Which modem?

Old, inactive threads
Steerpike

Which modem?

Post by Steerpike » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi there

I am trying to figure out which modem is most compatible for using Exetel's ADSL2+ service. I am keen to know those with VoIP functions so I can make VoIP calls using the modem. I also need it to use for heavy bit torrent downloads. I think these days the devices come with many functions like 4 port router and Wi-Fi, so I don mind getting a combine one even though I already have my own wireless mimo router. Not unless its cheaper to buy a standalone modem with VoIP function. Hope I am making sense.

Thanks

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:24 pm

The only Netcomm modem that would suit what you have stated is the NB9W.
For a Billion modem a BiPAC 7404VGO(M).
The only reason i recommended the NB9W is that you stated that you'll be (or are) a heavy Bittorrent user.

My personal point of view if you have bad quality phone lines then the Billion BiPAC 7404VGO(M) is the only way to go. I live in rural NSW and there are always bad phone lines here.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 pm

I agree with Spanner_Man's recommendations: NB9W or Billion 7404VGO(M). A lot of the other modems brands cannot support the large number of NAT requests generated by bittorrent traffic.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:My personal point of view if you have bad quality phone lines then the Billion BiPAC 7404VGO(M) is the only way to go. I live in rural NSW and there are always bad phone lines here.
Thank you all for your response. Just wondering about the bad phone line circumstances. I live in an inner west suburb in Sydney, should I be worried about this? I should be about less than 5km physically away from the Telstra exchange.

Now that I have these 2 choices, where is the best place (retail or online) to buy the hardware? I saw their retail standard prices are in the $300 range. Any idea where I can buy them cheaper? Like a discounted store etc? Thanks again

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 pm

The NB9W via Exetel is $175+$20 shipping = $195
The Billion 7404VGOM at JMG Tech its $244 (the only online store that i found that showed as *in stock* with a quick search)

If you wish just use StaticICE to do a search and make your own choice for the Billion 7404VGOM and Netcomm NB9W
Steerpike wrote:Just wondering about the bad phone line circumstances. I live in an inner west suburb in Sydney, should I be worried about this?
Inner West from memory would be around Bankstown area. It depends really, i cannot fully say as i no longer live in Sydney although its fully up to you which road you decide to "travel". Perhaps someone else that is in your area that is also on ADSL2 could comment/post.

*Edit* Also i forgot to mention before, Exetel only "officially" gives support for Netcomm modems bought through them. You can use any modem you wish, just as long as you are willing to have a little paitence setting it up thats all. Most modems now have a Wizard built into them to help get you online ASAP.

Also if you didn't know already - you don't need to use the Install CD that comes with the modem in order to set it up (unless you use the USB cable which is NOT recommended)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 am

Steerpike wrote:I should be about less than 5km physically away from the Telstra exchange.
If you are more than 4km away from the exchange, you should be worried because you may have issues with almost all ADSL2 modems. The attenuation rises with distance and out past 4-5km you usually have problems getting a clear ADSL2 signal regardless of modem. Having said that, the Billion is one of the top performing modems at high attenuations.

Use http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detail ... ystart.php to check your approximate cable distance.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 am

CoreyPlover wrote: Use http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detail ... ystart.php to check your approximate cable distance.
Thank you for all the advise. As I don't have a landline right now, I did a search based on the telephone number of the day care centre next door. It came out with the following results:
Line of Sight: 178 m
Estimated Cable: 294 m
Estimated Attenuation: 5
Estimated Maximum Speed: 24000

How should I interpret it? Thanks again

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

You can see the address of your exchange on the website, it looks like your very close.

This means you should get good speed.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 am

CLoSeR wrote:You can see the address of your exchange on the website, it looks like your very close.

Thanks for your reply. What does this line mean?

Is it estimated at 24Mbps for this line: Estimated Maximum Speed: 24000 ?

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 am

Steerpike wrote:
CLoSeR wrote:You can see the address of your exchange on the website, it looks like your very close.

Thanks for your reply. What does this line mean?

Is it estimated at 24Mbps for this line: Estimated Maximum Speed: 24000 ?
This is an estimate of your line attenuation based on your estimated distance from the exchange.

I would like to remind you that these are not hard and fast figures, and should be used as a guide only.

You won't know your real line sync speed, or line attenuation until you connect. And theres a very good chance you wont sync at 24Mbps, this is the theoretical max.

I would just apply, and see what happens.

If you want, ask some more questions after your connection is activated.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 am

Essentially, it means you are incredibly close to the exchange. Typical attenuation is about 30dB and lower is better, so 5dB is fantastic. The only problem is that you may be too close to the exchange, but I think you'll find your speeds will be very good.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Essentially, it means you are incredibly close to the exchange. Typical attenuation is about 30dB and lower is better, so 5dB is fantastic. The only problem is that you may be too close to the exchange, but I think you'll find your speeds will be very good.
Thanks for all the replies. Too close looks good! I am delighted! I guess with this info in mind, I should get the Netcomm modem to manage the heavy usage on bit torrent and VoIP calls?

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:The only Netcomm modem that would suit what you have stated is the NB9W.

The only reason i recommended the NB9W is that you stated that you'll be (or are) a heavy Bittorrent user.
Hi Spanner_Man, I found out from my colleague who uses NBW9 on Exetel that he has to restart his modem at least once a day and it doesn't handle heavy usage well when using VoIP or bit torrent. Could it be a one-off instance, or is it happening to others? Will be quite troublesome to restart the modem every time it acts up. Thanks

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Essentially, it means you are incredibly close to the exchange. Typical attenuation is about 30dB and lower is better, so 5dB is fantastic. The only problem is that you may be too close to the exchange, but I think you'll find your speeds will be very good.
Hi

It states the following on my modem homepage:
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 16.3 19.0
Attenuation (dB): 14.5 8.6
Output Power (dBm): 19.0 12.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 14636 584
Rate (Kbps): 10059 506

Does it mean I am getting 10Mbps downloads and 500Kbps upload speed?

Is my attenuation okay? Am I getting average or better than average speed overall? Kindly advise. Thanks

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 am

Steerpike wrote:
Hi

It states the following on my modem homepage:
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 16.3 19.0
Attenuation (dB): 14.5 8.6
Output Power (dBm): 19.0 12.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 14636 584
Rate (Kbps): 10059 506

Does it mean I am getting 10Mbps downloads and 500Kbps upload speed?

Is my attenuation okay? Am I getting average or better than average speed overall? Kindly advise. Thanks
Your assumption is correct, your sync rate is quite good.. Although the upload rate is a bit slow.

Have you tried an isolation test?