Unreasonable Latency to WoW

Old, inactive threads
WMA

Unreasonable Latency to WoW

Post by WMA » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 pm

So for a while now I have been experiencing patchy latency and download speeds - at times I get a solid 4-500 kB/s download speed, which can drop to as low as 20kB/s - usually sitting at around 150kB/s - 202kB/s in the most problematic times.

The random degeneration in speed would be bad enough, if it weren't for the unreasonable latency / connection issues that occur in WoW at around the same time - it goes from a solid 270 - 402 MS with no seeming packet loss, to around 500 - 800 MS, sometimes in the 2000 range, with a seemingly large amount of packet loss (Nothing occurs on screen and then suddenly it 'warps' to the present time as I synch with the server).

Any Exetel staff able to help with this issue, which it seems wasn't / isn't related to the P2P issue which has apparently been resolved?

Fwiw, these errors occur most frequently after 6:30PM.

Edit: Currently acting up at the moment so I did some download tests on Speedtest.net with nothing else running - seems slow speeds are much more likely to international sites:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/233841097.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/233841801.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/233842169.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/233842406.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/233842626.png

gabriel2551

Post by gabriel2551 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:24 pm

I have been having these problems for a month now :)

latency , packet loss and disconnects

WMA

Post by WMA » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:53 pm

To quote myself:
I love how if Exetel staff think they're in the right or its a customer issue, they're no more than 5 minutes to jump in and carry on with "Not an exetel issue, have you tried doing this/this/this" - yet when multiple people chime up with an issue they're oddly silent and not to be found.
From an old WoW thread(Issue apparently resolved there) - this is more in reference to the thread which got closed before.

*Awaits the 'Have you issued a fault ticket' retort* - worked real well last time - I logged on the next day and saw "Issue Resolved - User is connected".

So I come here looking for help, as you'd expect on a "User Help Forum" - only to be told by staff they can't help me here. Smooth.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:48 pm

WMA wrote:So I come here looking for help, as you'd expect on a "User Help Forum" - only to be told by staff they can't help me here. Smooth.
Exetel staff can't work miracles you know. There are many different reasons for volatile WoW latency and only some of them fall within Exetel's power to resolve. Would you rather have Exetel staff lie to you?

WoW issues have been around for a fairly long time now and they are not restricted to Exetel; many are Australia wide and ISP independent. There are numerous posts on the web and on this forum to try to attempt to improve ping speeds and latency issues.

Spanner_Man

Re: Unreasonable Latency to WoW

Post by Spanner_Man » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 pm

WMA wrote:.....Currently acting up at the moment so I did some download tests on Speedtest.net with nothing else running ...
I wouldn't trust Speedtest.net for a bandwidth test.
If you really want to test/flog your connection then download multi files from multi locations at the same time. For example....
Find Windows XP SP2 Network install (180 odd MB in size)
Find a *nix iso file from two distributions (eg Ubuntu and Fedora)
Download all of them at the same time, wait until the download speed becomes stable then add up the totals between all three.
That will give you a bandwidth speed test.
To find out your ping you need to enter the command prompt and perform pings in random packet sizes.

WMA

Post by WMA » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:06 pm

So I've tested and replaced every piece of hardware related to the issue, and still get terrible lag starting at exactly 6:00 and lasting 15 - 60 minutes

Problems gotten worse the point where it's laggy all day, and spikes massively at 6:00pm(strange how it's always 6:00 on the dot).

I dropped a ticket in but no response as of yet - any Exetel staff able to shed any light on this issue?

WMA

Post by WMA » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:20 pm

So after finally getting a reply, even after outlining all the things I'd done, and that it was not an issue on my end I got told by some presumably out-sourced 'helpdesk' personnel to change my MTU. I did so, and surprise, no fix, fantastic.

Pav L
Exetel Staff

Post by Pav L » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:46 am

WMA - do you know if you experience high latency just anytime? or is this only WoW, could you please pm me your service number and i'll look into this.

WMA

Post by WMA » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Pav L wrote:WMA - do you know if you experience high latency just anytime? or is this only WoW, could you please pm me your service number and i'll look into this.
The issue is periodic - some times the connection runs fine, other times it goes to hell - 99% of the time it happens at 6:00PM(among other times) - it affects all services - i.e. Latency in WoW goes up to around 700 - 800, and my download speed goes down to about 10 - 50 kB/s down from 300 - 400kB/s. I seem to experience higher latency when doing ping to Australian and overseas sites as well.

WMA

Post by WMA » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Seemed I was getting somewhere on the ticket I lodged, but I haven't had a response for a week - seems almost definitely packet-loss related, as anytime I run some ping tests when experiencing high latency I have 15 - 30% packet loss to numerous sites.

It seems to also have quite a significant impact on my download speeds too - with speeds after 6:00PM degrading to 30-70kB/s on average.

Not really too happy with the speed with which this issue is being resolved either, since I first ticketed it almost a week and a half ago and I haven't received any information on when the problem could potentially be fixed either.

JanakaDS

Post by JanakaDS » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 pm

WMA wrote:Seemed I was getting somewhere on the ticket I lodged, but I haven't had a response for a week - seems almost definitely packet-loss related, as anytime I run some ping tests when experiencing high latency I have 15 - 30% packet loss to numerous sites.

It seems to also have quite a significant impact on my download speeds too - with speeds after 6:00PM degrading to 30-70kB/s on average.

Not really too happy with the speed with which this issue is being resolved either, since I first ticketed it almost a week and a half ago and I haven't received any information on when the problem could potentially be fixed either.

Would you please get some speed test from the following website and email the results to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au ? Also please mention your service number and this URL so I can investigate your problem further.

www.ozspeedtest.com -> bandwidth test -> exetel mirror

Do this test about 3 times.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:45 pm

JanakaDS wrote:Would you please get some speed test from the following website...www.ozspeedtest.com -> bandwidth test -> exetel mirror
I would really love to see some consensus in the speed testing procedures recommended among Exetel staff. While speedtest.net and ozspeedtest (even the Exetel mirror option) are probably good enough for users to quickly test their own speeds I do not think they are consistent or reliable enough to rely on for slow speed fault lodgement. They just plainly fluctuate too much. I think the following tests are more stable and indicative of your connection speed:
  • Speed test at Exetel - http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php. Why even host a speed meter if you don't promote its use?
  • Downloading files from mirror.exetel.com.au. This should max out your connection as good as any speed test
  • Download test of 3-4 simultaneous files from microsoft.com, apple.com, perhaps even including mirror.exetel.com.au as well.
Why is it that ozspeedtest.com results are asked for at all? Because for a formal speed lodgement you usually require at least a mirror.exetel.com.au download test to be performed anyway?

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Corey,

My understanding is that speedtest.net should be avoided as a reliable source of speed. I've just done a speed test here using speedtest.net after a router upgrade, and I can confirm that it is about as useful for testing speed as a thermometer is for measuring out a teaspoon of butter. I've just pulled about 60mb of files off an FTP site with all files coming down in excess of 400 kilobytes per second - and my current speedtest.net results (with nothing else running) indicate that I should have been downloading those files at about one-sixth of those speeds! Wow, a speedtest.net showing less than 20% of what my connection is actually capable of!

The other two would be a far better indication of what you should be capable of. A test file from mirror.exetel.com.au will pull something from a local source, and because it's all within Exetel's control should give you an idea of what you should be achieving under ideal circumstances. The 3-4 simultaneous downloads will test external sources. Those should give you more realistic figures.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I would really love to see some consensus in the speed testing procedures recommended among Exetel staff.

Speed test at Exetel - http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php. Why even host a speed meter if you don't promote its use?
There is not much point in hosting this as it does not work.

This is the result when clicking on that URL.

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
www.exetel.com.au
Sat Mar 8 14:54:09 2008
Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 pm

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php

Corey just put a full stop at the end, by accident.