Slow speeds offpeak

Old, inactive threads
m00n1

Slow speeds offpeak

Post by m00n1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:11 am

Exetel support requested I post in the forum before they'd address my slow off peak speed issues. Seems like a bizarre way to do support, but whatever....

My OzSpeed test results:

Peak:
Your line speed is 2.69 Mbps (2692 kbps).
Your download speed is 337 KB/s (0.33 MB/s).

Off peak:
Your line speed is 564 kbps (0.56 Mbps).
Your download speed is 70 KB/s (0.07 MB/s)

Doing a download from nvidia, apple and microsoft simultaneously:
Peak:
Apple: 490KB/sec
NVidia: 330KB/sec
Microsoft: 470KB/sec

Off peak:
Apple: 11KB/sec
NVidia: 72KB/sec
Microsoft: 63KB/sec

Off peak, I generally can't stream a youtube video without major delays.

When I'm surfing, I tend to lose track of time. But I always know when it's midnight, pages IMMEDIATELY get slower.

Exetel support, next step is....?

ania

Post by ania » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 am

Same thing just happened to me around midnight tonight.
What's up?

m00n1

Post by m00n1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:00 am

I hasn't "just" happened to me. It's been like this for months. I just got sick of it.

Forget youtube after midnight - I will generally need to wait at LEAST 50% of the time of the video to allow it to buffer.

Tropod

Post by Tropod » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Mmm, off-peak speeds have always been fairly poor. Been with exetel for over a year, just moved house and onto a powertel exchange after being on an Optus one, hoped it would be slightly better, alas, it's not. Guess the huge data allowances exetel offer come at a price, l'd assume all the heavy downloaders que their downloads for 12 AM onwards, making browsing/downloading/anything, especially internationally, a pain at around 12-3 AM. Not much we can do about it sadly. :(

ania

Post by ania » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Well, I never noticed it until last night, and I've been with Exetel for at least 2 years already.

TheBigBad

Post by TheBigBad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:55 pm

I usually play WoW until 1 or 2am, and it has always been bad from 12 midnight onwards but just bareable. But it has come to the point where it is unplayable now with lags spikes of around 2 seconds.

I have tried the Fair play option but I haven't noticed a difference at all in that pool.

xs4all

Post by xs4all » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:20 pm

m00n1,

Don't worry, it's not just you that is having the OFF PEAK speed issues, other users are having the same problems as you, take time and read other post's on this forum about speed issues during OFF PEAK times.

Exetel knows about the problem, but according to them there is nothing wrong with your connection or their connection.

If your line sync is normal and you can max out your download speeds (via http downloads) by downloading multiple files, then there is nothing wrong (according to them) it's mainly the single connection is causing issues, this never used to happen.

discursively

Post by discursively » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:45 am

xs4all wrote:m00n1,
Exetel knows about the problem, but according to them there is nothing wrong with your connection or their connection.

If your line sync is normal and you can max out your download speeds (via http downloads) by downloading multiple files, then there is nothing wrong (according to them) it's mainly the single connection is causing issues, this never used to happen.
That seems really unfair. This is new for me too. I don't really use the service much during peak hours--so this is a serious impediment.

timbot

Post by timbot » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I agree that this is indeed a totally bizarre way to provide support. But for what it's worth here are my results. (off peak)

This is on the Bassendean exchange in WA after doing isolation test etc.

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*16/12/2007*] @ [*11:24 AM*]

Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*43.34 secs*]

Your line speed is [*565 kbps*] (0.57 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*71 KB/s*] (0.07 MB/s). )]

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
Test run on [*16/12/2007*] @ [*11:39 AM*]

Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*290.64 secs*]

Your line speed is [*431 kbps*] (0.43 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*54 KB/s*] (0.05 MB/s). )]

Test run on [*16/12/2007*] @ [*12:53 PM*]

Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*56.53 secs*]

Your line speed is [*433 kbps*] (0.43 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*54 KB/s*] (0.05 MB/s). )]

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:06 pm

discursively wrote:
xs4all wrote:That seems really unfair. This is new for me too. I don't really use the service much during peak hours--so this is a serious impediment.
Actually, it's quite reasonable ... the role of Exetel (or any ISP anywhere in the world) is to provide a connection to your premises. If you are able to connect their job is done. In an ideal environment, having all protocols max out your connection all of the time would occur. But this is not an ideal world, particularly given the tendency for P2P to chew up large amounts of somewhat expensive upstream bandwidth. It's a fact of life that we have to deal with, and it's something that has the potential to affect all users on all ISP's.

I believe this blog post mentions some measures are in the pipeline to overcome speed issues, and I don't think they're the only measures being taken either, including others mentioned here.

ania

Post by ania » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:32 am

dogwomble wrote: Actually, it's quite reasonable ... .
You think it's reasonable that I can't even play a card game on yahoo?

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:33 am

ania wrote:
dogwomble wrote: Actually, it's quite reasonable ... .
You think it's reasonable that I can't even play a card game on yahoo?
Before making posts like that, I'd suggest rereading the post I made. I actually don't say that at all.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:27 am

Just to clear things up for those that still haven't got it after rereading my post, this is what I'm trying to say.

- In terms of ADSL, the ultimate goal for Exetel, or any other ISP, is to provide you with a working ADSL connection. In these cases, I see working internet connections, albeit ones that at some times aren't working as efficiently as they could.
- There has been some troubleshooting provided by some users (thanks for that guys, it actually does help!) but others seem to come in here and do nothing but winge - very unhelpful for Exetel staff, as not only does it not provide Exetel staff with enough information to do their job, it also gives off the impression that you do not want to be helped and therefore gives nobody (including staff and volunteers here) the motivation to help you. If you do want to be helped, it would be really fantastic if you could provide some more information - ie. what have you tried, what has been the result? Even if it's Exetel's problem, this gives Exetel some information as to what's worked and what hasn't worked, to try and identify the details of the issue - ie. who it's affecting, how it's affecting them, when the issue occurs, etc.
- Having said that, Exetel can't really guarantee speed all of the time, and I personally don't expect them to. There are many factors - including varying amounts of overhead in different protocols running over IP, congestion outside of the Exetel network, connection quality at the other end - that Exetel can't control. Added to that is the actions of other users - it has been traditional with Exetel, as I'm sure it is with any other ISP that offers an off-peak quota, that downloads are automatically scheduled to start right on the start of the off peak period and, with any ISP, this has the ability to negatively affect other users. Again, Exetel can only do so much. Exetel can really only be expected to do the best they can to make sure their part of the Internet is working as best they can.
- In light of that, if you had taken the time to read the blog posts I had linked to, you would find they have announced changes that will improve the quality of their service. This includes providing a second GigE connection to provide ADSL1 (and possibly ADSL2) users in NSW with more bandwidth between them and Exetel. This will be progressively improved to cover connections to other states as well. There are also plans in place to provide additional bandwidth, via a new carrier, upstream of Exetel. If the cause of the problem is choked bandwidth at any point in the Exetel network, these announcements will provide a long-term solution to the problem, as opposed to band-aiding the problem with short-term problems that only delay the inevitable. It may take time to implement, however nothing of that scale can be implemented overnight. They haven't put firm dates on it yet, but my reading of it is that the planning has already begun.

It is frustrating when these things happen - but complaining about them and doing nothing yourself about them, in my opinion, is just lazy. Exetel have made announcements which show they are planning to do their part - how about you guys do yours, which are eliminate any possible causes at your end if you haven't already done so, and also pass this information onto Exetel if a fault report is necessary so that the issue can be handled correctly? If you're not sure of what you need to do, then by all means - ask. If you receive advice, then it's usually a good idea to follow it even if it doesn't immediately make sense - there's usually a reason behind it and, again, if you're not sure why we don't mind you asking. If you ask questions and show you're willing to be helped, it makes it easier for us to deal with and quicker for you in the long run.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Exetel staff and volunteers are not mindreaders. And I find it sad that there are so many people in these forums and elsewhere that are so desperately after their 'instant gratification' fix that issues like these get blown out of proportion.

m00n1

Post by m00n1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 am

dogwomble wrote:- In terms of ADSL, the ultimate goal for Exetel, or any other ISP, is to provide you with a working ADSL connection. In these cases, I see working internet connections, albeit ones that at some times aren't working as efficiently as they could.
Then why don't all ISPs speeds suddenly plummet at midnight? The issue is clearly specific to exetel.
dogwomble wrote:- There has been some troubleshooting provided by some users (thanks for that guys, it actually does help!) but others seem to come in here and do nothing but winge - very unhelpful for Exetel staff, as not only does it not provide Exetel staff with enough information to do their job, it also gives off the impression that you do not want to be helped and therefore gives nobody (including staff and volunteers here) the motivation to help you. If you do want to be helped, it would be really fantastic if you could provide some more information - ie. what have you tried, what has been the result? Even if it's Exetel's problem, this gives Exetel some information as to what's worked and what hasn't worked, to try and identify the details of the issue - ie. who it's affecting, how it's affecting them, when the issue occurs, etc.
I provided them with the exact information they asked me to, in the (somewhat bizarre) location they asked me to. When I signed up, there was an agreement that there would be support. It is, in my opinion, a reasonable expectation that the "support" shouldn't be wading through a bunch of random posts by users discussing possible solutions which may not work at all, or only work in special configurations, and regardless, simply don't have the full picture as they aren't Exetel employees and have no knowledge on the back end, etc. So, I'd rather take my advice from Exetel, I believe this is a reasonable expectation, and I believe the ombudsman would back me up on that.
dogwomble wrote:- Having said that, Exetel can't really guarantee speed all of the time, and I personally don't expect them to. There are many factors - including varying amounts of overhead in different protocols running over IP, congestion outside of the Exetel network, connection quality at the other end - that Exetel can't control. Added to that is the actions of other users - it has been traditional with Exetel, as I'm sure it is with any other ISP that offers an off-peak quota, that downloads are automatically scheduled to start right on the start of the off peak period and, with any ISP, this has the ability to negatively affect other users. Again, Exetel can only do so much. Exetel can really only be expected to do the best they can to make sure their part of the Internet is working as best they can.
Agreed that all ISPs have periods of congestion or sub optimal performance. 50% of the time reproducible by a large quantity of people seems to fall well outside of that. They ARE in control of this.
dogwomble wrote:- In light of that, if you had taken the time to read the blog posts I had linked to, you would find they have announced changes that will improve the quality of their service. This includes providing a second GigE connection to provide ADSL1 (and possibly ADSL2) users in NSW with more bandwidth between them and Exetel. This will be progressively improved to cover connections to other states as well. There are also plans in place to provide additional bandwidth, via a new carrier, upstream of Exetel. If the cause of the problem is choked bandwidth at any point in the Exetel network, these announcements will provide a long-term solution to the problem, as opposed to band-aiding the problem with short-term problems that only delay the inevitable. It may take time to implement, however nothing of that scale can be implemented overnight. They haven't put firm dates on it yet, but my reading of it is that the planning has already begun.
Once again, not my problem. Exetel have an obligation to support me. If their support is a formal reply saying "we know what the problem is, we are provisioning extra bandwidth and it will be ok in 3 weeks" then I would happily accept that. All I have now is silence from Exetel and a bunch of users complaining about the same issue. Simply the number of people complaining about it in itself suggests it's an exetel issue. I have done everything that exetel have asked me to. I have better things to do than trouble shoot some one else's problems, especially someone I am paying money to. I pay money, I expect a basic level of service. I understand exetel is not a high touch ISP, but at the moment I am getting no service, and it appears I'm not the only one.

I'm not after mind readers. I providing them with a reasonable amount of information in my initial help desk query. They responded asking for more information, and having it posted in the forums. I did that. As said, if they acknowledged that it was, for example, a bandwidth provisioning issue and it was being fixed and gave an estimated time, then I would most likely be happy with that. All I have is silence. I'm not a mind reader either.

m00n1

Post by m00n1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:41 am

http://www.tio.com.au/FAQ/Adr.htm

Telecom communication ombudsman:
"Under industry regulations your provider has 30 days to finalise a complaint from the day it first hears about it."

26 days and counting... not 26 days to respond, 26 days to resolve.