Unbelievable slow speed during the off peak time !!!HELP

Old, inactive threads
D.X

Post by D.X » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm

thought id add my experiences to the list. im currently on the optus INC phone A plan, using a billion 7300

for the past week or so id say im getting quite poor pings to wow during the offpeak period. in general i get say 400-500ms, but once its past midnight itll shootup to at least 800, not uncommon for it to be 1000 - even had a stage when it was 4000-5000 for a good 30mins. ive read the other thread regarding the temp. wow latency fix, but from what i understand the latest patch did all of that for us.

its not jus wow either, playing other games via direct ip to friends who live 15mins away im experiencing the same type of problem - lots of delay n lag.

as far as speeds go, varies, i managed to pull a public torrent at 680kb/s last night but prior to that i could only max out at around 200 and that was off my newserver account. i sync at around 7000/700 so i guess its been a bit slow last few days, nothing too bad. web browsing also seems slow than normal, dont know if its speed related or losing packets

problems only seems to occur during the offpeak period and solves themselves past around 3 or 4am where pings and speeds return to normal. during the rest of the time, connection is a breeze, no ping or speed issues at all

anything i or an exetel rep can do to investigate/improve the situation?

Forky

Post by Forky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:33 pm

dogwomble wrote:The issue, as I understand it based on discussions in another thread, is that there is a possible issue between the new PeerApp cache and the NetEnforcer which is causing higher than expected spikes around midnight. I haven't checked the threads recently, but last I heard it had been handed to PeerApp to try and find an explanation.
Well, if anyone would care to pay attention to the Powertel Link to Exetel they might notice its showing all its bandwidth being used.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Forky wrote:Well, if anyone would care to pay attention to the Powertel Link to Exetel they might notice its showing all its bandwidth being used.
That's being treated as a separate issue, as far as I know. There were recent upgrades to some ADSL1 links, and recent blog posts by some Exetel staff have shown that others are on the way. But I digress.

What I refer to here is the issues with spikes between midnight and 3-4am, which I believe is being investigated by the PeerApp and/or NetEnforcer crowds. This is probably more critical in the sense that it would affect a larger number of users, however I'm still not quite clear on the response as yet.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

In http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... =90#194646, ForumAdmin states:
...the cache delivers a peak of 600 mbps of additional bandwidth at the moment - i.e.it has added almost 30% additional 'bandwidth' and is actually 'too successful' at the moment as it is causing congestion at midnight for around 45 minues each night and will cause us to rebalance the network over the next week.

mm0

Post by mm0 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

for the last couple of days my download speed during off peak has been completely annoying me. The maximum download rate I can reach during this period is approx. 21Kb/s, and as soon as its peak hours my speed increases reasonably. Is there anything being done to fix this problem?

jaffa

Post by jaffa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm

my off peak has speeds have been around 7-10kbs/sec for downloads and web browsing usually times out over the last 2 nights.

Very frustrating as I generally down a lot of web browsing early in the mornings.

Once it closes to around 12 noon, it gets better as well.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:00 am

The shaping pools (or related technology) would produce that.. Alternatively, the only other cause is mass network saturation, but that's what the P2P shaper is supposed to do.

It might be incorrectly classifying web browsing.?

Impact

Post by Impact » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 am

just wondering when this off peak problem will be fixed ?

its like impossible to do anything on off peak

Maz

Post by Maz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:38 am

Wow. Double whammy for me. Powertel user and someone who wants to use HTTP at night.

My download speed has nearly doubled since midnight and now I almost have a very basic ADSL1 service from my ADSL2+ connection which is syncing at 15273 Kbps right now.

Test run on 10/02/2008 @ 03:08 AM
Mirror: Exetel
Data: 15 MB
Test Time: 276.33 secs
Your line speed is 454 kbps (0.45 Mbps).
Your download speed is 57 KB/s (0.06 MB/s).

I have logged a support call with Exetel and all I get is 2 phone calls a day, playing the same recorded message, "At the moment, your issue is being investigated by the supplier". How do I make these phone calls stop? The last 2 haven't even played the message. All I got was the phone ringing, and when I answered, silence.

You'd be angry to get these speeds from a rubbish ADSL1 service.
There appears to be no solutions or plans to fix this coming from exetel, or if they are trying to fix the problem, they aren't telling the people affected.

I've been investigating other ISP's (I'm considering an upgrade to ADSL1 from another provider) and TPG is the cheapest at the moment. Just to save everyone else a bit of time. But if everyone moves to TPG is their service going to collapse in a screaming heap or are they going to invest money in providing an adequate service so that they can keep their customers? First person to find out let us know?

Maz

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:05 am

If you email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your phone number, and ask for the phone calls to stop, then they should be able to do that for you if they're starting to annoy you.

If it's got this far, I'd suggest that switching to another ISP might not necessarily resolve the issue. They've obviously logged it as a line fault - ie. something that has occurred between the exchange and your premises - and this will probably still exist if you churn to another ISP (where you'll have to start the process all over again).

Unfortunately, there are some delays at the moment with activation and faults and these are outside the hands of Exetel. As a recent email stated, these have been caused by recent flooding etc. of certain parts of the country which are being treated with priority (and the way I understand this, I'd imagine resources have been redeployed to get it fixed ASAP).

Maz

Post by Maz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 am

As you might have read. The line still syncs at nearly 16000k. This is not a line fault. Sometimes during the day I still get fantastic speeds like I used to get when I signed up. These times are just not frequent enough to call this an ADSL2+ service. If Exetel have logged this as a line fault then they're just wasting Telstra's and my time, (I logged my fault before we started even getting this rain). If I had a visio diagram of Exetels netowrk (i'm sure i've seen this before), with enough detail, I could troubleshoot it via multiple speed tests from multiple locations including a few from different ISP's at the same exchange, etc but in the end I'm still not going to have the service I'm paying for, or any real chance of getting the issue resolved.
Maz

Razza

Post by Razza » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 pm

So what's the answer Exetel?

If off peak isn't giving us ADSL2+ speeds what are we paying for? We agree to pay you the money each month and you agree to give us adsl2+ service.

Breach of contract?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:30 pm

Razza wrote:So what's the answer Exetel?

If off peak isn't giving us ADSL2+ speeds what are we paying for? We agree to pay you the money each month and you agree to give us adsl2+ service.

Breach of contract?
Please read your contract carefully before spouting stupid statements.

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Where would one find their exetel contract?
I don't appear to have one in my emails and I can't find it on the website. I'm possibly just looking in the wrong place.
Maz

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Maz wrote:Where would one find their exetel contract?
I don't appear to have one in my emails and I can't find it on the website. I'm possibly just looking in the wrong place.
Maz
http://www.exetel.com.au/adsl2_terms.php