up for a life of obesity and all the chronic diseases that go with that, than the benefit they provide to sick kids parents.

What matters more than pink ribbons or even a specific dollar amount is what the money is being spent on and how effective it is? Prefer to see specifc tonnes of greenhouse gas stopped or land clearance restored. I also beleive prevention is better than cure and all charities I donate to are on that permanent solution basis (i.e no bandaid or green wash)

Country Bumkin
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:50 pm
Location: Regional QLD

Re: A Greener Exetel

Post by Country Bumkin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
TrentG wrote: I like the idea of 'greening' plans but does making them greener end up costing me more money?
I haven't seen the details of the recommendation yet so I don't know what's involved.

However - it's going to be important to do whatever is practically and commercially possible to play Exetel's minute/infinitisimal part in reducing carbon emissions and creating additional 'carbon soaks' via planting more trees.

I strongly suspect it will cost Exetel more money - whether we ask customers to make a contribution is not known.
The first step in 'greening' is conservation, even including some expenditure like improved auto controls on power consuming equipment it will usually save money. (people are too unreliable once the novelty wears off)

If you join the Alternative Technology Association they have a technical advice service for members and the magazine could help 'green' the staff.
(I'm not a member but I do subscribe to the magazine)

Regards C Bumkin

pjb42
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:06 am
Location: Victoria

Post by pjb42 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:23 pm

I don't have any problem with Exetel Management or Staff engaging it's customers in any ideas. And I certainly do not think it's 'bad business practices'. In 'CorporationLand' or 'HowardWorld', I am sure this would be seen as a bad business idea, because the ONLY criteria for measuring success are financial there. I am very glad to see a growing company like Exetel addressing social issues as well as technical, business, fiduciary, etc. I happen to be one of those strange people who think that the oft ignored 'Quality of Life' aspects of life are important and not totally related to the size of one's income or bank balance.

I have been a Director of two Companies in past decades, one that achieved several international industry awards for excellence. We won the awards and had over 300%/annum growth whilst we cared about our staff, customers and suppliers above our bottom line. The staff were encouraged by management to become involved in issues they believed were socially important, and the management supported their endeavours. We rarely had people taking 'sickies' or advantage of the company. Anyone who did was usually taken care of by the other staff. It was rare that management had to get involved. We took care of our staff and families, and they took care of the company. :) Until the company went though massive changes, and the board decided over a period of a few years to change that to caring more about shareholders and the bottom line. I and others resigned. Ten years later, it was bought for a pittance by a Chinese company. It went from a happy, profitable, productive company with excellent growth, to a plummeting rock. There was an Academic paper written about the company some years ago, and the conclusions were quite interesting.

Only the naive and the short-sighted believe that a company can survive only when controlled by bean-counters and that only profits matter. If a company runs purely on profit & loss, and they have a bad year or even a bad quarter, that company is doomed unless bailed out by others (for their own reasons!)

People matter. :)

So, once again, I applaud Exetel's initiative. And thanks for asking.

Cheers!

stormx

Re: A Greener Exetel

Post by stormx » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 pm

TrentG wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Country Bumkin wrote:Some thoughts on a green Exetel...
Wouldn't it be better paying more then having longer and dryer years to come?

Post Reply