New P2P Caching Service

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm

mrsa wrote:I can't say I've noticed any difference; maybe my torrents are not cached.
Turn off encryption.

codywilson

Post by codywilson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm on the TelN 8192/384 plan down in Tasmania and usually my P2P traffic maxes out at about 150 - 200KBps (actually i think that has been the upper limit since I joined in July) but the other night I had 2 torrents peaking at 500KBps between them.
Could be a coincedence but I'm seeing more and more of my torrents over 100 KBps these past few days.

Good job Exetel.
I'm glad Exetel is a company which is moving forward with ideas that make everyones access faster, better and without any real hastles to the end user.

Any word on plans which increase the data allowance, even offpeak, let us know.

mrsa

Post by mrsa » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Turn off encryption.
That didn't help.

ajarm1

Post by ajarm1 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:33 pm

I also have noticed a huge increase. Previously the best I could achieve was about 200KB/s with multiple torrents, however recently I had a single 200MB file download at 700KB/s the whole way.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:39 pm

I noticed an increase a short time ago, very nice.

I must wonder though, why are Exetel reducing how much we can d/l during the off peak period ($3 per gig after 72, soon to be 48) when they are increasing speed and decreasing their costs?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Yabbie wrote:I noticed an increase a short time ago, very nice.

I must wonder though, why are Exetel reducing how much we can d/l during the off peak period ($3 per gig after 72, soon to be 48) when they are increasing speed and decreasing their costs?
Because 48 gb free for 12 hours every day is very generous - far more than any other provider and it caters for 99.99% of all Exetel users.

There has to be a balance as more and more users take advantage of the free period, and this will only increase, and 48 is the maximum that can be provided at the moment.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jakiman

Post by jakiman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Do you have any plans for having the option to throttle the speed to say 128k or so for those who do not want to pay or worry about the extra $3 per gig? (for those on ADSL2) It'll be good for those such as my cousins/parents who has no idea about internet to have a safety net. Maybe if you can have something similar to the fast ping option that you have during off peak? Which can be changed once per month?

anyways. this p2p caching sounds great! great work.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:33 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Because 48 gb free for 12 hours every day is verygeerous - far more than any other provider and it caters for 99.99% of all Exetel users.
I agree and appreciate that 48 GB is fairly generous, but if it is ok for 99.99% of users, then why worry about that 0.01% and start charging all of a sudden - especially since your costs have halved with the caching?

Also, as someone else mentioned, why not offer to throttle the speed to (say) 128k rather than charge more? Surely it couldn't be that hard to offer a plan that caters to users that prefer shaping to more $$? Personally, I would like to be charged $3 per GB during peak times, and throttled in off peak times.

codywilson

Post by codywilson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 am

Personally I joined Exetel because they charge $3/GB if you exceed your peak limit or exceed 72GB in off peak.
I'd prefer to pay for that extra bit of speed at the end of the month as I left Telstra because they shaped (and overcharged.)

I see jakiman's point about IT illiterate family members though and maybe shaping should be considered as an option for the TNCX, TELB, TELE and TELI plans in the peak time. Noting that these family members would barely make a dent in the 48GB overnight (can anyone say subsidy!).

It would make selling Exetel to family members easier as you can say "They give you more than [insert stupid phone company here] does but gives you 48GB of downloads overnight for the same price."

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:45 am

Yabbie wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Because 48 gb free for 12 hours every day is verygeerous - far more than any other provider and it caters for 99.99% of all Exetel users.
Also, as someone else mentioned, why not offer to throttle the speed to (say) 128k rather than charge more? Surely it couldn't be that hard to offer a plan that caters to users that prefer shaping to more $$? Personally, I would like to be charged $3 per GB during peak times, and throttled in off peak times.
Because even with throttling there are 100's of users who eat up 60-70Gb+ (and in one persistent case, 180Gb) each and every month. By making it a user pays system these excessively high downloads are curbed, freeing up bandwidth for other users and reducing Exetel's running costs.

Bottom line, 48Gb (plus peak allocation) is plenty and more than almost all other ISPs. Regardless of whether it is shaped, pooled, throttled or charged in excess of this limit, everybody (and I mean "everybody") has the ability to alter their downloading pattern to ensure they do not exceed it. The 0.01% that do exceed it do so voluntarily and in my (and Exetel's) opinion should pay for such excessive usage.

Egan

Post by Egan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 am

seems to be working great here - could always max out my connection (600-800kB.sec on ADSL1) on well seeded private torrents, but now even a couple of reasonably popular public ones will do it, when they used to crawl along at 80-150. great work exetel !!! 8)
now make the referral bonus apply to ADSL2 and naked connections as well as ADSL1 !

chingy213

Post by chingy213 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:42 am

Majorly slow.

Im on powertel dsl2+ around 9mb.

Max torrent speed last day or 2 around 50+ max.

bemuse

Post by bemuse » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:04 pm

is there any way we can look at the cache, so we know what files are already stored

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:17 pm

bemuse wrote:is there any way we can look at the cache, so we know what files are already stored
No, because that's not how a cache system works.

Any data in the cache may be files or fragment of files, and they are not stored in any logical manner for viewing. Also, as the cache ages, data fragments will get deleted and/or renewed depending on usage.

To repeat an earlier statement - cache is not a mirror with an identifiable file structure, that you can pick and choose from.

yanny

Post by yanny » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:41 pm

what determines what files will be on the cache?
sorry if this has already been answered