Existing ADSL2+ => Naked ???

Old, inactive threads
flak

Existing ADSL2+ => Naked ???

Post by flak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Just wondering if there were any updates on the subject of a "churn" process to move existing ADSL2+ users over to a Naked plan?

This has been outstanding for a while.

* I realise this is an issue with the wholesaler, but some progress would be nice *

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:51 pm

I doubt it will be available anytime soon.

flak

Post by flak » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:07 am

James wrote:I doubt it will be available anytime soon.
So there is no hint of a timeline?

That is disappointing, may be time to start looking at which provider can provide a naked service with the minimal downtime.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Why should the downtime matter so much? After all, it will rarely exceed 14 days and you can easily get dial-up internet replacement in the interim, perhaps even convince a friendly neighbour to share their internet wirelessly?

In the end, you will be entering a 12 month contract for Naked ADSL service. The downtime should really be a minor inconvenience and it is the pricing, speed and reliability you should be concerned about as you will have to use these for 12 months, as opposed to just 14 days.

In fact, under Naked ADSL, you will necessarily get a new VoIP phone number anyway, right? If you are really keen, could you get a second phone line activated to your house, activate Naked ADSL on that line, then terminate the first one?

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:03 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Why should the downtime matter so much? After all, it will rarely exceed 14 days and you can easily get dial-up internet replacement in the interim, perhaps even convince a friendly neighbour to share their internet wirelessly?
You realise that as you won't have a phone line as well, if you are on the Optus plans, the downtime would have to include that, so no dial up.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I also wish they could transfer the existing number like iiNet can do (and I have no wish to use them for ADSL2).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm

I would think the downtime can be limited to just ADSL by first cancelling the existing ADSL, then switching the Optus phone line back to Telstra, then applying for Naked ADSL. This probably causes a little more than 14 days ADSL downtime, but should minimise phone downtime.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I would think the downtime can be limited to just ADSL by first cancelling the existing ADSL, then switching the Optus phone line back to Telstra, then applying for Naked ADSL. This probably causes a little more than 14 days ADSL downtime, but should minimise phone downtime.
You could be right there though I would expect the phone and ADSL might have to be cancelled together. I wonder if someone who has cancelled the service to go back to Telstra might comment on the phone downtime?

buzzedman

So what is the best way to migrate to Naked DSL ?

Post by buzzedman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:00 pm

So do Exetel suggest a way for existing ADSL2+ (inc phone) users to migrate to Naked ADSL2+ ?

If I have to put in a new application will I have to pay the full "new user" connection fee etc. ?

I understand that the problems may lie with the wholesalers, but surely Exetel can recommend a way to migrate to the Naked plans (still with Exetel).

Buzz

richardk
Exetel Staff

Post by richardk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:28 am

Good Morning,

At the moment we have no process to transfer a phone / Internet customer to Naked ADSL 2+.

The only way that you can connect to Naked ADSL 2+ is move the telephone service back to Telstra. Then once the phone service is connected back to Telstra equipment you can then apply for the Naked ADSL 2+ service.

It would cost the full activation price and a 14 working day turn around time before the service is connected.

Thank You

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

Thank you Richard for that.

Is there any likelihood in the future of being able to keep an existing number with the transfer?