Page 4 of 8

Re: automatic email notification

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm
by PossiblyNotBob
Legend wrote:
rikeshr wrote:can we have some automatic email notification when the limit has been reached?
You could always just try using the Toid's Exetel usage meter.
Very good idea- awesome little app..

http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/xtlusage.phtml

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37 am
by Edwin
CoreyPlover wrote:48Gb is plenty for everybody, not just Mums and Dads. I have not yet met a single person who requires more than 48Gb in legimate usage.
I disagree, I'm only downloading legitimately (a nightly rsync backup of a mail server) which over the past months has seen my off peak download increase from about 30 GB in Oct to 45 GB in Dec. I'm not sure where I will end up, but most likely it will increase every month.

So there are some who do use their downloads for legitimate stuff.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:21 am
by CLoSeR
Edwin wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:48Gb is plenty for everybody, not just Mums and Dads. I have not yet met a single person who requires more than 48Gb in legimate usage.
I disagree, I'm only downloading legitimately (a nightly rsync backup of a mail server) which over the past months has seen my off peak download increase from about 30 GB in Oct to 45 GB in Dec. I'm not sure where I will end up, but most likely it will increase every month.

So there are some who do use their downloads for legitimate stuff.
Your needs are pushing the boundaries of a residential account, since you are using this service for business requirements.

You are the exception.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am
by thomashouseman
Not everyone that has a mail server is a business.

I run one for my family.

I've recently setup mail server mirroring for backup purposes on a 2nd pc.

My next move is to move this pc to my brothers house for safety/security reasons / backup purposes. I will then also be running the above 24/7.

T.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 pm
by CoreyPlover
thomashouseman wrote:Not everyone that has a mail server is a business.

I run one for my family
Yeah, but a family email server is unlikely to generate 45Gb of monthly traffic, is it?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:34 pm
by thomashouseman
I guess that depends if it loses it's replication /mirror status and whether it needs to re-build it.

Current storage is at 20gb and growing (it also hosts and mirrors my web photo albums as well and Canon 350d photos use a lot of HDD data!)

See www.surgemail.com - great email server. Surgeplus options give blogs and web albums etc too...

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:55 pm
by CoreyPlover
thomashouseman wrote:I guess that depends if it loses it's replication /mirror status and whether it needs to re-build it.
In which case, would it be reasonable to assume you would prefer to physically transport the backup rather than incur 20Gb of bandwidth? Either way, this is an infrequent event.
thomashouseman wrote:Current storage is at 20gb and growing (it also hosts and mirrors my web photo albums as well and Canon 350d photos use a lot of HDD data!)
Sounds about right, but 20Gb of total size and growing equates to, what, about 1Gb of incremental synchronisation bandwidth per month. Still nowhere near 48Gb.

If you are using 48Gb of monthly remote synchronised bandwidth, either your corporation is large (upwards of 50-100 people?), or you are doing something wrong (i.e. synchronising whole mailboxes each incremental backup instead of just differences)

Warning Email

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 pm
by toast
I thought I'd do all my downloading before the end of January to take advantage of my 72GB this month. However I got an email from exetel today
Dear: ME

This is an automated warning that you have downloaded 54407 MB in the period 12 midnight to 12 noon so far this month.

You are reminded that if your downloads exceed 48 gb in this period in any month you will be charged excess usage of $3.00 per gb or part thereof.

Regards

Exetel Billing Team
I thought that January had the limit of 72GB and Febuary was 48GB before the $3.00 kicked in. Am I wrong?

Cheers

Re: Warning Email

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 pm
by CoreyPlover
toast wrote:I thought that January had the limit of 72GB and Febuary was 48GB before the $3.00 kicked in. Am I wrong?
February should be the start of the 48Gb hard limit. This was probably just a warning notice to alert users to their downloading habits (because otherwise users would say that Exetel didn't warn them about the changes).

PS: 54Gb in just over 1 week, hey?

Re: Warning Email

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 am
by toast
CoreyPlover wrote:PS: 54Gb in just over 1 week, hey?
Well prior to Christmas I was always under 30gb but I got something for Christmas added 45gb of stuff that I would have otherwise not bothered with.

Re: Warning Email

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 am
by Legend
toast wrote:I thought I'd do all my downloading before the end of January to take advantage of my 72GB this month.
Don't you mean 48GB? That's the amount that's included in your plan, not 72GB

Re: Reminder Of 12 Midnight To 12 Noon Conditions

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:26 am
by thomashouseman
ForumAdmin wrote:December was the first month that Exetel charged for usage in this period - people who downloaded more than 72 gb in this period were charged $3.00 per gb or part thereof.

From February 1st 2008 downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon wil be charged for downloads over 48 gb in that period.
Well I guess you can look at this sideways and reason that you get invoiced in Feb for January's usage.... However I'm with you in thinking they've jut setup the automated warning message early.... For safety's sake though I'd try to get an answer from ForumAdmin.

Re: Warning Email

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 am
by CoreyPlover
Legend wrote:Don't you mean 48GB? That's the amount that's included in your plan, not 72GB
At the moment, 48Gb is the point at which you become pooled, but 72Gb is the point where excess usage charges commence. In February, this pooling between 48Gb and 72Gb will be removed and a single, 48Gb limit / $3 per Gb excess charge put in it's place.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:28 am
by thomashouseman
But that's not what the email "Toast" got send above says.... it warned him that he will be charged THIS month for any excess charges over 48gb... was this just a warning email that's been activated a month early or have Exetel changed their mind about when the excess charges will start from?

Re: Warning Email

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 am
by ForumAdmin
toast wrote:I thought I'd do all my downloading before the end of January to take advantage of my 72GB this month. However I got an email from exetel today
Dear: ME

This is an automated warning that you have downloaded 54407 MB in the period 12 midnight to 12 noon so far this month.

You are reminded that if your downloads exceed 48 gb in this period in any month you will be charged excess usage of $3.00 per gb or part thereof.

Regards

Exetel Billing Team
I thought that January had the limit of 72GB and Febuary was 48GB before the $3.00 kicked in. Am I wrong?

Cheers
It was a scripting error which will be corrected for future emails this month (it was the script for next month).

This month (January 2008) the 12 midnight to 12 noon download limit is 72 gb before you get charged.