12 Midnight to 12 Noon 48 gb Reminder

Old, inactive threads
Orkon

Post by Orkon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask what date the email was sent advising of the change to 48GB as the change limit (from 72GB).

It doesn't affect me (or hasn't so far). I received the original dated 3/12/2007 (72GB limit before charging), but haven't seemingly received the further notice indicating the furter reduction of the charging limit to 48GB. I only received the "reminder" today (being 1/2/2008)

If anyone has a copy of the email, could they PM it to me, it would be appreciated (with the date it was posted).

Thanks!

Edwin

Re: 12 Midnight to 12 Noon 48 gb Reminder

Post by Edwin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:If you reach 47 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period your internet connection will be temporarily blocked by sending you to a 10.x.x.x. page where you will be required to ‘click’ on a statement acknowledging you are aware that downloads over 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period are chargeable after 48 gb. Your internet connection will be ‘instantly’ restored when you acknowledge this.
Is there going to be an opt-out option from day one as discussed earlier? I much rather pay $3/gb than being cut off.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Edwin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:If you reach 47 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period your internet connection will be temporarily blocked by sending you to a 10.x.x.x. page where you will be required to ‘click’ on a statement acknowledging you are aware that downloads over 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period are chargeable after 48 gb. Your internet connection will be ‘instantly’ restored when you acknowledge this.
Is there going to be an opt-out option from day one as discussed earlier? I much rather pay $3/gb than being cut off.
You can restore the connection in a few seconds.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Orkon wrote:Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask what date the email was sent advising of the change to 48GB as the change limit (from 72GB).

It doesn't affect me (or hasn't so far). I received the original dated 3/12/2007 (72GB limit before charging), but haven't seemingly received the further notice indicating the furter reduction of the charging limit to 48GB. I only received the "reminder" today (being 1/2/2008)

If anyone has a copy of the email, could they PM it to me, it would be appreciated (with the date it was posted).

Thanks!
If you got an email today then you are as informed as you need to be,

If you got the December email and the February email but not the January email the most likely reason is your sam filter deleted it or you just deleted it without thinking.

The main reason for putting in the 10.x.x.x temporary suspension is that we see comments like yours saying they didn't receive an email.

If you are required to acknowledge a reconnection there will be no chance of that happening.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:You can restore the connection in a few seconds.
My only issue is that I run rsync backups over ssh during the night. In case I do go over 48 GB this will most likely happen when I'm deep asleep. I'd prefer if I could opt-out as I really do not care if I have to pay.

I understand this is probably to hard to implement, just thought I would ask as you previously mentioned that this could be arranged.

trev

Re: Interesting....

Post by trev » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 pm

danander11 wrote: The agreement that I entered in to with Exetel when I signed up for service promised unlimited downloading from 12a-12p. Now I am told that that is not the case and that I will be charged extra for any downloads above a certain amount. Wouldn't a provider assume max use during this period and plan for that?
You are mistaken. Exetel has never promised "unlimited" downloading from 12a-12p and always reserved the right to modify or completely abolish at any time the variously described over the years "bonus", "free download" or "uncounted download" amount/period for which you did not (until now) pay and to which you have no contractual right.

I suggest you re-read the details of the plan for which you signed up.

The 2006 text read, inter alia:

"This “bonus” may be reviewed or varied at some future time but has been in place since Exetel commenced offering ADSL services in February 2004"

and

"This 'bonus' may not continue but there are currently no plans to remove it"

The current incarnation reads inter alia:

"Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with."

So it looks like Exetel has abolished the "abolish" option.

tocpcs

Re: Overseas, but still using home machine on ADSL?

Post by tocpcs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:00 pm

stix wrote:
tocpcs wrote:
stix wrote:More curious than anything (since I very much doubt I'll reach any limit), but what would happen if you happened to be overseas, but still using your Aussie home system by, say ssh, and reached the limit?
Stating the obvious, but you'll need to access the web page and click the Accept button.
Haha! Yes, very funny. Either that's a joke, or you've missed the point of my question.
No, it wasn't a joke, and no, I didn't miss the point.

You'll need to have someone at the connection point access the web, get redirected and click Accept.

I guess the alternative could be a feature in user facilities to state you accept it for now and into the future, so there is no case for complaint (ie. Some opt out of the plan).

Or, you can fetch the source of the web page when you first get hit by it, and write a script to check if the remote address is 10.x and send the form data automatically (though for 3 months its probably just easier to click Accept over 3 months, or not go over).

It's just the way the technology works (10.x IP won't be routable).

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 pm

Edwin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:You can restore the connection in a few seconds.
My only issue is that I run rsync backups over ssh during the night. In case I do go over 48 GB this will most likely happen when I'm deep asleep. I'd prefer if I could opt-out as I really do not care if I have to pay.

I understand this is probably to hard to implement, just thought I would ask as you previously mentioned that this could be arranged.
Move your rsync to during 'awake' hours for the next 3 months to avoid the email (or move it when you get close to the 48GB (emails beforehand will tell you)).

danander11

Post by danander11 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:13 pm

trev wrote:
danander11 wrote: The agreement that I entered in to with Exetel when I signed up for service promised unlimited downloading from 12a-12p. Now I am told that that is not the case and that I will be charged extra for any downloads above a certain amount. Wouldn't a provider assume max use during this period and plan for that?
You are mistaken. Exetel has never promised "unlimited" downloading from 12a-12p and always reserved the right to modify or completely abolish at any time the variously described over the years "bonus", "free download" or "uncounted download" amount/period for which you did not (until now) pay and to which you have no contractual right.

I suggest you re-read the details of the plan for which you signed up.

The 2006 text read, inter alia:

"This “bonus” may be reviewed or varied at some future time but has been in place since Exetel commenced offering ADSL services in February 2004"

and

"This 'bonus' may not continue but there are currently no plans to remove it"

The current incarnation reads inter alia:

"Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with."

So it looks like Exetel has abolished the "abolish" option.

Perhaps, However, the main point remains.. I sign up for a service, and then the service is changed after the contract is agreed on is not fair by any stretch of the imagination... According to this practice, you could sign up for an 8k, 24GB plan, they could give it to you for one day, then change you to 64bps, 1GB and still be within their rights.. Would that be fair? THAT was my complaint, not the limit.. (which due to crap service I could never reach anyways).

In all fairness to them, I think it's a decent thing to offer you a warning if you are approaching the limit instead of just sending a bill to you at months end..

The point of my post was to point out the irony of my situation.. regarding limits.. It took me a little over 5 days last month to d/l a 5gb file.. connected 24 hrs a day. and whilst the file was d/l'ing, my browsing speed went into the crapper. When I am not d/l'ing anything, my browsing speed is slow at best, and comes to a complete halt a lot of times when trying to view pages from the states..

My speed is all over the place and rarely is it acceptable. I am using the same equipment that I used with TPG, where I never had these problems.. I came to exetel for the additional usage rates. So much for a bargain.

Feel free to regard me as a disgruntled customer, because I am.. The service I recieved, (both in product and with customer service), was terrible and in the end, I got blown off with no reasonable explanation... therefore, I am unhappy.

As I stated before, I recommend to the people I associate with to not use exetel, and I will be leaving when my 6 months is up.

Glad things are working OK for you though...

Peace!

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:18 pm

danander11 wrote:Perhaps, However, the main point remains.. I sign up for a service, and then the service is changed after the contract is agreed on is not fair by any stretch of the imagination... According to this practice, you could sign up for an 8k, 24GB plan, they could give it to you for one day, then change you to 64bps, 1GB and still be within their rights.. Would that be fair? THAT was my complaint, not the limit.. (which due to crap service I could never reach anyways).
But you have missed the point - if you signed up for a 8k 24GB plan, you would still be getting a 8k 24GB plan with no change to that.

The off peak has never been part of that 24GB.

BillV

Post by BillV » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:04 am

ForumAdmin wrote: The main reason for putting in the 10.x.x.x temporary suspension is that we see comments like yours saying they didn't receive an email.

If you are required to acknowledge a reconnection there will be no chance of that happening.
I agree, also people will see that they have reached their limit and are about to start paying extra.
I believe this practice should be permanent.

samarium

Post by samarium » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:21 am

I'd still rather have the option to just acknowledge the charge in user facilities, and not get the redirection. I'll generally not get near 48G, however on those occassions I go over a bit, Exetel's $3/GB is not a problem. Certainly very reasonable compared to certain other ISPs charging in the order of $150/GB.

Further, there is no guarantee that I'll get the redirection anyway if it conflicts with my internal use of 10/8, or as has been previously been started, if I have batch processing such as an mirror sync.

And as for the person who has trouble downloading a 5GB file over days, I seem to have no problem doing 20GB in a night building a mirror, and that is only using and 8192/384 ADSL1 connection, so Exetel's service in general is perfectly capable, though the remote site he is using may not be, or maybe the tail circuit he is using is the problem, though if you can get reasonable speed using Exetel's speed test site, then it implies the problem is at the remote end of the connection, or the internet in between.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 am

Definately - I would want to be able to use data at the billed rate, with pre-acknowledgement.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

stix

Re: Overseas, but still using home machine on ADSL?

Post by stix » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:24 am

tocpcs wrote:
stix wrote:
tocpcs wrote: Stating the obvious, but you'll need to access the web page and click the Accept button.
Haha! Yes, very funny. Either that's a joke, or you've missed the point of my question.
No, it wasn't a joke, and no, I didn't miss the point.
Ok, my mistake, I obviously misread the tone of the email.
You'll need to have someone at the connection point access the web, get redirected and click Accept.
Somewhat challenging, but possible.
I guess the alternative could be a feature in user facilities to state you accept it for now and into the future, so there is no case for complaint (ie. Some opt out of the plan).
+1 on this. I'd rather pay than be thrown into an RFC 1918 Class A gaol.
Or, you can fetch the source of the web page when you first get hit by it, and write a script to check if the remote address is 10.x and send the form data automatically (though for 3 months its probably just easier to click Accept over 3 months, or not go over).

It's just the way the technology works (10.x IP won't be routable).

danander11

Post by danander11 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 am

GaryG wrote:
danander11 wrote:Perhaps, However, the main point remains.. I sign up for a service, and then the service is changed after the contract is agreed on is not fair by any stretch of the imagination... According to this practice, you could sign up for an 8k, 24GB plan, they could give it to you for one day, then change you to 64bps, 1GB and still be within their rights.. Would that be fair? THAT was my complaint, not the limit.. (which due to crap service I could never reach anyways).
But you have missed the point - if you signed up for a 8k 24GB plan, you would still be getting a 8k 24GB plan with no change to that.

The off peak has never been part of that 24GB.
Yes, You, and others, are correct.. I remembered incorrectly what I had signed up for and, in fact, DID get it wrong with regard to the usage limits, and exetels right to charge for it..

I am frustrated by the quality of service I get, the (non) help from the customer support people I got, and slow browsing times period.. So I ranted..

I acted childishly and vented in a knee-jerk reaction to something I did not take the time to read fully..

So to exetel, and the folks that wasted the time to read it.. I apologize... But only for that. My level of service still stinks and my frustration remains..

Peace!