Reminder Of 12 Midnight To 12 Noon Conditions

Old, inactive threads
trev12

Post by trev12 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:24 pm

what i cant understand is if u are on 48 gig on and 48 gig off what is the use of offpeak why not just have 96 gig all up ? because off peak doesnt mean anything now

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:50 pm

trev12 wrote:why not just have 96 gig all up ? because off peak doesnt mean anything now
What don't you understand about the difference of having 48gb per specific 12 hour period versus being able to have 96gb in any 12 hour period? :shock:

There is a clear difference with the restriction of each of the 48gb allocations being assigned to a specifc 12 hour period as opposed to 96gb in total being availabe at any time

Exetel capacity planning / requirements would need to be adjusted if everyone could allocate the total of both their current peak and off peak allocations at any time

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 pm

trev12 wrote:what i cant understand is if u are on 48 gig on and 48 gig off what is the use of offpeak why not just have 96 gig all up ? because off peak doesnt mean anything now
Do you mean yould like no additonal quota to use in off peak?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:47 pm

trev12 wrote:what i cant understand is if u are on 48 gig on and 48 gig off what is the use of offpeak why not just have 96 gig all up ? because off peak doesnt mean anything now
It probably all boils down to the fact that not everybody is on equal peak and non-peak quotas. Allow me to explain.

Because of the structure of the plans, (8, 12, 16, 24, 36 or 48Gb peak vs 48Gb off-peak) when you average across all users, you probably end up with twice to 3 times as much off-peak quota compared to peak. Because of this disparity, you naturally get people pushing 2 to 3 times more downloads into the off-peak times. This necessarily creates congestion during off-peak and so indirectly gives you "fast" and "slow" downloading times. You can then interpret this as "premium" and "pooled" periods.

This distinction makes a lot of sense, because users need to pay for more "premium" period downloads in their monthly ammounts. The "pooled" / "slow" / off-peak period is free in that everybody can participate equitably. So by separating into peak and non-peak, the users who pay higher monthly fees can download more data at high speeds.

If you abolished peak and off-peak times then users who pay higher monthly fees would still be able to download more data, but only at average speeds equal to everybody else; not as much value for money.

If you abolished peak and off-peak times, and abolished the 48Gb off-peak bonus, then you would return to an equitable arrangement again, but again, this wouldn't be very good value for money.

One of the attractions of Exetel is the equal sized "bonus" quota of 48Gb. The only way they can offer this bonus fairly (i.e. provide value to high monthly fee paying users) is to ensure that a two-tier system is created.

master

Post by master » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:36 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
If Exetel take your view with the 48gb off peak removed they could set a pro rata system - ie 8GB/8GB, 12GB/12GB etc etc, not good for many dont you think. The 48GB is pretty generous, especially if your on the low end plans and who knows exetel may adjust their plans in the future :roll:

crazyjohno

Post by crazyjohno » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:58 am

Anyone that is following this thread, i spoke via "Live Support" this morning to JamesD and DylanF about the following in my situation

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Email " 12 midnight to 12 noon"
Not receiving any information on this change
When is the 48GB limit being enforced from
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The outcome was, that i will not be charge for going over the 48GB in the month of Jan 2008, excluding if i go over the 72GB limit i will receive the $3/GB fee.(Which is a fair price). The email concerned was one from the earlier stated email in this thread and is a scripting issue.

The 48GB limit will be enforced starting the 1st Feb 2008, and if i go over this set limit i will incur $3/GB fee (which is a fair price)

In reference to not receiving any information of this change, was not looked into. As to the staff assisted myself in the required information via the "Live Support" to a very satisfactory level. Lucky the scripting error had occurred, this brought it to my family and i, attention.

I don't want to be misinterpreted as being over friendly to the side of Exetel or any other party.
I offer the above information to help any person(s) that may require such said information.
So please use the "Live Support" and give the staff time to review and respond.

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 pm

I also received that email this morning about going over the 48GB limit. I thought the scripting error was fixed?

crazyjohno

Post by crazyjohno » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm

@ Jazza

I wasn't told directly told that the scripting error was still an error.

I was initially speaking with DylanF and JamesD came in to correct a comment of his stating that "i would be charged the $3/GB after 72GB" for this month, Jan 2008, and "starting next month the $3/GB would be charged for excess over the 42GB (CORRECtION: "48GB")" (not word for word, but to the effect of).

So, i assume it is still and error, and likewise i informed them that there may still be a scripting error and that they may receive more quires due to the email from other clients.

Hope that is of assistance mate.
Last edited by crazyjohno on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks for that CrazyJohno. I saved this image just in case: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2568/quotasd5.jpg

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Jazza wrote:Thanks for that CrazyJohno. I saved this image just in case: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2568/quotasd5.jpg
Haha. I suppose better safe than sorry. There are a number of free web archiving services which will store a web page as at a given time if you wanted a third-party, verifiable snapshot of information posted to this forum (I've come across Hanzo:Web in my searching).

But you can rest assured that you will not be charged for excess off-peak usage between 48Gb and 72Gb in the month of January. This charge will not commence until 1 Feb 2008.

Yeah

Post by Yeah » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:30 pm

got the email too,came here just to check that its extra usage charges apply after 72gigs and not 48gig this month,after reading this thread it looks like it still is.
good....
just making sure :),
better not be getting a nasty bill at the end of the month...

wokii

Post by wokii » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:43 am

well I just found this thread after i got an email from exetel saying im over my 48gb and gunna get charged $3 per gig ect... I've never knew that they were changing there plans to charge after 48gb, only after 72gb.

How can they change a plan and not let there customers know?
If i had known i would have stopped downloading.

I recieved an email on the 2.12.07 as below.

"As we previously advised you at the beginning of October 2007 there will be a change to the operation of the 12 midnight to 12 noon period download accounting.

The current download allowance, for all current plans is 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period - which for over 99% of Exetel customers is never exceeded.

From December 1st 2007 if any user exceeds this 'soft' limit of 48 gb in any calendar month they will, as been the case since we began offering this part of the service on March 1st 2004, be allocated a separate bandwidth 'pipe' that will affect download speeds. This slowing will remain in place for the month in which they exceed the 48 gb 'soft' limit.

From December 2007 if a customer exceeds 72 gb of downloads in the period 12 midnight to 12 noon in any calendar month the limiting of their download speeds will be removed but the excess downloads above 72 gb in any calendar month will be charged at $3.00 per gigabyte or part thereof. "

Then my next email was a notification about not sending email ect..
"This is the last email that Exetel will send you (apart from notifying you of any changes to your specific ADSL plan)."

Then my last one is this. 19.1.08
"This is an automated warning that you have downloaded 48762 MB in the period 12 midnight to 12 noon so far this month.

You are reminded that if your downloads exceed 48 gb in this period in any month you will be charged excess usage of $3.00 per gb or part thereof. "
"You are reminded "? HOW can i be reminded when i never got my NOTIFICATION About the Changes to my PLAN????

EXETEL pick up your act. And let customers KNOW when there plans change.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 am

Exetel have let users know. Apart from a few threads here as well as much discussion in the Live Support on this issue, Exetel had introduced an improved announcement system - for which the announcement was made 21st of December - which had you followed up on I'm sure you would have received a notification that this was hoppening. And I've known about it since well before then.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 pm

wokii wrote: EXETEL pick up your act. And let customers KNOW when there plans change.
Exetel have let customers know several times, end of discussion.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

wokii

Post by wokii » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:48 pm

I AM A CUSTOMER AND I WAS NOT TOLD !

I don't need to come onto the fourms unless i have a problem.
I haven't had any problems for sometime. So i haven't been on the fourms.

Fourms arn't the place to notify Customers of there Plans details changing.
Even in their emails they state they will tell me if it changes, only one to say i would be charged if i went over 72gb"s .I DID NOT! recieve any email advising me that the plans were changing to 48gb or even a link to a fourm page ect.. about this topic . So how would i know it's changing if they havn't sent me an email like they said they would and I have no reason to vist the fourms So how would I know?

I was just venting a little anger i guess. I don't really care that they have changed the plan It is still a great plan. But i still would of liked to know before getting a reminder saying it's going to cost me more.
So Exetel I DID NOT get an email notifying me of the changes so maybe some others didn't get one either.
Last edited by wokii on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.