12 Midnight to 12 Noon 48 gb Reminder

Old, inactive threads
tocpcs
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Online

Post by tocpcs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:41 am

yasak wrote:I don't know if this is off topic but:
So is there a still pool between 36gb to 48gb??
or the speeds should be same regardless if we download i.e. 10gb or 47gb?
There is NOOOO Pooling.

<in the words of the indian guy off that nutjob show "National Bingo Night>.

Alcor1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 11:16 am

Post by Alcor1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:51 am

James wrote:
CordlezToaster wrote:
It could be done and I'll ask for it to be added to the list.
Add this to the list:
Once off peak limit has been reached start to use our onpeak allowance. Once its all gone, then charge us the $3gb.
Or not.

It totally defeats the purpose of on and off peak allowances.

Come on, it is obvious that is not the case.

A I previously stated. The purpose of peak and off-peak is to direct traffic to the cheaper off-peak time band. It should be up to the user if they wish to use their `expensive' quota during the `cheap' time.

As for the step backwards, I usually feel that Exetel limits its profits to give its customers the best possible deal, but there have been a few exceptions.

The move from pro-rata to multiples of $3 for excess downloads, the removal of the no-monthly-fee VOIP plan, the removal of the referrer scheme and now this. Throttling back excess users' speed at various thresholds was just fine, this is a step-backwards. And charging two excess download fees in multiples of $3 just takes the cake.

Sure, companies need to make some money to survive, but they should at least be honest about it. Back in the day, Exetel would say something like "the profit margin on X is too small for it to be viable etc". Now that they have a solid client base it sounds a lot more like "we are removing some of your benefits but we feel you are still getting a good deal, if you don't like it go somewhere else".

It is just disappointing to see that Exetel is starting to lose its original ethos.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Post by James » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 am

Alcor1 wrote:
James wrote:
CordlezToaster wrote: Add this to the list:
Once off peak limit has been reached start to use our onpeak allowance. Once its all gone, then charge us the $3gb.
Or not.

It totally defeats the purpose of on and off peak allowances.

Come on, it is obvious that is not the case.

A I previously stated. The purpose of peak and off-peak is to direct traffic to the cheaper off-peak time band. It should be up to the user if they wish to use their `expensive' quota during the `cheap' time.

As for the step backwards, I usually feel that Exetel limits its profits to give its customers the best possible deal, but there have been a few exceptions.

The move from pro-rata to multiples of $3 for excess downloads, the removal of the no-monthly-fee VOIP plan, the removal of the referrer scheme and now this. Throttling back excess users' speed at various thresholds was just fine, this is a step-backwards. And charging two excess download fees in multiples of $3 just takes the cake.

Sure, companies need to make some money to survive, but they should at least be honest about it. Back in the day, Exetel would say something like "the profit margin on X is too small for it to be viable etc". Now that they have a solid client base it sounds a lot more like "we are removing some of your benefits but we feel you are still getting a good deal, if you don't like it go somewhere else".

It is just disappointing to see that Exetel is starting to lose its original ethos.
48 gigabytes off peak is very generous, if you go over this you will pay a very small excess fee - if you're not happy with that, don't go over.

Exetel has provided the lowest cost excess fees in Australia for the last four years, feel free to move to Telstra's $150/gigabyte if you are unhappy with $3/gigabyte.

We offer $30 per ADSL1 referral, I don't see any other ISP offering referral bonuses like that?

It costs money to provide VoIP accounts, we are simply passing on our cost in providing this.

Exetel still stands by its original ethos in providing the best value DSL services in Australia.

Alcor1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 11:16 am

Post by Alcor1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Exactly...

ajarm1
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by ajarm1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 am

Unfortunately I am not at home at the moment, but my wife just called me to say that she has reached the 'blocked' address (she read it out as something like 10.something.exetel.com.au/blocked), but there is no link for her to click on - it comes up with a 'page cannot be found' error. She is using an Apple laptop with both Safari and Firefox showing this error. Is there any way I can acknowledge reaching the limit via the member facilities, or could I get a forum admin to acknowledge it for me?

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:46 am

ajarm1 wrote:Unfortunately I am not at home at the moment, but my wife just called me to say that she has reached the 'blocked' address (she read it out as something like 10.something.exetel.com.au/blocked), but there is no link for her to click on - it comes up with a 'page cannot be found' error. She is using an Apple laptop with both Safari and Firefox showing this error. Is there any way I can acknowledge reaching the limit via the member facilities, or could I get a forum admin to acknowledge it for me?
Please send an email to:

raymondl@exetel.com.au

bingggo
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 pm

Post by bingggo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:00 pm

I found the blocked page doesn't seem to be working as expected. I exceed 48gb 24 hours ago (eg. sometime on Tuesday morning), but my net continued to work normally this (Wed) morning in offpeak. Then some time during today the net appeared to stop working. This afternoon, in ON-peak, it still wasn't working. I power-cycled a couple of times. No dice. Then I entered exetel.com.au and got the front page, then I clicked on 'forums' and got the 'blocked service' page, and successfully unblocked myself.

Presumably it's not meant to work like this? It should just come up immediately to let you know this is not just an outage :)

---
Using Mac 10.4.11 and Safari 3.

James D

Post by James D » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 am

bingggo wrote:
Presumably it's not meant to work like this? It should just come up immediately to let you know this is not just an outage :)
Thank you for letting us know, it will be looked into.

raymond
Exetel Staff
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Post by raymond » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:19 am

We send the custome to usage block page when the download is over 47GB. The block process happens at 10:10am everyday. Say if you download 46GB up to last Monday and another 1 GB on Tuesday, you should see the block page at 10:10am on Wendesday.

We check the router and didn't find any problems.

dragon
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:06 pm

Post by dragon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm

hi, i just went over the 47gb this morning and at 12pm the internet stopped working. previously before it was going slow and once it hit 12 the internet stopped and redirected me to the page "blocked.exetel.com.au" but the webpage doesn't work.
And now during on peak the internet is still down.
Could i get any help on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dragon

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 pm

dragon wrote:hi, i just went over the 47gb this morning and at 12pm the internet stopped working. previously before it was going slow and once it hit 12 the internet stopped and redirected me to the page "blocked.exetel.com.au" but the webpage doesn't work.
And now during on peak the internet is still down.
Could i get any help on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dragon
Please email:

raymondl@exetel.com.au

dragon
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:06 pm

Post by dragon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm

thanks for the quick reply.
i've sent the email.

raymond
Exetel Staff
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Post by raymond » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Dragon, your service has been re-instated by me manually.

I couldn't find the problem for your connection. You said that you cannot access any sites. It would be better to send me the screenshot of the page, e.g. blank page, format error, restore button not working....

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:34 am

The first month of charging for downloads over 48 gb in the 12 midnight to 12 non period has produced the exected effect with less than 250 residential plan users exceeding 48 gb for the month:

99969
88094
68102
65689
64257
62724
62144
61593
60148
60051
59133
58354
58326
58092
58070
58055
57506
56864
56712
55949
55675
55391
55243
55107
55002
54956
54836
54800
54570
54406
53982
53958
53708
53554
53524
53522
53315
53145
53063
52915
52835
52772
52740
52632
52616
52495
52344
52293
52130
52127
52049
51902
51831
51825
51704
51700
51685
51384
51381
51311
51282
51277
51250
51143
51141
51067
51055
51021
50966
50963
50854
50748
50739
50717
50700
50695
50688
50683
50574
50506
50471
50448
50421
50320
50292
50252
50239
50207
50174
50138
50090
50031
50022
49919
49897
49839
49787
49784
49773
49767
49745
49745
49741
49727
49697
49671
49666
49632
49626
49583
49571
49459
49380
49359
49321
49313
49303
49253
49240
49215
49182
49178
49149
49134
49126
49124
49121
49118
49115
49109
49099
49093
49090
49051
49037
49025
49020
49003
48976
48966
48948
48944
48942
48940
48925
48911
48903
48871
48871
48871
48870
48870
48856
48837
48836
48817
48813
48806
48777
48765
48762
48761
48757
48750
48728
48691
48678
48639
48633
48629
48620
48615
48609
48597
48569
48565
48559
48559
48536
48534
48514
48507
48481
48459
48433
48425
48423
48413
48385
48384
48372
48367
48366
48360
48358
48356
48353
48352
48299
48292
48290
48262
48257
48250
48237
48236
48227
48206
48184
48168
48162
48158
48158
48147
48139
48129
48113
48109
48102
48098
48090
48089
48085
48074
48064
48063
48051
48039
48037
48027
48018
48015
48008
48008
48007

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 am

Only 5 business plan users exceeded the 48 gb allowance in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period:

68289
66967
51103
48553
48422

Post Reply