light487

Post by light487 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 am

OzTest (as recommended by Live Support):
Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 16/02/2008 @ 08:07 AM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 19.41 secs

Your line speed is 1.26 Mbps (1262 kbps).
Your download speed is 158 KB/s (0.15 MB/s).

Exetel's Speed Test:
Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.90 Mbps

which means you can download at 243.73 KB/sec. from our servers

And yet I still can't stream more than a few seconds of YouTube at a time, it has to buffer for a few seconds, then it plays another few seconds, then it buffers a few seconds and so on.

I can't connect to be song collaboration server AT ALL, let alone stay connected (like last night).

Current Modem Stats
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 3599 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1022 kbps
VPI 8
VCI 35

So where's the other 1.5mbits ? And why is the connection speed so unstable?

krismartin

Post by krismartin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 pm

I signed up with Exetel for Naked ADSL2 service about a month ago and always had issue with the speed and the VOIP.

I am getting on average around 50-60KB/s download speed on off-peak hour and 400-600kbps line speed from OzTest.

I lodged a fault ticket a few times already, but no one seems to be able to help me. At one stage Exetel advised me that the issue has been 'resolved' just after an hour I lodged a fault ticket at 8:36pm on Friday night?!?!

"Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Service rebuilt done, Would you please power cycle the modem for 15minutes first,

http://www.ozspeedtest.com (please provide 3 speed test results)

Please reply with the results."

I don't even know what they mean by "service rebuilt done".

Below is the latest result from OzTest:

OzTest Result

Test run on 16/02/2008 @ 11:59 AM

Test Time: 60.79 secs

Your line speed is 403 kbps (0.4 Mbps).
Your download speed is 50 KB/s (0.05 MB/s).

Current Modem Stats

Netcom NB9W
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 69
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 17003
SNR Margin (dB) - Downstream: 9.0
SNR Margin (dB) - Upstream: 8.7
Attenuation (dB) - Downstream: 26.5
Attenuation (dB) - Upstream: 15.2
Output Power (dBm) - Downstream: 0.0
Output Power (dBm) - Upstream: 12.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps) - Downstream: 19432
Attainable Rate (Kbps) - Upstream: 80

I am seriously thinking of paying the $100 cancellation fee to save the headache and move on to a different ISP.

echan

Post by echan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:11 am

15 days of dial-up and 15 days of broadband? I dont totally agree. My connection has been slow during non-peak hours, and I've been used to it, yeh been used to it. But in the recent weeks the slowness becomes to stillness. My net is just not moving to anywhere. at the moment, I can't even open my hotmail live.

So I would rather say 15days of no internet and 15 days of broadband.

I believe speed issue is the mostly discussed in this forum, hence the most serious problem for this company. My personal experience with them is just too bad.

wait it's now just past 10am. everything is moving again. hotmail can be opened now. p2p is up a bit. I believe everyone knows why this happens.

I have to say this again. Shame on you, Exetel!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Looking at the usage reports there is no 'saturation at midnight' on any link.

There is also no 'bandwidth provisioning issue' for ADSL2incphone customers.

The ADSL1 services to Victoria and QLD are nearing capacity but they are constanty upgraded.

There may be contentions on backhauls not under Exetel's control and that has happened in the past on Optus links but never on Powertel links and once for a period of around 8 weeks on Telstra backhauls.

However no carrier will ever say that they have contention and there is no way that Exetel can 'prove' that and therefore get a resolution time for it.

light487

Post by light487 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks.. yeh I understand the nature of internet provision. I'm just glad to even have internet at speeds greater than dialup at any time of day. I am a PowerTel connected customer and I am still experiencing the slow-down in off-peak issues. So it's not just Optus related.

If none of those things you outlined are occurring, then I wonder why so many people are reporting it. I'm not trying to be confronting by any means, I'm just curious because it can be extremely frustrating when there is no obvious reason for the slow-downs.

My last post shows that my connection is capable of decent speeds in the off-peak hours yet that is an exception to the rule in many cases, including mine. There may be no contractual obligation to provide a certain level of service, but there are certain expectations and requirements to meet those expectation for customers. I'm sure Exetel is quite aware of them and is doing their best to get everything sorted out and is doing the bets they can under the circumstances.

My only hope is that Exetel is able to stay focused on the real issues and not hide faults and issues from users in the hope that they will be seen as providing a service that they are clearly not providing in some circumstances. I've seen many other larger ISPs do this and it only serves to slowly inspire derisiveness.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Looking at the usage reports there is no 'saturation at midnight' on any link.
I've noticed that the PowerTel link has come pretty damn close to it, assuming the 150mb+ on the MRTG graph is correct. This was mainly Saturday/Sunday and during the week it's less noticeable. I've noticed it has eased this weekend, but the previous two weekends performance was seriously degraded on my link at least. I'm still having a dropout issue which I need to discuss with Martin, but I'm not sure if the two are related somehow, and if the figures on the website are incorrect or there's a further explanation, I don't mind ruling out a possible exchange congestion issue either. Just thought I'd add it to the debate :)

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:25 pm

I notice the Optus link is 450+ mbps. I am just wondering what is meant by the plus and what happens when traffic is pushed beyond 450mbps.

thepigs2

Post by thepigs2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:31 am

i hear its easier to get backhaul from sri lanka to australia than western sydney to city pop.

Maz

Post by Maz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 am

Righto! Straight into it. Seeing the reply today inspired me to do a little testing of my own and the results here are each the average of 3 tests. Pay special attention to the times.

Code: Select all

Test run on 17/02/2008 @ 03:42 PM
Test Time: 3.31 secs
Your line speed is 7.4 Mbps (7401 kbps).
Your download speed is 925 KB/s (0.9 MB/s).

Test run on 17/02/2008 @ 07:12 PM
Test Time: 3.04 secs
Your line speed is 8.05 Mbps (8053 kbps).
Your download speed is 1007 KB/s (0.98 MB/s).

Test run on 18/02/2008 @ 12:03 AM
Test Time: 18.06 secs
Your line speed is 1.36 Mbps (1356 kbps).
Your download speed is 170 KB/s (0.17 MB/s).

Test run on 18/02/2008 @ 12:26 AM
Test Time: 28.51 secs
Your line speed is 859 kbps (0.86 Mbps).
Your download speed is 107 KB/s (0.1 MB/s).

Test run on 18/02/2008 @ 12:45 AM
Test Time: 44.92 secs
Your line speed is 545 kbps (0.55 Mbps).
Your download speed is 68 KB/s (0.07 MB/s).
And the modem stats for today are:

Code: Select all

DSL Status: UP  
DSL Modulation Mode: G.992.5 (ADSL2+)  
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED  
Downstream Rate: 17004 Kbps  
Upstream Rate: 1021 Kbps  
Downstream Margin: 10 db  
Upstream Margin: 12 db  
Downstream Line Attenuation: 28  
Upstream Line Attenuation: 34  
Downstream Transmit Power: 22  
Upstream Transmit Power: 12  
LOS Errors: 0  
I'm not sure what you'd call this if it's not an off-peak problem.
I am on a powertel link from the Toowong exchange in QLD and to try to isolate the problem I've done a few extra tests.

I've tried other modems, (this seems to be a popular suggestion), with the same results. I have done simultaneous speed test from my connection and other users from different ISP's who are also on the Toowong exchange to eliminate the possibility of exchange congestion issues, (giving them results up to 600% my speed at the same time). I have tried multiple computers, (with the same results). 100% isolation test 100% of the time, (I don't have a phone or fax or anything else plugged into the phone line).

I have logged a fault with exetel support only to get 2 phone calls a day with a recorded message saying the fault is being investigated by the supplier, for the last 3 weeks! So I've had this problem for quite a while now and it doesn't appear to be improving.

I don't believe that this is the service I signed up for and I don't care if there is a problem with a supplier further up the chain. There is no problem with my equipment and my line so my only optio nto getting this fixed is to apply pressure to the next people in the chain. If this isn't an Exetel problem I would like to know whose it is and what is being done about getting it fixed.
Maz

thepigs2

Post by thepigs2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:17 am

Exetel, to check for backhaul contention could you...

Produce MRTG graphs of exetel traffic going to individual exchanges (or RASs) by supplier? If would be interesting to see if there are any "flat spots".
And get everyone to download extra hard on the days you are generating the graphs.

Actually it would make more sense to wait until the network was at its quietest then ping flood all customers on a particular exchange and check for flat spots in the graph then. This would hopefully discount bachaul traffic shared amongst other wholesale customers.

Do you have any information on how backhaul is provisioned in an exchange? ie the "bandwidth per port" or something.

James D

Post by James D » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 am

thepigs2 wrote:Exetel, to check for backhaul contention could you...

Produce MRTG graphs of exetel traffic going to individual exchanges (or RASs) by supplier? If would be interesting to see if there are any "flat spots".
And get everyone to download extra hard on the days you are generating the graphs.
This would be good but the suppliers will not offer this information, as far as i know there is no supplier that will open up the details about their backhaul.

Pyroteq

Post by Pyroteq » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am

I made a thread with a similar issue and Exetel deleted it. Nice to know you don't care.

James D

Post by James D » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:48 am

Pyroteq wrote:I made a thread with a similar issue and Exetel deleted it. Nice to know you don't care.
So you answered your own question then, it would have been deleted because there was already an active thread dealing with the same issues?

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:43 am

While you're here James, what about everyone else's questions? What is Exetel's official position on the slow-speeds issue? Is everyone having simultaneous hardware and configuration errors that strike at midnight? Or is there a real problem that will be solved some time in the future?

No need to mince words, just let us know what's going on?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 am

Speeds seem fine to me; Image