Yet another slow off peak connection speeds.

Old, inactive threads
Extreme

Yet another slow off peak connection speeds.

Post by Extreme » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:28 am

ok, ran an ozspeedtest, the results are as follows:

Test run on 23/02/2008 @ 01:06 AM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 19.57 secs

Your line speed is 1.25 Mbps (1252 kbps).
Your download speed is 156 KB/s (0.15 MB/s).

now my problem lies in streaming audio. i listen to an online radio show on friday nights, which starts at 12am, finishes at 6am. Now exetel, on their naked adsl plans page, advertise speeds as: From 1536/256 kbps.

as above, i'm using the exetel mirror for my speed test. the above results are below their from(as i interpret this as minimum) speeds, i see exetel failing to adhere to their own AUP:

9. Downloads in the 12 midnight to 12 noon period

* 9.1) These conditions apply from 1st February 2008 until further notice for ADSL1, ADSL2 plans that have an initial service period of 12 months and Wireless plans that have an initial service period of 30 days:
o a) All references to time are Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Summer (Daylight) Time when that applies.
o b) Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient internet bandwidth between the hours of 12 noon to 12 midnight each day (Peak Period) to avoid congestion during those hours.
o c) In the event that any Customer downloads more than 48gb during the Off Peak Period in any calendar month, Exetel will charge the excess usage at $3.00 per gb or part thereof.
o d) Exetel may at any time change or cancel the time periods during which downloads by a Customer will not be counted towards the quota for downloads under the Customer's Service plan or modify the amount of downloads permitted for a Customer so long as the Customer's Service plan is complied with.

Now, due to my speed problems, i fail to see how exetel, is providing me with sufficent internet bandwidth during off peak periods. I have noticed that alot of other users of exetel ADSL2+ are also experiencing this problem.
i'm putting this complaint in writing, and will be awaiting a written response from exetel, before pursuing to take my complaint further, in accord with Exetel's Terms & Conditions:

11. Complaints and disputes

11.1 If the Customer has any complaints in connection with the Service the Customer may complain in writing or by calling Exetel.

11.2 Exetel will handle all complaints in accordance with its complaints procedure which is available from Exetel on request or on Exetel's website: www.exetel.com.au.

11.3 Exetel will use its best endeavours to resolve all complaints, however if Exetel is not able to resolve a complaint to the Customer's satisfaction, the Customer may take other action, such as informing the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, the Department of Fair Trading or Department of Consumer Affairs in the relevant state or territory.

11.4 Where a Customer's complaint is about a fee or charge for the use of the Service, Exetel may suspend payment obligations, for that fee or charge only, until the complaint has been investigated and resolved. All other fees and charges that are not in dispute remain due and payable.

11.5 Where a Customer's complaint is about a significant and sustained loss of access to, or use of, the Service which is not reasonably attributable to the Customer or non Exetel owned equipment, the Customer may be entitled on request to a refund or a rebate of any access fees for the period in which the Customer's access or use was interrupted (including when an Intervening Event occurs) as stated in the Agreement or under the law.

I feel that i am paying for a service, and living up to my end of the agreement, but the supplier, being Exetel, is failing to live up to theirs.

My advice for any other users experiencing these problems, to take the same course of action against exetel.

Thank you,
David Kenyon

ChRiSoIsOnLiNe

Post by ChRiSoIsOnLiNe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:55 am

Be carefull dude everyone is having problems if you complaine about Exetel service they lock the topic and edit the bits they dont like then they slow ya even further and the charge ya account for something they shouldnt have my experience anyway perhapes the TIO is the way to go whats the bet they take this post out .... heheheh

funkz

Post by funkz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:15 am

Me too. I'm in Melbourne on the Blackburn exchange, and speed is very slow off peak. They should rename it to peak, and rename peak to off-peak. During other times, I often get downloads of 300-400KB/s, which is great. It's just the huge disparity between off/peak that is quite eye opening.

Code: Select all

Test run on 23/02/2008 @ 11:05 AM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 64.16 secs

Your line speed is 382 kbps (0.38 Mbps).
Your download speed is 48 KB/s (0.05 MB/s).
C'mon guys, how long is this going to go ignored? I accept 50KB/sec was great speed for 512K ADSL, but it's 2008 and we're all (in this ADSL2 forum) on 24MBps ADSL2+, but only getting 3% of the maximum possible speed (yes, assuming I sync'd at that speed which I don't). Surely an upgrade of the external/intercity links is on the cards? At least let the users know so we can know something is being done. Just don't make the solution the same as other ISPs by reducing download limits.

Apart from that, the service is great and I love being with Exetel, don't get me wrong. A refreshing, small ISP that offers a lot of value. I appreciate their efforts to go carbon neutral and allow their customers to do the same, as well as make donations to various charities. Just would love to have speedier service during these 'off' peak periods.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Some clarification to specific points:

Extreme,
I think you are misreading the terms and conditions:
Extreme wrote:i listen to an online radio show on friday nights, which starts at 12am, finishes at 6am
i see exetel failing to adhere to their own AUP:
b) Exetel will endeavour to provide sufficient internet bandwidth between the hours of 12 noon to 12 midnight each day (Peak Period) to avoid congestion during those hours.
Now, due to my speed problems, i fail to see how exetel, is providing me with sufficient internet bandwidth during off peak periods
Exetel endeavours to provide sufficient bandwidth from midday to midnight (i.e. peak periods). There is no clause in the AUP that refers to the period in which you are experiencing slow speeds. Infact, in almost all of the threads posted on this forum, users admit that although their off-peak speeds are low, their speeds during peak periods are quite sufficient (just see funky's post above as an example). So Exetel are meeting their stated requirements.

Funky,
Funky wrote:but it's 2008 and we're all (in this ADSL2 forum) on 24MBps ADSL2+, but only getting 3% of the maximum possible speed
Actually, we're all on 1.5Mbps minimum, up to 24Mbps ADSL2+.

To all readers,
While I will concede that there does seem to be post-midnight speed issues I will stress that they are not systemic (I can regularly manage 3-4Mbps in off-peak times and I know of other users who can manage the same) and where slow post-midnight speeds do occur, they are typically in the range of 500kbps-1Mbps speeds. Though this is below the 1.5Mbps ADSL2+ minimum threshold, in most cases peak speeds are well above 1.5Mbps so it may be argued that average speeds are adequate.

However, I would stress that there are multiple stages of ADSL infrastructure and there is a good chance that the issue resides in the infrastructure owned by Optus / Powertel and resold by Exetel. If this is the case, Exetel have no control over its resolution, and no access to diagnostic tests to confirm that this is the cause.

joregelt2

Post by joregelt2 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 am

I am in Melbourne (Windsor exchange) on adsl2 (naked adsl). Billion 7404 vgpm latest firmware. No other devices plugged in. Sync speed 16000/850
I have been with exetel less than 1 month.
Throughout that time the speed after midnight has ALWAYS been terrible.
During the day, it is ok, but still much worse than a well functioning adsl1 link at 8000kbps.
Basic web usage (i rarely use p2p) surfing streaming audio/video is painfully slow after midnight.
Here are some test results. I cannot for example view youtube videos, abc streaming audio etc..., and reading web pages requires a lot of patience.

exetel speed tests
http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1 http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1
http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*24/02/2008*] @ [*12:42 AM*]

Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*600 KB*]
Test Time: [*44.57 secs*]

Your line speed is [*110 kbps*] (0.11 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*14 KB/s*] (0.01 MB/s). )]

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
Test run on [*24/02/2008*] @ [*12:45 AM*]

Test Time: [*85.1 secs*]

Your line speed is [*57 kbps*] (0.06 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*7 KB/s*] (0.01 MB/s). )]

Test run on [*24/02/2008*] @ [*12:46 AM*]

Test Time: [*66.87 secs*]

Your line speed is [*73 kbps*] (0.07 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*9 KB/s*] (0.01 MB/s). )]

I don't think these results are very good at all. Hardly adsl2, infact hardly adsl at all.

Please give me some suggestions on what I can do to improve things.

daniel

Tox

Post by Tox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 am

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

My peak speed is between 900 - 1000 KB/sec

My off-peak speed is between 20-100 KB/sec

What is the point of paying for an ADSL2 connection and only getting 20 KB/sec ???

CoreyPlover's comment about getting 3-4Mbps speeds doesn't really help any of us that are complaining about getting slower speeds than a 512 plan !!!!!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:53 am

Tox wrote:What is the point of paying for an ADSL2 connection and only getting 20 KB/sec ???
You are not. You are paying for an ADSL2 connection in order to get 900-1000KB/s.
Tox wrote:CoreyPlover's comment about getting 3-4Mbps speeds doesn't really help any of us that are complaining about getting slower speeds than a 512 plan !!!!!
One, 900-1000KB/s is much faster than a 512 plan.

Two, My comments are only intended to demonstrate that the issue is more complicated than some users recognise. Since some users (like myself) can get 3-4Mbps speeds post-midnight and others (like yourself) only get sub-512kbps, this suggests the issue is not bandwidth provisioning at Exetel (which theoretically, we both share in equal portions) but might be exchange, or backhaul congestion which may depend on the aggregate downloads occurring from users connected to your exchange. This implies that the issue may be outside of Exetel's control.

Note that I use the word "may". I do not know the cause of the issue and I can only assume that Exetel are aiming to resolve it. But one thing that I will continually stress is that these speed issues are only restricted to a fraction of the day. i.e. midnight - say 3am for some users, maybe midnight to close to midday for others. This means that you should really place your speed complaint in context and instead of saying "you are getting slower speeds than a 512 plan" you should be saying "you are getting slower speeds than a 512 plan from midnight to 3am, but my speeds at other times are perfect"

Tox

Post by Tox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12 am

Ok CoreyPlover .... I agree with everything you have said but i thought it was obvious that i wasn't complaining about my peak times .... just my off-peak times (just like eveyone else is in these forums).

Just thought I'd also add that I haven't had any problems with Exetel for the 3 or so years I've been a customer (except problems that weren't their fault eg Telstra) it's just been the last month or so I've been getting hopeless off-peak speeds.

Because of the slow speeds I've been downloading large files during the day instead of at night and this month I've gone over my limit by 5Gb so I now have to pay an extra $15 for my service this month :(

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 am

ChRiSoIsOnLiNe wrote:Be carefull dude everyone is having problems if you complaine about Exetel service they lock the topic and edit the bits they dont like then they slow ya even further and the charge ya account for something they shouldnt have my experience anyway perhapes the TIO is the way to go whats the bet they take this post out .... heheheh
In the 1,000+ posts I have made to these forums I have yet to see any of my, or other people's posts get removed for complaining about Exetel's services. By definition this is a help forum, so almost every post is about a service complaint. The aim of this forum is to resolve these issues, not bury them.

Your clearly misinformed, incorrect and utterly ridiculous comment about having your service impaired or account charged for your complaint just reeks of BS. In addition, you clearly do not understand the purpose of the TIO, which is to enable customers and the ISPs to resolve any outstanding issues. They are not established as an authority to resolve complaints, only to act as a mediator.

The only reason why your post would be removed is because it is fallacious and sensationalised garbage that is irrelevant to the thread it was posted.

I am available via PM if you wish to respond. Please do not fill this thread with anymore offtopic remarks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:21 am

Tox wrote:Ok CoreyPlover .... I agree with everything you have said but i thought it was obvious that i wasn't complaining about my peak times .... just my off-peak times (just like eveyone else is in these forums).
I apologise if it seemed I was attacking your comments personally. I only meant to use your comments to highlight the attitude of posts made by other people. I'm glad you recognise this issue in an unbiased way.
Tox wrote:Because of the slow speeds I've been downloading large files during the day instead of at night and this month I've gone over my limit by 5Gb so I now have to pay an extra $15 for my service this month :(
One option for you may be to step up to a higher plan to reduce the excess charges (I do not think that such plan changes incur a fee or a contract change and still enable you to step down at any time in the future). Another would be to just defer your large downloads until the issue resolves. After all, these 48Gb of off-peak downloads were always considered to be "bonus" allocations.

However, even at 20KB/s, 12 hours a day still gets you 850Mb per night or about 25Gb per month, so I would argue that you are still able to queue up large downloads in off-peak times.