No PPPOE Auth

Old, inactive threads
dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:57 pm

kenttregenza wrote:I agree Dick - why close tickets if they aren't closed? I've posted this on another thread. Why not have ticket status like "we're working on it...."
All well and good ... but there's a reason that this occurs. When you think about it, Exetel (as does a large number of organisations who provide support) deal with thousands of support requests each day. Often the first one or two solutions work, and because a significant proportion of people are generally quite non-responsive or impossible to get when it comes to issues being resolved or not it's generally easier to just close the job than to spend 99.9% of your day chasing people up to find out whether it solved the issue or not. If it's something that needs to be followed up on, the end user will typically send a reply email to say that it hasn't worked or provide the results of the action taken, which is enough in Exetel's case to make sure the case gets progressed.

mediaatt

Post by mediaatt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm

dogwomble wrote:
kenttregenza wrote:I agree Dick - why close tickets if they aren't closed? I've posted this on another thread. Why not have ticket status like "we're working on it...."
All well and good ... but there's a reason that this occurs. When you think about it, Exetel (as does a large number of organisations who provide support) deal with thousands of support requests each day. Often the first one or two solutions work, and because a significant proportion of people are generally quite non-responsive or impossible to get when it comes to issues being resolved or not it's generally easier to just close the job than to spend 99.9% of your day chasing people up to find out whether it solved the issue or not. If it's something that needs to be followed up on, the end user will typically send a reply email to say that it hasn't worked or provide the results of the action taken, which is enough in Exetel's case to make sure the case gets progressed.
I agree in part, but the ticket continued to get closed when the had been "lengthy" posts regarding the issue - that is what get up my nose..

DICK

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:59 pm

mediaatt wrote:I agree in part, but the ticket continued to get closed when the had been "lengthy" posts regarding the issue - that is what get up my nose..

DICK
This has been explained - people don't always go back and close the ticket when they've had the problem resolved. This is the most efficient way of Exetel to do support, and you know how to work the system now.

Personally, I think that having tickets close automatically, instead of taking hours/days/weeks longer to resolve is the better alternative.

Anthony.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

kenttregenza

Post by kenttregenza » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Can I just put in my 2c... now that everything is working...
Personally, I think that having tickets close automatically, instead of taking hours/days/weeks longer to resolve is the better alternative.
Personally I think that they should follow the normal practice of ticket management like most professional companies. This is how I imagine most IT service companies would do it...

1. Customer raises a ticket

2. Service manager sees ticket, assigns a Service Person to handle it, puts it in a "processing state"

3. When details emerge on the issue like "waiting for Telstra" there is some note made by the SP. Ticket status remains "processing" (or a sub-status with details) and Customer gets email of the details (or SMS or email to alternate email address supplied via ticket system)

4. If a Customer gives more information the ticket status doesn't change there is just a notice (for the SP) of a new post.

5. If the 3rd party says its fixed (or the SP fixes it) then the ticket is updated with the details of the fix. The status could then go to "fixed - awaiting customer confirmation". Email to Customer.

6. If the Customer confirms - case closed.

7. If the doesn't confirm cause they weren't bothered... then it automatically gets closed after a time - lets say 7 days - and it becomes "closed" with a note saying confirmation was timed-out (to the Customer).

8. If the Customer states it isn't fixed they can indicate it isn't and the state moves to "processing" again.

9. The customer can "cancel" the ticket at any time and its status is "cancelled"

It really is simple... the Exetel engineers don't have to chase customers just fix things that are assigned to them in a "processing" state.

If you want to get technical they could even have sub states in processing like - awaiting Telstra, requested hardware, investigating issues. Plus system could have a feature like re-assign jobs if their workloads are too much. Maybe even a common fault tagging... the list goes on.

Now if Exetel doesn't have a quality ticketing system you must wonder why - it causes more work (and thus costs them $$$) when people aren't happy with no idea of what is going reopening their tickets all the time... calling, posting to forums ;-) and generally crying out in despair. Bad for the companies profile... bad for their marketing... bad for the engineers stress levels who have to put up with upset customers.

I do agree the engineers need to focus on fixing problems - that is why you have a good ticketing management system to give them that opportunity.

Anyway there is my short essay on the subject.[/quote]

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:09 pm

kenttregenza wrote:This is how I imagine most IT service companies would do it...
From what I understand, Exetel's system is predominately automatic, which uses a process that eliminates a large number of fault tickets from needing to be looked by an actual engineer.

When the ticket is first logged, the customer receives a reply detailing a number of scenarios that are known to cause many problems, and the associated fixes, and the ticket is closed.

The customer works through the various suggestions, and if the problem is fixed, then all is good, and neither the customer nor Exetel need do anything more.

If the problem is not fixed, the customer replies to the ticket (as is described in the initial email) advising that the problem is still present, and the fault ticket is then re-opened and assigned to an engineer, for further resolution.

This system minimises the cost of fault resolution, which keeps the prices down.

If you were to put in place a system, where every call is scrutinised by a live person, the costs would rapidly increase.

jcooke

Post by jcooke » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat as it seems alot of you. My internet went offline Friday 15/2/08 and remains that way. I am located in Park Ridge on the southside of Brisbane. I find it odd to read that people are having problems with PPPoE, i too had the same problem. For 10 months I have been using PPPoE and it suddenly stopped working a few weeks back. I change to PPPoA, all is fine. My modem does both so I wasn't overly worried.

I logged a ticket Monday morning and have been in regular contact with the Support staff there. The problem has been found to be with Telstra at this stage as the auth requests are not making it to Exetel's auth serves. My sync light has been on for most of the time, with only yesterday loosing sync for most of the day. I did receive 3 automated phone calls from Exetel advising of tests/repairs yesterday.

Although this has been open for 4 days now, exetel support team has always responded to my emails within a reasonable amount of time.

Pav L
Exetel Staff

Post by Pav L » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 am

jcooke - if you would like me to follow up on this fault please pm me the fault ticket or your service number.

jcooke

Post by jcooke » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks Pav, ticket number is 644940, for some reason this ticket is now closed even though my last update was last night of "Still no update on this fault, we will endeavour to provide on the 21/2." from yourself.

Thanks again.

CarltonAl

Post by CarltonAl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi all, I have just registered with Exetel, and attempted to connect yesterday. I have a Billion 7100Pro and run Mac OS X Tiger. When I try to connect, and I don't select the 'Connect Using PPPoE' option in Network Preferences, I can access the Exetel website, but no others. Even when I try to navigate here to the forums, it comes up with a page saying that I am not correctly logged in ( I am accessing this from Work now). I have put in the username and password as Exetel have given them to me, but when I try to connect using PPPoE it says 'Cannot Connect to PPP Server'.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to fix this problem? Thanks very much in advance! If you need any more info please let me know!

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 pm

CarltonAl wrote:Hi all, I have just registered with Exetel, and attempted to connect yesterday. I have a Billion 7100Pro and run Mac OS X Tiger. When I try to connect, and I don't select the 'Connect Using PPPoE' option in Network Preferences, I can access the Exetel website, but no others. Even when I try to navigate here to the forums, it comes up with a page saying that I am not correctly logged in ( I am accessing this from Work now). I have put in the username and password as Exetel have given them to me, but when I try to connect using PPPoE it says 'Cannot Connect to PPP Server'.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to fix this problem? Thanks very much in advance! If you need any more info please let me know!
Could you PM your number so i could get your connection looked at.
Martin
eXeTeL Support