Unbelievable slow speed during the off peak time !!!HELP

Old, inactive threads
Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Cheers buddy.
I hope everyone gets a chance to read this.
Maz

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:18 pm

A few things of note from a quick look at the contract.

17.5 This type of service is of residential grade.

Where residential grade service means a service that does not carry a service level agreement, or a guarantee of uptime. (Exetel imply and express no warranties as to it's suitability or availability for any purpose. Exetel doesn't recommend residential grade services for business needs, or mission critical purposes.)

Really what this is going to come down to is either.. Exetel fix the problem, People get over it and keep using the service because it's convenient. Or Exetel points out they have no requirement to fix these problems quickly and tells all their customers to go jump. Not sure if they think bad PR will have an effect on their customers and rate of signup or not but personally I couldn't recommend the service to anyone at the moment.

If you want a better understanding of what level of service you're paying for, read the full contract (it is quite long so get some coffee) and you'll realise that there is no obligation to provide us with a reasonable level of service. So you can pay (i think its $100?) to cancel your contract or just wait it out, then find another service.
Maz

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:59 pm

Well, that's almost the crux of it Maz. There are (generally speaking) two "levels" of Internet service available to end users in Australia.

The first is "Residential Grade", which is what you are likely to find in the average home. These are generally provided on a "Best Effort" basis, and most/all residential grade services include provisions that you have pointed out. Essentially, "we'll do the best we can to provide the service, but somethings things may go wrong, and for various reasons they can't all be fixed straight away". Generally, this is more than suitable for most people because hey, if it doesn't work, there's always playing sports with the kids in the backyard or going down the pub.

The second is "Business Grade". The primary difference between the two is the provision of an SLA on most Business Grade services. This SLA basically says that "things can and do go wrong, and when they do and it's our problem, we'll have it fixed in x amount of time and by the way we guarantee a little more too". You pay a bit (or maybe a lot) more, but essentially you're paying for something to be fixed quick if it breaks (which require more resources and, therefore, will always cost at least a little bit more).

Either way, though, the limits on the technology and policy/procedure must be taken into account and I think most misunderstandings come about purely because there are either limits on the technology that somebody doesn't understand, or there's a policy/procedure (often from 'higher up the foodchain') that must be followed or otherwise things don't get done (at least not without significant risk of charges or looking like a bit of an idiot if things turn out to be something simple that would have been covered by such a 'procedure').

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Maz, your summary of the contract in the above post sums it all up pretty well: Contractually, Exetel make no guarantees on residential grade services, etc. and a $100 exit fee is available for those who wish to seek an alternate service.

However, I'd like to point out that Exetel's objectives go well beyond the minimalistic contractual obligations that you have alluded to. I have been a customer for a fair while now and although they may be experiencing off-peak difficulties at the moment, their average level of service over the term of my contract has been absolutely phenomenal and there are numerous aspects of Exetel that you will not find in any other ISP in Australia (P2P caching, transparency of operations, etc). This is why Exetel are one of the 50 fastest growing companies for the previous year, and this is without the aid of any traditional advertising, so they must be doing something right.

Exetel have never told any customers to "go jump". Some customers have had their service terminated for breech of contract or open abuse but to suggest that Exetel do not care about their level of service or their customers is incredibly rude and unappreciative. Every user is entitled to their own opinions, and if the level of service is not sufficient for you to recommend Exetel to others at the moment, then that is fine. But to imply that Exetel is a substandard ISP from your limited experience alone is rather presumptious of you and very misleading to other readers

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:52 pm

Corey,
Rude and unappreciative? It's unfortunate that I don't share your opinion of Exetel and that my opinion may only be based on the quality of the service for the last 7 months or so. If you want to call that a limited experience with an ISP then that's fine too. I accept that going with a cheaper service may have certain downsides when it comes to support and service, I knew that when I signed up. However, having done everything in my control to resolve my speed issues (not just off-peak), and still getting nowhere, I have no reason to believe that the level of service is going to be improved in the near future. Ideally, seeing I am locked in a contract for some time yet, I would like to have an adequate level of service for that time and that is more than long enough for me to change my opinions of the company.

My experience is limited by the fact that I only have the one service to base my opinions on, out of undoubtably tens of thousands or more. If no one else has a problem then this is hardly going to persuade them to change ISP's. Personally I am sick of the excuses and buck passing in what seems to me to be a time wasting exercise. I am only one customer, what difference will I make? I won't be pretending that my service is somehow better having heard how wonderful Exetel have been for you. Congratulations for you. It is with no ill will that I wish you the best of luck with Exetel in the future. I will be taking my business elsewhere unless the quality of the service improves significantly, (I'd be lucky if my bandwidth is 100KB/s on average, on and off peak).

Hopefully you can accept that everyone else does not have the experience with Exetel that you have and you'll be much happier browsing these forums.
Maz

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:04 am

Maz wrote:Hopefully you can accept that everyone else does not have the experience with Exetel that you have and you'll be much happier browsing these forums.
This is exactly the reason why I volunteer so much of my time to posting in these forums.

Maz

Post by Maz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I only just found the exetel speed test site (http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php) and thought I'd give it a go.

Your current bandwidth reading is:
641.50kbps
which means you can download at 80.19 KB/sec. from our servers.

The current local time is 9:43pm EST. This puts me in a similar speed bracket to 512k limited ADSL1 when I have ADSL2+ and a downstream line speed of exactly 15273 Kbps right now. Is this standard? Do I create a new thread for people who are getting these speeds 24/7, not just off-peak?
Maz

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:55 pm

That test is completely inaccurate.

I don't believe they transfer enough data to obtain an accurate result.

Maz

Post by Maz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:36 am

How much would you like me to transfer? From where? Last time I did this at the request of Exetel staff, I simultaneously downloaded data from 4 large sites and the max total speed was about 200KB/s. That was also at an ideal time of day.

This is literally how my service runs. Online gaming has become aggrivating and impossible. Streaming media is a joke. How long before VoIP stops working?

Feel free to give me some kind of test to indicate that this is not an Exetel problem. I've even found other people with different providers on the same exchange and we've all downloaded from multiple sites at the same time just to make sure it's not a problem with the exchange being too busy, (this was so I could find out if it was worth cancelling this service and changing to another provider. For the same amount each month I'd get 20% less bandwidth and a 600% speed increase).
Suggestions?
Maz

light487

Post by light487 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:30 am

I am also experiencing the same thing. It's a few days in a row now (where I have actually paid attention to speeds) that between midnight and midday the speeds are EXTREMELY slow. The line speed still says 3.5mbit but the download speed is approximately a 10th of that. Then after midday everything is great again.

There was nothing in the contract that I agreed to about having my speed shaped between midnight and midday.. only that it was the off-peak time when I was allowed to download more gigabytes. I decided on Exetel because people had said it was a stable connection with not that many drop-outs. This is true.. it is stable and doesn't drop-out but the speeds really suck between midnight and midday. And the speeds are great during peak times which is great.. but what about the other half of the day.

What is occurring here is that I am effectively paying monthly broadband prices for a dialup connection speed for 15 days and broadband speed for 15 days. I have only been with Exetel for about 2 weeks now, and I certainly hope this is not the norm. I asked the Live Help people yesterday and their only comment was that there were no current faults reported, neither internally nor externally to Exetel servers.

I understand that there are always bottlenecks in services, not just internet, that come out of seemingly nowhere. I have been an internet user for over 16 years.. so I understand how tricky it is to identify the problems and sort it out.

My questions are really just: Is there a problem? Is there an initiative in place to fix it? And what is the estimated time-frame?

funnybunny

Post by funnybunny » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:56 am

Whilst it isn't specified in the contract, I'm sure that Exetel has an obligation to address the very poor connection speeds during their off-peak hours. One option would be to allow users to decline a off-peak "unlimited downloads" service, if the speed remains of the service the same (I would be happy to do this). I just wonder what the NSW ombudsman would say about this issue (considering the free downloads are attracting new customers, it shouldn't affect the service of others).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 am

funnybunny wrote:Whilst it isn't specified in the contract, I'm sure that Exetel has an obligation to address the very poor connection speeds during their off-peak hours. One option would be to allow users to decline a off-peak "unlimited downloads" service, if the speed remains of the service the same (I would be happy to do this). I just wonder what the NSW ombudsman would say about this issue (considering the free downloads are attracting new customers, it shouldn't affect the service of others).
The decision to incorporate off-peak allowances was a business decision made by Exetel. The option to opt-out of such off-peak would likewise be a business decision but one that I seriously doubt that Exetel will implement. Removal of the off-peak will have large impacts on the service provided during peak-time and it is important to realise that the plans offered by Exetel are structured to meet the requirements of all user, and not just users (such as yourself?) who access the internet during post-midnight / early morning hours.

The issues are likely to be much more complex than "free downloads are attracting new users and impacting the service of others". For example, heavy and growing P2P usage is a systematic trend across all users, not just new users. Recent weather conditions have affected large areas of Australia. Recent accidents to the undersea international cables have affected international bandwidth. etc.

The ombudsman only has the power to enforce that ISPs are undertaking reasonable actions to resolve or otherwise mitigate customer complaints. I am very sure that Exetel are fulfilling these obligations.

funnybunny

Post by funnybunny » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
funnybunny wrote:Whilst it isn't specified in the contract, I'm sure that Exetel has an obligation to address the very poor connection speeds during their off-peak hours. One option would be to allow users to decline a off-peak "unlimited downloads" service, if the speed remains of the service the same (I would be happy to do this). I just wonder what the NSW ombudsman would say about this issue (considering the free downloads are attracting new customers, it shouldn't affect the service of others).
The decision to incorporate off-peak allowances was a business decision made by Exetel. The option to opt-out of such off-peak would likewise be a business decision but one that I seriously doubt that Exetel will implement. Removal of the off-peak will have large impacts on the service provided during peak-time and it is important to realise that the plans offered by Exetel are structured to meet the requirements of all user, and not just users (such as yourself?) who access the internet during post-midnight / early morning hours.

The issues are likely to be much more complex than "free downloads are attracting new users and impacting the service of others". For example, heavy and growing P2P usage is a systematic trend across all users, not just new users. Recent weather conditions have affected large areas of Australia. Recent accidents to the undersea international cables have affected international bandwidth. etc.

The ombudsman only has the power to enforce that ISPs are undertaking reasonable actions to resolve or otherwise mitigate customer complaints. I am very sure that Exetel are fulfilling these obligations.
Actually, I only use the net from 8am till 12midnight, so it's not affecting me as much as others. But I'm pretty sure that at least 40% of users are affected by these poor speeds, and thus exetel should be doing something to fix this.

I believe you misunderstood when i said ""free downloads are attracting new users and impacting the service of others". What I meant is that Exetel can't resolve itself of responsiblity for its poor speeds during off-peak by saying that it's a period of free downloads.

Oh btw, I have been with Exetel for a few years now (ADSL1 and had not problems with it). Only recently have I changed to ADSL2+ and got these problems. Anyway, I'm going to write to the ombudsman and see what they have to say (has anyone tried this already?).

PS: Do you work for exetel?...just wondering....

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:51 am

PS: Do you work for exetel?...just wondering....
No. I just volunteer my time to help troubleshoot people's issues and explain background info that I have garnered from these forum.

Pyroteq

Post by Pyroteq » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:00 am

light487 wrote:What is occurring here is that I am effectively paying monthly broadband prices for a dialup connection speed for 15 days and broadband speed for 15 days.