Reminder Of 12 Midnight To 12 Noon Conditions

Old, inactive threads
trev

Post by trev » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 pm

We are also considering blocking your ADSL connection when you reach 47 gb downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period by 'sending you' to a page that warns you that any further downloads will cost you and that you agree that you have been advised of this happening by you restoring your internet connection.
Sounds like an excellent idea - no more "I wasn't old" threads :)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm

trev wrote:
We are also considering blocking your ADSL connection when you reach 47 gb downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period by 'sending you' to a page that warns you that any further downloads will cost you and that you agree that you have been advised of this happening by you restoring your internet connection.
Sounds like an excellent idea - no more "I wasn't old" threads :)

....that's the reason we are considering doing it....

Edwin

Re: No Notification of changes to my ADSL conditions

Post by Edwin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:31 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We are also considering blocking your ADSL connection when you reach 47 gb downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period by 'sending you' to a page that warns you that any further downloads will cost you and that you agree that you have been advised of this happening by you restoring your internet connection.
Hopefully this will be an opt-out system?
I'd hate to be on a holiday and find that my automatic backups would have failed for a few weeks because I went over quota. I prefer just paying the $3/GB.

ForumAdmin

Re: No Notification of changes to my ADSL conditions

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Edwin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We are also considering blocking your ADSL connection when you reach 47 gb downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period by 'sending you' to a page that warns you that any further downloads will cost you and that you agree that you have been advised of this happening by you restoring your internet connection.
Hopefully this will be an opt-out system?
I'd hate to be on a holiday and find that my automatic backups would have failed for a few weeks because I went over quota. I prefer just paying the $3/GB.
I think that could be arranged if it was put in place.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm

That would be great!

tycannah

Post by tycannah » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for the update. I fully concur with Exetel creating a block at 47Gb so that it becomes a conscious action for the customer to extend his liability at $3 per Gb after 48 Gb. In that way Exetel will not be placed in the uncomfortable position of addressing questions about insufficient notification to users.
May I suggestion that you notify customers that received this non-factual email in January with one that restates Exetels plan policy for downloads, any new policies such as the block and activate at 47 Gb and clarification on any other pertinent issues in this long forum topic.
I believe that it is always in the best interest of a business to immediately correct known mistakes and not leave the customer pondering why they havent.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 pm

While the notification script has come in a month early and has caused confusion, I personally think it's actually a good thing. The confusion has at least made people aware of the charge early, rather than being stung.

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 am

If you are going to do this for off-peak usage, why wouldn't you also do it for peak usage - particularly as it is easier to go over your peak usage quota than your off peak and the consequence is the same. Personally I think this wouldn't be all that useful - anyone downloading more than 48Gb in a month isn't going to be doing it by browsing web pages. Would you block all traffic until the 'Accept additional charges' page is agreed to?

At the moment the Monthly Usage Report on the User Facilities shows your remaining Peak Quota. This should now include remaining Off Peak Quota as well.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 am

dsc68 wrote:
If you are going to do this for off-peak usage, why wouldn't you also do it for peak usage - particularly as it is easier to go over your peak usage quota than your off peak and the consequence is the same. Personally I think this wouldn't be all that useful - anyone downloading more than 48Gb in a month isn't going to be doing it by browsing web pages. Would you block all traffic until the 'Accept additional charges' page is agreed to?

At the moment the Monthly Usage Report on the User Facilities shows your remaining Peak Quota. This should now include remaining Off Peak Quota as well.
We will consider doing those things.

CrackerJak

Re: Reminder Of 12 Midnight To 12 Noon Conditions

Post by CrackerJak » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Edit: Questions already answered, thanks Klaas
Last edited by CrackerJak on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klaas

Re: Reminder Of 12 Midnight To 12 Noon Conditions

Post by Klaas » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 pm

CrackerJak wrote: Can anyone explain this email please, the first post in this thread states the changes do not come into affect until feb 1st. Was the email premature or am i being charged $3 per gig now for off peak usage?

My apologies if this question has already been answered but does the $3 excess charge on off peak times mean that excetel is getting rid of the control groups, yellow orange etc
As had been mentioned earlier in this thread, yes, the email is premature, and the charge does not go into effect until 1st Feb 2008.

On the same day, the pooling will be turned off.

CrackerJak

Post by CrackerJak » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Sorry mate, I was a little tripped out. I have since read every post on this thread and am now up to date with the issue.

I strongly support the opinions of others for a larger data allowance without paying $3 per gig. I hope the savings the p2p cache and the reigning in of off peak abusers will result in plan price reductions or new better value plans.

Excetel had the foresight to install a p2p cache, so you know bit torrent traffic is booming and now dominates world wide internet traffic. Hopefully you will be able to fill the growing desire for larger data allowances.:roll:

P.S what happens to the excess data from off peak times that will no longer be used, or at least vastly reduced?

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:53 am

Exetel have always been fairly flexible with the off-peak quotas. When I joined, it was 36gb.

To increase it now, though, could possibly be seen as a bad move. With the recent problems we've had around midnight, I think increasing it would only exacerbate the problem.

However, I'm sure at some point it will once again be improved upon.

chomeop

Post by chomeop » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Bloody people who abuse it!!

in 6months the most off peak downloading i have done is 61GB every other month it is 1 or 2GB over or under!

people who abuse the system really give me the sh*ts! >:|

fester

Post by fester » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:16 pm

possum22 wrote:381,169= 284kB/s average, only someone on a 8mb/Adsl2+ plan?
174915 is possible on 1500 adsl1 plan.
Getting over 72GB on a 512 plan would bit of task! if at all possible, need an average of 53+ kB/s.
Nah I did 76 easy once with another isp just before they went bust..........