Akamai Activation

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Akamai Activation

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 pm

The Akamai servers have now been installed and have been 'live' for a little over a week now.

They are delivering a peak of 80 mbps of traffic from their caches and this should be reflected in much faster downloads for major software products such as:

MSF
Symantec
Trend Micro
Some facebook, myspace
Apple downloads
Graphic from NY times
News Media
PSN
Software download sites

Any feedback would be appreciated.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Hello, great news and it appears to be working brilliantly.

Last night i downloaded i-tunes from apple as a test and was getting roughly 700KB/s (im on 8Mbit).

And just now i downloaded aprox. 170MB's of windows updates for a new computer. They were flying along as well, average speed of 700KB/s and peaks of 850KB/s

Since iinet blocked access to their Akamai cache I would normally get anywhere from 60KB/s to arround 200KB/s from microsoft updates. A brialliant improvment.

Thanks

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:54 pm

ottyacat wrote:Hello, great news and it appears to be working brilliantly.

Last night i downloaded i-tunes from apple as a test and was getting roughly 700KB/s (im on 8Mbit).

And just now i downloaded aprox. 170MB's of windows updates for a new computer. They were flying along as well, average speed of 700KB/s and peaks of 850KB/s

Since iinet blocked access to their Akamai cache I would normally get anywhere from 60KB/s to around 200KB/s from Microsoft updates. A brilliant improvement.

Thanks
Very nice to hear.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Are sourceforge.net files akamai-tised?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:30 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Are sourceforge.net files akamai-tised?
I don't think so. They tend to be distributed by one to one peering agreements.

Anthony Michaud

Re: Akamai Activation

Post by Anthony Michaud » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:The Akamai servers have now been installed and have been 'live' for a little over a week now.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
On a 512/512 internet connection, speed isn't an issue, however latency appears to have dropped. Didn't have any metrics before, but a definate "wow - that was faster" when doing a manual updates scan on a machine, and subsequent page refresh times.

Anthony.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:39 am

I don't have any feedback (sorry!) but I do have a question:

Will the Exetel Akamai servers be likely to cache streams from www.motogp.com?

I know the answer is probably no, but I know they do use Akamai and I'm considering signing up to it again, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, would live streaming be 'sped up' by the Akamai servers? I can't imagine it could be?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Bundy wrote:I don't have any feedback (sorry!) but I do have a question:

Will the Exetel Akamai servers be likely to cache streams from www.motogp.com?

I know the answer is probably no, but I know they do use Akamai and I'm considering signing up to it again, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, would live streaming be 'sped up' by the Akamai servers? I can't imagine it could be?
I don't think streaming services are cached on the server farm level Akamai have put in to Exetel..

It would be sped up if it were, though it would probably not make any noticeable difference.