TF2 issues - lag to Game Arena servers but others are fine

Old, inactive threads
borat

TF2 issues - lag to Game Arena servers but others are fine

Post by borat » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help.

For the past week I have been having trouble playing Team Fortress 2 on Game Arena servers. It is so laggy it's almost unplayable. The ping displayed next to my name is fine though. And no other players are having lag issues whenver I ask them. When I try any non-GA servers, even NZ servers, everything is perfect. For the past few months GA servers have been perfect too. The problem has been consistent since about last Sunday (13/1), time of day seems to make no difference either.

Any ideas?

Could this be the work of a disgruntled server admin? I'm a pretty good player, and earlier this year I was banned (I DO NOT CHEAT!) from most but not all GA servers... When I complained they said I had to sign up to the GA forums and resolve it through there, but then ban was quickly removed that day anyway (so I didn't bother). I found that very suspicious. Then a week later this starts happening :(

Otherwise could there be any Exetel to Telstra issues that might be causing this lag? I really love this game especially custom maps, and the only servers playing custom maps (appart from empty ones) are Game Arena servers, so if this problem can't be resolved I'll be quite upset.

Once again thanks in advance for any help!

Adam.

edit: Forgot to mention I'm not so knowledgeable in IT stuff, so if you need me to do any traces or tests or whatnot please explain in full how to do it, cheers :)

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:59 am

I've been playing on GameArena servers fine in TF2.

Plan9

Re: TF2 issues - lag to Game Arena servers but others are fi

Post by Plan9 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:21 am

Adam,

I have experienced the exact same problem. I started playing TF2 late late year and had a great connection until the last week or so. I always get pings of around 30-50 ms (I have a 1500kb connection) , but recently I have been getting huge lag on the GA servers, even though the pings look the same. These can be from a couple of seconds to over 10-15 secs (by which time I'm normally dead). Sometimes, it will constantly flick between where I think I should be and where I was a few seconds ago. Sometimes, I'll end up getting disconnected. I haven't tried other servers, because most of the good pings I get are on the GA servers. I thought it might be due to Exetel's high P2P content - this may have been a bit quite over summer, but is now ramping up because the new episdoes of TV shows are being released.

Paul (AKA Plan9)

borat wrote:Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help.

For the past week I have been having trouble playing Team Fortress 2 on Game Arena servers. It is so laggy it's almost unplayable. The ping displayed next to my name is fine though. And no other players are having lag issues whenver I ask them. When I try any non-GA servers, even NZ servers, everything is perfect. For the past few months GA servers have been perfect too. The problem has been consistent since about last Sunday (13/1), time of day seems to make no difference either.

Any ideas?

Could this be the work of a disgruntled server admin? I'm a pretty good player, and earlier this year I was banned (I DO NOT CHEAT!) from most but not all GA servers... When I complained they said I had to sign up to the GA forums and resolve it through there, but then ban was quickly removed that day anyway (so I didn't bother). I found that very suspicious. Then a week later this starts happening :(

Otherwise could there be any Exetel to Telstra issues that might be causing this lag? I really love this game especially custom maps, and the only servers playing custom maps (appart from empty ones) are Game Arena servers, so if this problem can't be resolved I'll be quite upset.

Once again thanks in advance for any help!

Adam.

edit: Forgot to mention I'm not so knowledgeable in IT stuff, so if you need me to do any traces or tests or whatnot please explain in full how to do it, cheers :)

Colt

Post by Colt » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 am

Any ideas?
Yes, play on the Exetel server instead.

220.233.0.145:27015

Hehehe, had to be said.

I've got no problems here myself, do hope you get it sorted though. These sort of contention issues seem pretty hard to track down in my experience.